Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Shaun
      Tolerant

Shaun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2014
      Yes I think they do my mood has improved and the anxiety seems less,don't get me wrong I still get wound up about anxious about things that's just normal,but not as bad.another thing that has helped is cutting back on the booze.I'm no expert on these issues just speaking from experience.
      I'm not sure about the other meds you mention but you need something to take the edge off.that gut feeling is horrible,maybe some valium but not regularly only when your really uptight.I've read that agar 35 is good for anxiety is natural might be worth a shot.
      hope this helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      My T started within two weeks after being on Buspar. Coincidence? Maybe, but the drug was giving me bad dizziness too.

3. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Thanks guys!

http://www.siddhienergetics.com/products/agar-35 :

"In addition to the stress and anxiety-reducing effects, new reports have just come to us saying that both Agar 35 and Bimala are effective treatments for tinnitus. Tinnitus effects more than 10% of people, worldwide. Several people have claimed their tinnitus reduced by more than 60% after just a few days of taking Agar 35."

4. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      There really isn't any difference between ADs in which one might help more so with anxiety over depression and vice versa. The same area of the brain is affected for both anxiety and depression. That's not to say someone may find a medication that works better than another for her/himself.

The main knock with Mirtazapine is it tends to quit working over time compared to other ADs and some report major carb cravings. It can also cause a lot of drowsiness. However, you never know how it will affect you until you try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
    6. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Yes very hungry and tired and I was only taking tiny 3mg fragments.

7. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I tried it for several days on a couple of occasions for insomnia and anxety issues. It made me VERY groggy, but didn't help me sleep. I felt so fatigued the first few days and just spaced out - I had no choice but to quit it.

For pure sleep, I found Trazodone way more effective and not nearly as groggy as it has a short half-life. However, it's not really used for anxiety too much although can be after 150 mgs. It is often paired with SSRI if insomnia is an issue with that AD.

8. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I found them both fairly drowsing for about 12 hours or so then I'd snap out of it. I can't hack taking them and going to work but on a weekend they can work if needed. Apparently those effects wear off over a fortnight or so it may just be a difficult stage to get past.

9. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Thanks!

10. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I could see the drowsiness wearing off a bit in time...it's just getting through that initial dreadful period that is the big challenge (for me).

11. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      From the benzos topic:

avocat said:
      "People spend a lot of time here talking about medication potentially making T worse. You need help with your anxiety. Worrying about what benzos will and will not make your T worse will inhibit you from getting help if you won't try anything simply because someone on the internet said it may their T worse. You are always going to get ten different answers because everyone's experience is different.

I just see a lot of people here not getting the help they need and could potentially get from medication because they're so afraid to try anything because a couple of people convinced them it would make their T worse. The T is already unbearable and most people are here because they are having trouble coping. I'm not saying it's not a genuine concern, I'm just saying not to let a few people's personal experiences color your own choices."

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Many without T after some days use of remeron ( mirtazapine ) developed permanent T.
      Tetracyclic / tricyclic antidepressants are most dangerous for T & hearing loss.
      Personally i have talked with 3 persons that developed permanent persistent T after some days of remeron ( mirtazapine ) all persons was < 30 years and was the first drug taken in their life for some help in sleep.
      http://www.psikofarmakoloji.org/pdf/19_4_13.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @1MW

Well I will scrap that one from the list. Venlafaxine/Efexor is my first choice now because it helped people I know who have hyperacusis. They didn't get worse or even got less H.
      Now I have to convince my psychiatrist who I will see soon.

I already know that SSRI's are preferable over Tetracyclic /tricyclic antidepressants.

I also read on the Hyperacusis network that citalopram decreased somebody's H.

14. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I felt like me restarting lexapro and my h setting down coincided ...

15. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      I am beginning with Venalfaxine/Efexor tomrrow. Also alprozalam.

16. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Is the alprazolam only for short term use? Good luck!

17. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Yes, only for short term. Thanks.

18. SteveToHeal
      Insomnious

SteveToHeal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I tried Mertazipine one night for sleep. Dr said 1 or 2. Took one no effect other than to make me numb, body heavy. Mind still wide awake. So took another. Same effect. Could not function the next day. End of that.

