Cold Cause of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by carlos28, Jan 17, 2015.

1. carlos28

carlos28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Hi guys recently I had a nasty cold about a week ago and a day later I first started hearing my tinnitus its a faint chirping sound that sounds like it's coming from inside my head. When I'm at work or with friends I don't hear it but when its quiet and I listen for it I can. Can it be blocked eustachian tubes? I have not been exposed to loud noises or had a head injury for that matter. I'm now on day 4 of tinnitus and it's driving me nuts because I'm worried it may become permanent. Please help. Thank you.

2. HThom4
      Not amused

HThom4 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had a bad cold/flu in October 2014. Due to some of my other symptoms they initially thought I had Lyme disease. A few weeks later the tinnitus started. It started in my right ear and it slowly got louder. Sometime in December I became overly sensitive to regular sounds. By January the tinnitus had moved to my left ear as well.

I would strongly encourage you to see an ENT and a audiologist. If yours is caused by an issue with your eustacion tubes or some other treatable cause, it's best to catch it early. Sometime tinnitus resolves on its own and sometimes you have it for life.

Since I'm relatively new to having it, I am still learning to cope with it. I encourage you too see a doctor and see if there is something you can do to help you with yours.