Desperate for Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cymro41, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Need help so badly. My T just seems to be getting spikier all the time. I am not dealing well with it at all and find myself using a worrying amount of alcohol to try to get through my miserable days. Have tried everything...to no avail. I don't know how long I can go on living like this. My world seems to have collapsed all around me and my days are dark, long and terribly depressing, Bless you all.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      Hi @Cymro41

How long have you had your T? If you are in the early stages (first few weeks/months) take comfort in the fact that everyone here felt very similar to the way you did. I certainly did, I didn't know how I would ever get back to a 'normal' life. But I have done! Some days my T is so loud it's all I can hear, but I simply don't care that much about it anymore. It's been a year since I first developed it so it has taken a fair while to get to this stage but YOU CAN DO IT TOO!!

It's all about acceptance. If you accept that you are going to have T, but you choose not to let it ruin your life then you will be able to get back to normal!!

In the short term, consider seeking medical assistance if you are depressed.

All the love in world

Alec

• Like Like x 1
    3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I'm in the same boat Cymro. I feel your pain and know where your heads at. But be certain, drowning yourself in alcohol, isn't going to help you or T. It's a depressant and makes T and your emotional state, worse, not better.

As AlecP reccomends, get some medical advice or meds, to calm yourself down.

Sailboardman

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Cymro41

I really have to agree with AlecP he's completely right, we all have T here thats what makes this site so great that we can all get through this together, I was 7 or 8 years old when I had it and it never went away and yeah I guess sometimes it really does feel that your world Is collapsing around you but I promise you It gets better, but the only way It can get better is if you just adapt to not care as much about T, the thing is about tinnitus its louder and more noticeable in silence and when you think about. I never really imagined using alcohol or Medication for my T because I don't expect it to change it the only thing that I know can change my T is my actions and my feelings towards it, my advice would be not try out medication because if you ever start it and it makes that much of a difference it will be very hard to stop using it and you don't want to spend the rest of your life with the only barrier between you and T is medication, I honestly believe how to adapt to it and deal with it is what improves life its what helps you to come back from the edge. Here is what I did/ would do
      *Listen to quiet music in the background- it will give your brain a bit more to think about
      *Go see a ENT or Doctor- someone who can help and maybe they will refer you to an audiologist to get you some hearing aids (they are suppose to help with tinnitus sufferers I'm sure quite a few people on this site use them)
      *REMEMBER! T is not the worse thing that can happen to you I know it seems that way but its not,
      *REMEMBER! You cannot let T control your life, there are so many things that we are still capable of and T doesn't tell us that we can't do them. Look yourself In the mirror and tell your self that T is not in control of YOUR life YOU are. Why should some pesky noises in our heads/ears hurt our lives the way it does, if anything the stronger we hold out against it the less it can do to frustrate.
      *Keep occupied there more you can do the less you notice T
      *Drinking alcohol won't help you YOU need to find YOUR strength to keep fighting this battle because I don't think, I KNOW you have the power not to necessarily end it but conquer it.

I know this may seem like silly advice but this is what helps people not get over it for a little bit of time but to survive for the rest of their lives and be happy.
      All the best :)

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very wise from u !! Salute !

6. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks! sometimes T really brings me down but in the end I know I have to remember whose in charge of not letting it permanently affect me Its never going to break me so it can get louder and it can change pitches it can even vibrate (mine does that) and yeah It will make me frustrated and angry and make me resent life but ultimately life is short and I'm not giving my life away because T came into the picture
      :) Hope everyone stays strong!

7. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree complete with you to stay away from medications , I'm only 18 and fairly new to t and I'm wise enough to know it can't control my life , how old are u Georgia?

8. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I mean I'm only 15 and have had T for a while so I guess starting out young makes it easier in some ways, what caused your tinnitus by the way?

9. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      :) , probably noise I live a noisy life style , Wbu?

10. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You're wise for you're age ! I expected u to say like 30 hahah

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus has taught me a lot. mine was to do with an ear infection that caused tinnitus and a hearing loss

12. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      If your using a worrying amount of alcohol then I suggest you stop, anything that affects the brain will have a detrimental affect on your T.
      Alcohol, in most cases,will spike T.

13. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Wtf!!! You're 15?! Guess T at a young age makes you really smart :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you! It was really tough at first and still can be but overall I want to be happy so no way Is T going to stop me I don't know if I have habituated yet or not all I know is that I'm going to stay strong just like I hope everyone else does around here :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all. Great responses amd thanks very much. I think things sre gettimg a bit more bearable. Celebrated 25 yrs married life today and really enjoyed T didn't seem to infringe at all. But I do seriously need to controll my alcohol consumption ... It's still a big problem. Thanks all. Blessings to y'all.

Cymro 41

• Winner Winner x 1
    16. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Hi Cymro 41 ..... Glad your feeling better. You can do it we have all been there on this forum we all feel your pain. Please... Please cut down on your alcohol it'll make things worse. And HEY look forward to your next 25 years of marriage. I WISH YOU WELL.

17. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Don't hesitate to reach for some professional help, if you feel vulnerable..Has the volume subside a bit ? What do you mean when you write you've tried everything ? Just curious about your story..

18. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Actually, alcohol helps. I drown myself in wine on a regular basis. And it's probably way better than all those heavy drugs, which can make some suicidal.

19. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah but I would be careful about that because some tinnitus isn't even to do with the nerves (mines not) it can be linked to kidneys so I don' know if excessive alcohol consumption is a very good idea, besides tinnitus would be the least of your worries if you got ill because of too much drinking , and someone who use to be close to me is an excessive drinker and honestly it was not done very good things to their mental state or their relationships to others. Drinking really isn't the answer It tears people apart I know this first hand though not as a drinker.

20. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      @Georgia, T being linked to kidneys? Who's selling that?

Certainly *excessive* alcohol consumption is never a solution nor endorsable. But there's little to nothing what we can do.
      Seriously any other ailment is my very last concern cos people like me are on the verge of suicide since this isn't life anymore but **torture** beyond sanity.
      If you have it *mild* be grateful. Some of us have what you guys would call, "a spike" but a hundred times worse and 24/7 without improvement. Hence we are forced to do drugs. Well, anything that numbs the senses.
      Worse, I don't get any sleep. Sleep eludes me completely. I'm forced to stay awake till my body *literally* collapses of fatigue. So please understand that some of us are *done* with this incarnation for a very profound reason.
      My last hope is 20g Pentobarbital.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It will be Ok Ninyu, you will get thru this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Georgia
      Thinking

Georgia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi I'm so sorry that your going through this and I didn't mean to insult you.I agree with Dan I'm sure one day things will turn around for you, you've had your tinnitus for 8 months (lol excuse me if thats wrong maths isn't my best) and I remember when I'd had it that long I couldn't sleep sometimes or I'd cry at night when none of my family could hear me, I thought I'd never survive, and because I was only 8 I couldn't drink or take anything (my doctor wouldn't take my h problems seriously) so please excuse me if I sounded harsh I didn't mean to its just that since a very young age I've had to grin and bear any pain or frustration my ears caused me and Its wrong of me to expect the same from others who have the option of something that can make it easier. And unfortunately even when I'm 18 I won't ever to decide once to drink a little to much (though I don't want to) to help my h problems because I have an underdeveloped kidney and so for health reasons I need to steer clear of alcohol. So once again I hope I didn't insult you too cruelly by being insensitive.
      As for 'who's selling that' I suppose it could be individual to my h case however the people who are selling this theory to me would be my, registrar, Ent, consultant paediatrician, doctor, and audiologist. They are actually investigating my health to see what could have given my inner ear problems and they believe it could be related to my kidney or a urine infection I had when I was a baby. Of course I'm sure they won't find anything and even if they do it won't mean a cure but purely for the development of knowledge for the future and academics it would be interesting.
      By the way i saw your post about how eating and diets can affect your tinnitus, If that is true then doesn't that go to show that tinnitus could be related to anything in your body. Even if you think that some ones just selling the idea of 'kidneys, urine infections etc and h probelms and t' It might not sound smart to you but its a logical theory to them because I have a regular MRI and for some reason I have a diagnosed hearing loss and t is just a result of that, its in the inner ear (it means there isn't anything they can do) so they think that it could be related to that, as academics of course they want to investigate me and talk with geneticists about the possibilities. Especially since I've had this since I was 8 they need to check for links, as sorry as I am for being insensitive I think its an insult to the theories of geneticists, ents, doctors, etc people who have studied extremely hard to get where they are, to treat their opinions as 'something they are just trying to sell' I'm not thrilled about the investigation but I'm doing it for when their are kids my age in the future who go through what went through there will be hope for them.

23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hey Ninyu, PM me please and tell me how you are doing. Are you back home?