Antidepressant Spike — My Lexapro Was Increased Yesterday

Discussion in 'Support' started by kevin b, Mar 22, 2014.

1. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I assume it is normal, but I T has spiked all day. My lexapro dose was increased yesterday. Has this happened to anyone else and usually how long should it last?

2. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Personally I have not experienced it, but from reading other posts spikes caused by drugs should be just temporary.

3. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      This is from kevin hogan he is dr of psychology. I know some on here aren't fans of his but I think he has good information on t and has helped many people with t. Anecdotal evidence I've seen suggests t spike from anti d are temporary but I would do a bit more research into it. I'm sure others here have some experience with it.

http://www.kevinhogan.com/FAQ.htm
      NOTE: For most people that are going to improve, tinnitus will INCREASE when you take an antidepressant for the first day or two or maybe even week or two. It comes back down. (You can try and keep the volume up by attending to it and avoiding the other things necessary to cause reduction!) This means the medication is doing it's job in the brain. Don't become upset when the volume increases. Assume it will. A helpful metaphor: The medication is "plowing snow from the highways" in your brain. It takes time to clear paths so they are neat and clean. Give it a few days. I remember these few days myself...they drove me nuts and weren't easy...and they were worth every

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I take 10 mg lexapro and thought about going up to 20 mg. even though my T is noised induced, uping my dose could cause an increase in my T? I take klonopin sometimes and if anything it calms my T

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I don't know enough about it to give you a definite answer but from what I have read it can cause a temporary increase in t.
      Kevin hogan seems to think this means that the drug is working properly and will have positive effect on t.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Nice then i guess if my anxiety keeps up ill think bout upping my dose at some point.

7. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Kevin I was wondering how the spike is now? Hope you're doing better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      I'm taking 10 mg of Escitalopram and I noticed an increase in my tinnitus today. Do I trust it will pass in two weeks or do I talk to the psychiatrist to change medications?