At the End of the Day It Is all About Time, Isn't It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Megatron, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Megatron

Megatron Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, Stress
      Hi all,

Have had T for 10 years - HELL In The beginning!!!!!
      Did everything - No cofffee, No alcohol, healthy Living etc.
      Nothing worked - one day habituation kicked In and Cannot say when it why.
      I Can hear my T above everything.

Now 2 months into second habituation since my T got much worse - HELL again but seeing small improvents.
      Just thinking - I Can do whatever omly time Will help.

Just my Thoughts.

2. Ann C.

Ann C. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      I hope someday the researchers and doctors figure out how to help us so that we don't have to wait to habituate.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      One good thing about habituation is that if you have a set back, it is easier to habituate the next time.

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wonder if, past a point, homeostasis can't really be rushed. That is, if the auditory system changes rapidly and abruptly after a trauma, then there's some "figuring it out" that the wetware has to do, to accommodate the new state.

So, if anything, if there's every a treatment to speed up habituation, I think it would have to be something that increased certain kinds of metabolism.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Sleaford Mod

Sleaford Mod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2005
      This is my hope too. Habituating to tinnitus was a dreadful ordeal in my case and took a very long time. It's good that - in the absence of a viable medication to alleviate the condition - there are psychological approaches to managing tinnitus that people can absorb and apply.

But even as an advocate of Mindfulness, I would never see MBCT as a substitute for something that eliminates or reduces the volume of someone's tinnitus, and the existence of this method does not obviate the need for a cure, simply because there are people out there who have been unable to habituate for whatever reason.