Anybody Going to Grad School?

Discussion in 'Support' started by VaR, Dec 10, 2014.

1. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      Hi,

I'll be going to grad school for my Masters next year in the US. I just gave my GRE and I'm pretty concerned how to deal with tinnitus during exams, school work etc. If there is anybody who has an idea or could just give me some advice it would be great. Because my T just went Bilateral from Unilateral today and I am freaking out about my plans for the future.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Try to stay calm and keep on some background sound that lowers your signal perception. Just breath.

3. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Hello!

I just started my MBA last September! I think it really depends how loud is your T...

In my case, it's between 50 and 60 db. It cannot always be masked but I am happy to say that the university's ventilation system covers almost all of it, making me able to concentrate :)

Congratulations on your studies :)!! And don't let T ruin ANY of it!!

Anne-Marie

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @ampumpkin

I'm feeling a bit more positive so, yeah, I'm hopeful that I'll manage somehow. :)

5. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

@VaR I'm really interested in your experience with taking the GRE test and your tinnitus. May I ask how loud it is?

I spent a solid 2-3 months studying for the GRE last winter before my tinnitus went from barely audible to audible over daily noises. I used to be able to sit in the library all day with music playing or not and be fine. Now I can't do that.

I should have taken the GRE back then but I put it off as I couldn't apply to school until the fall anyway. Then, it changed and I don't know if I can handle being in quiet room for 4 hours let alone concentrating.

It sucks having all that work go to waste. I spent a lot of hours making sure I'd score at least mid 160s... I have to admit the test itself doesn't seem hard but it took me a long time to re-teach myself math that I hadn't seen since high school some 10 years ago lol.

So yeah, sorry long winded but please let me know how it goes for you as I still would love to go to grad school some day. Just can't imagine it being to day.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can't describe how loud it is, must be maybe a 4-5 I guess on a scale of 10. Well, I got a 315 in the GRE, so it wasn't bad and well, at that time I had unilateral tinnitus that has now gone bilateral. So, I managed to habituate and give the exam.

7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      My audiologist; Dr Ross Dineen obtained his phd in tinnitus management with tinnitus himself.

• Like Like x 2
    8. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      I writing my thesis and graduate with an MA in Geography in September, 2015.

• Like Like x 2
    9. avocat

avocat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I got through law school with tinnitus. A lot of soothing music while studying, not letting myself sit in silence. Absolutely throw yourself into your studies. It's a great distraction if you're in the right mind to do so.