Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Many of our members have reported some benefit from Mirtazapine (Remeron). I don't think it has directly alleviated tinnitus in most cases, but can be a wonderful sleep aid, for example. And we all know how important that is...

You could approach your doctor in a roundabout way, saying for example that you were in a tinnitus support group where people had experienced positive benefits from taking mirtazapine, and that it had improved sleep (length, quality) in several people.

Like said, it's not addictive, and doctors generally prescribe it without much hesitation...

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Jarek

Jarek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Mirtor (mirtazapina) is the best drug to sleep for me.

3. inadmin

inadmin Member

is it an AD? SSRI?

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes, and no.

The below from Wikipedia:

Mirtazapine (brand names: Avanza, Axit, Mirtaz, Mirtazon, Remeron, Zispin)[6] is a noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant (NaSSA) that was introduced by Organon International in the United States in 1996[2] and is used primarily in the treatment of depression. It is also commonly used as an anxiolytic, hypnotic, antiemetic and appetite stimulant. In terms of structure, mirtazapine can also be classified as a tetracyclic antidepressant (TeCA) and is the 6-aza analogue of mianserin.[6] It is also racemic and comes as a combination of both R and S-stereoisomers.[6]

Its patent expired in 2004 and hence generic versions are now available.[7]

5. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      As stated in @Markku's post, Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant. In many ways it bears similarities to its precursor, Amitriptyline (Elavil), which is a tricyclic antidepressant. Both can make you sleepy (often considered a happy side effect) and both can cause weight gain (usually considered an unwanted side effect). Mirtazapine can be viewed as a "cleaner" drug than Amitriptyline, however, as it generally will have fewer side effects (e.g., dry mouth).

-Golly

6. inadmin

inadmin Member

And for the simple question - does it have a potential to be a "mood lifter" or is it only a sleeping aid?

7. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I am not sure if "mood lifter" is the right term, but certainly Mirtazapine is effective as a treatment for depression in some individuals. As a medication, Mirtazapine is not usually a first course of action for depression (presumably because of its side effects of somnolence and, potentially, weight gain). Instead, doctors typically prescribe SSRIs or SNRIs.

Note that the therapeutic doses of Mirtazapine used to treat depression normally range between 15mg and 45mg. Paradoxically, the antihistamine effect of Mirtazapine, which helps you sleep, is more pronounced at the lower end of this range. That is, if used "off-label" as a sleep aid, one should take 15mg or less (I take 7.5mg before bed).

-Golly

8. HighDesertSage

HighDesertSage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Took Remeron for a couple of weeks. It didn't help with sleep. I didn't change the tinnitus, but it did turn my tongue brown and caused the salivary glands under the tongue to turn purple and become very swollen. Took one dose of Lamictal and it caused a huge t spike that went away a few days later. Tried Neurontin 100 mg. No change in tinnitus. Took a second 100mg; no change in tinnitus. Took a third Neurontin 100 mg and had a huge tinnitus spike that lasted for about a week.

9. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Has anyone got experience with dosulepin my doc has just changed me from trazadone to this dosulepin as a sleep helper to take at night as I've gone through a rough patch and feel trazadone not helping me anymore - only been on this new one a week but so far it's been less than helpful - anyone else tried this ? Cher x

• Useful Useful x 1
    10. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Hey everyone.

I decided to bite the bullet and start taking setraline (zoloft). Struggling with my mood so i felt i had to do something.

Took the first 50mg pill last night, no change in my T but I woke up with severe nausea and now my anxiety levels have gone through the roof and my thoughts have really darkened.

Is this part of the course for these pills? Really considering not taking another one.

• Like Like x 1
    11. @eldudebro,. I never had any anxiety before T, and never beeing taken any meds of any kind but was prescribed Zoloft by my doc when T hit me. I had the morning nausea like you during the first week but the anxiety that increased was more than scary, it was a brand new level that i didn´t even thought exist. As you say, very very dark thoughts that i never had before Zoloft or after that med. Not a single chance that i would take that crap again, maybe if you can get hold of strong benzos that can knock you out completely during the 4-8 weeks it takes for Zoloft to settle. After that you don´t know if you have to upper your dosage to get the right effect, more pure hell awaits.
      Said it before but Remeron turned everything around for me, got my sleep back (solid 7-8 hours/night). One side effect from Zoloft is poor sleep, not what a T-patient needs. Remeron also gave me the energy back to get out and do lots of long distance running which helped me a lot during the stressful first period. I am still grateful to the doctor that prescribed Remeron to me.

• Like Like x 1
    12. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      Yes I have never had any problems with anxiety or depression before I came down with the T.
      They are just such alien feelings to me , I think that's why I am struggling so much with them.

I'll take another dose tonight, if I feel any worse tomorrow I shall be discontinuing use.

