Can Some Tinnitus Sounds Be Blocked Out By Covering Your Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jesse Pinkman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Can some tinnitus sounds be blocked out by covering your ears? In other words, if you suspect that a sound youre hearing is a T sound and it disapears when you cover your ears, can you then rule out the posibility that it is a tinnitus sound?

2. Lisa Robinson
      Depressed

Lisa Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Yeah I've always wondered this. When I put my fingers in my ears I don't really hear the tinnitus but soon as they are out I hear it. I defiantly know its in my ears but then again maybe my head?

• Like Like x 1
    3. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The obvious answer would be yes, but I get a fluctuating humming noise at nightime that sounds like a lightsaber, I know for sure this in my T but when I block my ears it disappears! Maybe its because when I block my ears the humming noise is masked by the blood flow in the head idk?

My regular T is magnified greatly when I plug my ears, that's why I can't tolerate earplugs for extended periods without sufficient background noise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Tinnitus cannot be blocked by covering one's ears. In some cases, however, tinnitus can be altered or even temporarily ablated by putting pressure on the ears, around the ears, or within the ear canals.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

5. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      If you cover your ears with your hands you're probably distracted by the noise of your hands. They're actually quite noisy. Not sure if it is the noise of blood but something forms a distraction. Plug with earplugs and you focus on the T which then appears to increase.

6. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Even on my worst "drone" days I could never hear it when I block my ears with my fingers, it just mixes with the head noise you get anyway.
      Two new noises, ringing and hiss I can clearly hear blocked or not!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Agreed; it's the high frequency hiss that is impossible to hide from. The lower frequencies are comparatively easy to deal with or disguise.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree, Marcini. Mine is a high-level hissing sound, and it's impossible to totally cover up or disguise. I have high-range hearing loss in my tinnitus ear, too, which doesn't help!

• Hug Hug x 1