Always Protected My Ears and Still Got Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sharpfire, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Sharpfire
      No Mood

Sharpfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi There,

I'm from the UK, male and 20 years old

It just dawned on me that tinnitus may be with me permanently, and I'm going to have to learn to deal with it, but I really don'y know how. I can feel depression starting to develop, hope I'll get through this.

Some history:

Note: "go/went out" refers to going clubbing

Started uni in 2012/13, before this I rarely visited high noise venues such as nightclubs (less than once per year). I went clubbing frequently for the first time when I started uni, and noticed the ringing in my ears for a few hours afterwards. I google'd it and found out it was due to the loud noise, and it soon faded. As a precaution, I purchased earplugs and used them whenever I went out.

2013/14 - second year of uni, I didn't go out much till the end of the year, when I went out multiple times a week. At one point, I ended up with the ringing again but this time it lasted for a more than a day (unlike previously). I purchased premium musicians earplugs this time, and they provided very good protection. The ringing soon faded (after a few days I think), and I just assumed I'd be fine with the earplugs since that's what the general consensus is on the internet.

2014/15 - third year of uni, started in October, didn't go out clubbing till Nov/Dec because of my dissertation and graduate job applications. Went out 3/4 times in the last week of first term (semester). No ringing that I could remember. Always had my earplugs in, and they worked extremely well in terms of reducing the volume. Christmas holiday comes around, no clubbing at all, and one day when writing up my dissertation - there it is. It just came out of nowhere and hasn't gone ever since. From what I've seen on the net, it seems to be 13800khz and coming from inside my head (as opposed to an ear). I don't know how to describe the volume, but I can't hear it at all in a busy dining hall, I can sleep with it (when tired), but can hear it over conversation and typical white noise (but not loud fans or fan sounds). However, i can barely concentrate with it, which may affect my studies. Every time I try to focus on something, I just randomly become aware of it. It's driving my nuts and I've just been crying, shouting, punching stuff, etc etc because I can't bear the sound of it, and I really thought I was safe.

I've since returned to uni, and have quit clubbing all together, but the sound still persists, ~6 weeks on. I've seen three doctors in total: first one (2 days after noticing) said it will go away after a few months, second looked in my ear and said there's a lot of ear wax and that removing it should do the trick - removing it made no difference whatsoever (both to my hearing and to tinnitus). Third doctor (saw today) refereed my to an ENT (I have to wait a few weeks, probs month(s)) and said it's permanent unless a cause can be found.

I just don't understand... I pro-activley tried to protect my hearing and yet... I end up with tinnitus. Loads of my freinds who go out all the time and even made fun of me for wearing earplugs to nightclubs are perfectly fine........

Will it be permanent or will it go away after a few weeks? Also, is it safe for me to play Fan sounds on my speakers to mask it? I don't want to make it permanent by doing so, or make it worse than it needs to be.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I don't go to clubs anymore even though my hearing is perfect. Not worth damaging ears over a drink or some club girl.

3. MikeS
      Mellow

MikeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car accident
      Sharpfire - not all tinnitus is due to ear problems. Mine is from a car accident - head & neck trauma.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I wore earplugs around 80% of the time during loud events, i went once to a concert without earplugs when i was 17, still got tinnitus more than 10 years later but i guess it's due to bad luck + being a musician...

it's hard to know yours goes away, some people have tinnitus for 7 years and it goes away like magic...

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Don't feel bad, it can happen to anyone. I *always* wore earplugs to concerts, and in fact, never got tinnitus after leaving them because I was so active with protecting my hearing.

It wasn't until I was listening to my headphones on way too high volume, totally oblivious it was too loud because my hearing was doing a great job adjusting and tricking me into thinking it was a fine volume, that I got it.

Some of us are just bound to get it I think, and others are not. Good news is that people are researching it en masse these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You've got that right. Here is the # publication that pops up when using ''tinnitus'' as key word in an academic search engine:

pubs vs time.png

Exponential growth in the release of papers on tinnitus since the 80's. Now I don't know if there is a genuine increase in tinnitus research or this follows the increase in academic publications in general.

7. TMLB

TMLB Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Hi,

I think you would a good idea for you to go to see an audiologist to have a hearing test. Make sure you see a registered audiologist and find out if they have experience with tinnitus prior to going, that would be best.

There's no reason from my tinnitus that can be determined. I didn't know that I had hearing loss to any degree until I had the hearing test; the test will actually indicate as to whether any hearing loss is associated with noise. It took me some time to resolve that I didn't do, or not do, anything to cause my hearing loss and the tinnitus. An audiologist experienced with tinnitus will be able to provide you with information that will help you to accept that sometimes it just happens. You are not alone in not knowing what caused it -- the important thing is to not beat yourself up about it or to continue revisiting what you did or didn't do. That's not always easy to do and if you can find a health professional to talk to about it, that will really help. Also, the British Tinnitus Association has some very good information on their website which might help in finding someone to help you.

Will it go away? I think that's where you need a professional opinion. There's always hope that it will go away or that you will habituate to the sound so that it fades to the background. --- That's what I'm working on.

Playing fan sounds? I downloaded white noise to my I-Pod and plug that into a speaker at night and play it while I sleep. I'm told some people turn on the fan in the bathroom and that helps. I have a friend that uses a floor fan at night and that helps him. The key is not to be in silence. Always have some sort of background sound on that isn't intrusive -- i.e. music you like, talk radio, water fountain, nature sounds.

8. Stacey427
      Alienated

Stacey427 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Hi there @Sharpfire

I kniw what you are going through, it's not easy being young and having this! I am the same, went out less than my friends and i ended up with the T.

I know right now it feels like it's your lowest point, and over the course of time you'll have your many ups and downs.
      You will start to improve mentally with the battle.

I made changes and wear earplugs all the times I feel I need them etc. I still wouldn't go to very loud clubs etc. because even with earplugs I'd rather not risk it. But that's not my scene now anyways.

Also, you are just a newbie and there's still a chance it will die down or go away! Do not dismay.

I now nothing anyone can say will fix you right now, but I anyone can offer you is support and time x

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sharpfire
      No Mood

Sharpfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Cheers! That post (thread starter) was from Feb and I have a completely different mindset now. Back then I was an absolute mess.