An Ultra Low Sodium Diet Has Cut The Volume & Tone

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by BobbyR, Mar 25, 2015.

1. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Just a quick note to those who are suffering like I did and still do. After being a patient at a major university hospital's tinnitus clinic without success, I embarked on finding out more about what I could do to help myself. Somewhere I came upon some literature about sodium (salt) and how it was something that could aggravate one's tinnitus. So I did something radical.

I started cutting out all (or as much as I could) sodium from my diet. I started reading the packages of things I had been eating (frozen foods, etc.) and I was shocked by how much sodium I was consuming. So I threw those things out and I started eating and drinking things with little or no sodium in them. It was hard! But within a week, the volume of the ringing in my ears went down by almost half and the tone went from a high pitched squeal to a low buzz.

When I have fallen off the no sodium diet, the ringing has increased. When I go back to the no sodium diet, the sound goes back down. I think I'm on to something here. What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      I am trying to do the same thing. I certainly think you have something. I have cut out coffee, alcohol, chocolate, salt (as much as I can) and just trying to eat better. one night I had two glasses of red wine and Chinese food. I thought my head was going to explode with the pressure and volume. I drank two large glasses of water and the volume went down after a few hours. Diet is very important. I am also trying to loose weight. Drink two glasses everyday of water. Tonight I had shrimp with my salad and the buzz is back when it was soft. Lesson learned. Have to start reading labels.

3. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Think diets can effect people in different ways for t. However, wonder if your particular t is related to blood pressure. Low sodium helps bring high blood pressure down.
      Having said that, they are also researching re t, potassium channels (good) and sodium channels (bad). So glad it is working for you.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      Fascinating, @BobbyR! Have you tried getting on a diuretic, like hydrochlorothiazide? This systematically purges your body of both excess fluid and sodium at the same time. I've found some minor connections between being on HCTZ and Tinnitus, but nothing ever conclusive. Great to hear you are feeling better!

5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @BobbyR - If I consume more than just a little salt for a few days my tinnitus comes back to an annoying level. It's 3 years today since I got T. The first year I basically spent panicking, worrying & being all over the place but years 2 and 3 have been spent testing various foods because I found that eliminating some made my T go away completely. Even after all this time, some foods are uncertain - I eat something and it makes my T start. I then have to look at all the ingredients and go through another 'testing' phase to find out which is the culprit. Weirdly, there are many foods that are 'good' for us that affect my T badly. Like lemons and pineapples. Citric acid is bad for my T as well and it is in SO many foods.

But salt has consistently been a factor - if I accidently have too much (over 2g a day approx.) I can hear the buzz. If I keep it really low (& don't consume the other food triggers), I have no T at all after the initial 'morning t' (after waking).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @click
      Really encouraging and hopeful for many. Thanks.
      May I ask what the initial trigger or reasons for your onset were?
      Cheers,
      Lisa

7. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      @Lisa88 Hi Lisa,

I believe that it may have been caused by moving to a house in a remote area with absolute silence at night, from living for years in a pretty noisy community. Three weeks after moving in I woke up with T screeching in my head. I have since sold the house & moved.

I'm sitting in absolute silence as I type. The only problem with this though is that it's hard to habituate. My brain can't get 'used to' the sounds of T because it comes and goes.

I hope you find a way of managing yours.

Best wishes, Jane

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Mr cricket

Mr cricket Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      If its in a box, frozen or out of a bag.. Don't eat it!!
      Eat lots of nuts and none acid fruits.. watermelons are good.. OJ is kinda bad.
      peanuts are bad, almonds are good.. steak good.. Chinese food terrible..

Its all about your blood pressure.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I heard if you cut oxygen it resolves T eventually.

Lucky you! I wish mine would come and go. Trust me, if you have intrusive reactive T there's not way to hab. ! C'mon let's trade for a week, pls.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Mr cricket

Mr cricket Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2014
      For those people fairly new to this shitty condition. No way of knowing whether not it's permanent until the sufficient and out of time is past. So it's good not to discourage people from trying different foods combinations. T or not it's good to have a healthy diet. When I had high amounts of sodium the condition i.e. the sound would increase drastically especially in the beginning the first three or four months.

11. Mike TerMaaten

Mike TerMaaten Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 20, 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2013 GMC Sierra pickup truck

I fully Agree

..was gonna ask though, Steak is Good ? ..i do not agree