• Like Like x 1
    13. I would have put myself in front of a train rather than eating more of them. Hard to ask a doctor for a prescription but try to get anything else if you have increased anxiety already, mine just got worse during the time i took it, then after 4-5 days off, finally down to manageable levels again.

• Like Like x 1
    14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I had horrible horrible anxiety for good 2-3 weeks after starting Zoloft.
      I was on it for about 6 months, did nothing for me.
      Now I stopped taking it.
      If you can get over this initial hurdle give meds a go and see if it makes any difference, for some people they are life savers.
      Also maybe try taking 25mg for a week then increase to 50g.

15. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi all,
      Just wanted to share this TED talk with you about the selective publishing of drug testing results.
      Good thing to keep in mind next time your doctor prescribes you a drug and when people say things like 'this drug is known or is thought to be safe for those with tinnitus'.
      It once again
      demonstrates how little we know about the drugs we take. Imagine how little we know about the specific (individual) effects of those drugs on tinnitus and our hearing.
      Maria

Ben Goldacre - What doctors don't know about the drugs they prescribe:

https://www.ted.com/talks/ben_golda...ted.com-facebook-share&awesm=on.ted.com_t08A9

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. inadmin

inadmin Member

Remeron

Hi all, been trying this drug for about two weeks, reading that it has a ״safe" profile. Would like to hear experiences of those who took/taking it. Woke up today with a spike and i'm very afraid to continue.

17. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Have good experience with it. Taking Remeron for one year now.
      Gives me a good sleep.
      My T is unchanged, it is a permanent spike.

18. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I have also been taking it for 2 months and my T doesn't seem to be effected by it one way or the other

19. inadmin

inadmin Member

So what you are saying i got a permanent spike? What is this based upon?

20. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      @inadmin
      Don't care. I just mean, my T is always loud and high-pitched. So when others talk about a spike, I see my T as a permanent spike. Has nothing to do with Remeron.

21. Remeron is tailor made for me. No side effects at all and just very good sleep and better mood. Been on them for 4 months.

22. MariaH
      Dreaming

MariaH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
    23. inadmin

inadmin Member

That's just great, thought i found something safe.... Up until now everything that is an AD has testimonies of people reporting T worsening....

24. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      everything and its brother and sister will cause tinnitus if you google it. want to try to find the percentage of people actually happened to? That might give you a logical answer

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      Does anyone take antidepressants that doesn't make their T worse.
      I've been very depressed and my shrink put me on Remeron (mirtazpine) for depression and sleep with gabapentin. No spikes but my T has changed sound a bit. I don't suffer anxiety attacks much now.
      I just get so brain fogged and tired most days. Part from depression I'm sure.
      He had me on ropinerole a dopamine agonist as well but I stopped as I felt it may have spiked my T although I did start to feel better.
      Any comments appreciated.

26. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I am thinking all the facts in this thread and I am getting nowhere.
      How many of us were depressed before tinnitus started? What makes psychiatrists so certain that there is something wrong with serotonin or dopamine in our brains? My brain was just happy before tinnitus.
      After tinnitus, constant anxiety is causing a form of depression that does not have anything to do with brain chemicals - it has everything to do with the noise.
      Therefore, I am highly doubtful whether any serotonin/dopamine/norepinephrine ADs can do jack for tinnitus... They may improve sleep, but that's about it. I've tried Valdoxan, Remeron, Seropram, nothing worked and I doubt anything ever will.
      The only things that can calm my T are benzos, the Z hypnotics and my current mood.

27. Larry OT
      No Mood

Larry OT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Volume, meds and motorcycles
      That raises a good question.
      The onset of severe tinnitus caused me extreme anxiety and depression.
      I'm dealing with anxiety better but for depression did the traumatic event of severe T cause a chemical change in me. The severity of the anxiety was unreal and landed me in hospital months ago.
      I now have physical problems I never had before and ones I did have are worsened.
      I have had depression issues in past, never fully addressed but now I am extremely low and have lost my ability to work and problems with wife are severe.
      Could the anxiety cause a chemical imbalance?

28. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I believe that, given enough time, anxiety can cause a multitude of problems, most of them being by definition 'chemical imbalances'.
      There is a Greek saying that goes "Πρώτα ασθενεί ο νους και μετά το σώμα", which roughly translates as 'the mind gets sick first, then the body follows'. Therefore, before we put our faith and hopes on ADs and benzos, we need to keep our minds focused on getting better. Myself included.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I have been on meds for depression YEARS before T. I agree to a certain extent but i also think ADs can help stop people from offing themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was on Cymbalta (Duloxetine) for half a year. Back then, I was encouraged to not read the information leaflet for some reason, so I didn't know that it could actually cause harm to my ears.
      It made my depression much, much worse and made me feel disconnected from everything.

But... no increase in T.