Started on Sertraline AD 8 days ago. Anxiety has been through the roof. Started taking Clobazam to reduce anxiety during the day. Only thing that works. I'm hoping after 2 weeks of Sertraline, the anxiety will start to ease. Says after 4 - 6 weeks full effect. Obviously the depression should hopefully improve along with it but most pressing issue is the anxiety from no sleep.

Been taking Quetipine at night + Alzalopram. Still can't sleep. Tried Zoplicone. Didn't work. I think i'm so anxious and worried that nothing is working. I'm just grateful today that the Clobazam has kept me stable for the first time in a long time. None of that heavy heart or pain in the gut - anxiety symptoms. My partner has been on Clobazam for a while so i'm addressing the anxiety with meds. Then hopefully sleep will start to improve if nerves aren't ragged through endless days of anxiety.

Tried mindfullness meditation but just too subtle to respond to severe panic right now. In a new place so making it extremely difficult. Just putting it out there if anyone has had similar experiences.

19. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @SteveToHeal It's still early days for you and sertraline is known to make things worse before they get better. Hopefully shortly into the new year you will begin to feel the positive effects.

20. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      You might want to try Trazodone for sleep. It also has a short-half life so less daytime grogginess. I found it to be the best "sleep" med and I have tried them all. Mirtazapine had the same effect on me as you.

It's also not unusual to get an increase in anxiety for the first couple of weeks starting an anti-depressant as your body adjusts to the increase of Seratonin. This will pass.

21. @SteveToHeal . I could just stand Sertraline for two weeks at my T onset. I would have put myself infront of a train if i would have continue with that med. Never had anxiety even close to those weeks on it.

22. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      @Nick the Swede
      I heard/read it will take more than just 2 weeks to get used and after a while it starts to kick in (or not).
      The first weeks can always be worse.
      Also maybe the AD just didn't fit you, and another med is a better option you?
      It's not that I'm an experience expert. I just started Zoloft today.

A lot of people tend to quit AD's after a few days.

Don't take this as an advice, always discuss it with your doc.

23. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I thought you started on venlafaxine.

24. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Be careful with trazodone & mirtazapine are ototoxic.
      My experience with trazodone is that after 30 min of taking it i developed a new severe HF T only with 50mg.
      Also got other bad side effects such as dizziness vertigo cough and more.
      I understood that quickly and i drunk 5 liters water to detoxify after detoxification severe HF T stopped.
      I researched the other day and found many cases that developed T after trazodone.
      Also trazodone can not make good sleep.

In acute H try steroids big doses for 3 days and after that tapering.
      My H resolves 90% temporary with 32mg methylprednisolone.
      Also paracetamol has some temporary minor effect on H.
      Of course benzos relieve for short time H but after withdrawal you have more H
      so is not a good option for relief.

25. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Do you mean that they are ototoxic separately or when used at the same time? I've been using Remeron(Mirtazapine) strictly for sleep for a year now and have suffered no severe side effects. Probably because I need only less than half a tablet to fall asleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      They aren't ototoxic. It sounds like they caused a spike in the above case. The advice about steroids is also very questionable.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. DutchGuy

DutchGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, headphones
      Oops, I meant efor/venlafaxine.

28. jjnz

jjnz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I got T from the very first week that I started cutting down my effexor ( Venlafaxine) .
      There are numerous cases of this.
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3357564/
      Aside from my own experience (in which Tinnitus was the more pleasurable side effect of withdrawal), googleing Tinnitus and effexor / venlafaxine/ SNRI's will bring up a large number of cases.
      I for one would certainly NOT go on an antidepressant again, ever.

29. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      So has anyone had the experience like kevin Hogan talks about on his web page where the SSRI like zoloft makes the tinnitus worse initially and then go back down. According to Kevin Hogan this common? I was on zoloft for years before my tinnitus began, I felt normal on it. Since developing T I came off zoloft, I tried getting back on it but it flared up my T so bad I stopped it, I am just curious if I just rode it out for several weeks would it eventually go back down to its normal level because I really do need the SSRI. Anyone have any experience with it calming down after an initial flare while taking SSRI?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    30. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      I believe so. I have no personal experience but there are posts on here where people say just that. It's not going to make matters permanently worse so you might as well give it a 3 month trial and monitor what happens.

I too have been prescribed Zoloft (or the generic sertraline over here) but have never had the cojones to start them. I do plan to trial it at some point though and it's good to read that they have helped you in the past.

• Helpful Helpful x 1