Anyone Have Experience With Sound Therapies?

Discussion in 'Support' started by DebInAustralia, Jan 13, 2014.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      hi all

i wanted to ask if any of you could offer me some advice based upon experience with neuromonics Vs sound therapy that is meant to remap the brain?? Im a little confused.......and not because of the t (that's my normal state LOL)

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I am in the Neuromonics program now. Is Sound Therapy a brand, or you talking about TRT-styled sound therapies in general? I don't know about a program called Sound Therapy but there are different treatments outside the states, where I live, that I am not familiar with.

If you have questions about Neuromonics, ask away, I am only about one month in, though, so I can't speak to results yet. Too early.

3. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I tried Neuromonics, it did not work for me, but I use "notched" music and "notched" Restful Rain CD, played quietly, almost at all times - all the time when I'm in bed, and a lot of the time when I'm up and about. Within 2 weeks of music therapy, I noticed improvement, so I'm hoping things will keep getting gradually better. I have my ups and downs, and the downs can be really dreadful.

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      What exactly is "notched" music?

5. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      You sample music and remove the band of frequencies that your T is at. Suppose to retrain you're brain over time.

6. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      • Useful Useful x 1
    8. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have made some notched music. Problem for most people is you need a music editor that can do filtering and resampling of music. Normally these cost quite a bit. I can write a tutorial if it helps anyone?!

9. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Yes please!

10. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Tinnitus music therapy-A do it yourself guide
      . I followed this guys instructions. And and I was able to create notch music to my frequency in about 30 mins or so...

11. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      This is so cool!! Can't wait to play with this and give it a try! THANKS Peter1974!! :thankyousign:

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Bear with me guys,

Im a little duh, and heat affected today.......

mostly confused about the different terms sound therapy, notched music, neuromonics etc....told you I was duh!!

Im not even sure I can identify what I hear........and read somewhere that if the t is multitonal then neuromonics could do more harm??

13. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi,

Audiocity is free and has notch included (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). Bessel filter is best really because you can go 1 octive above and below your Tinnitus frequency (could not find this, pehaps a plug in). But anyway here is a quick tutorial on using Audiocity to create notch music.

-Install Audiocity
      -Load your mp3 track
      -Analyse plot spectrum (show full range of frequency's)
      -Select effect then notch
      -Type in your Tinnitus Frequency
      -Set Q to 20
      -Replot in frequency analysis and notch in your Tinnitus frequency band should be shown.
      -File > export > save file to MP3 ect.

If you want to do better notch music you can add the notch filter many times to create the lower and upper octive of your Tinnitus frequency. The guy explains this in the previous video I added.

Good luck.

Peter

14. peter1974
      Balanced

peter1974 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      One quick comment. It maybe that notch filter needs to be added more than once. Perhaps 3 times at a Q setting of 20 to attenuate the notch frequency.

15. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      and read somewhere that if the t is multitonal then neuromonics could do more harm??

Deb, I have not heard of this problem, although that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Here is a link to a 2009 independent study on Neuronomics:
      http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=13

You will see that a small group of patients did feel that the treatment harmed them instead of helped them, but it does not reference the tone. A lot of tinnitus is multi-tonal, including mine. It didn't keep the university from enrolling me in the program.

Neuromonics is a trade name, like AudioNotch, for a specific program and device. It uses sound and is sort of like tinnitus retraining therapy. It's goal is to remap the brain so that it ignores the tinnitus sound that its making. You also receive counseling from audiologists. The biggest rap against Neuromonics, I would say, is that its very expensive (and not covered by insurance), and that its manufacturers have oversold its success rate.

Many have argued that patients could do the same thing for themselves for a lot less money with an MP3 player and enough patience to wait for habituation, and that may be true. But I am kind of an electronic ignoramus, unlike many on this board, and I felt my best shot was to be guided by a professional.

16. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      Ladydi has it helped you any yet?

17. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi George: As I said a little higher in this thread, too early to tell. I am one month in as of tomorrow. You can't expect much until two to three months. I have had some moments, even hours, where my tinnitus seems very quiet, but can't be sure anything it is anything lasting. I will keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      LadyDi, How is Neuromonics working for you?

19. Piper the great
      Amused

Piper the great Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      I completed the Neuromonics in Dallas, it helped me get passed the T, my T score lowered a lot, I still have the T, but I don't let it bother me, it broke my focus.... TRT retraining but faster.....

20. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
    21. ajay

ajay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 yrs
      May be this is due to deficiency of:
      1. Vit B12
      2. Vit D
      3. Serum Iron
      Carry our appropriate tests to evaluate the above. in my case all these parameters were low, particularly Iron was low, i started taking iron suppliments advised by the doctor, i am feeling much better now. if it works for u please share with as many sufferers as possible and to me also.
      also check if u have any allergy, and treat it.

Best Wishes. :) Ajay