Does Anyone Have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction Along with Their Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My ear issue started with blocked Eustachian tubes. I now have tinnitus along side the blocked ears. The tinnitus is more distressing than the blocked ear but the more gummed up my tubes, the louder the tinnitus. I have tried a lot of things to clear this, nothing is helping. Any ideas? I believe my tube problem started with lifting weights and not breathing properly at times, creating presure. I now do anything excercise related and I'm almost deaf after, and my tinnitus seems to rage out of control from the lack of outside information to the ear.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Have you tried a Neti Pot to clear up the Eustachian tube dysfunction?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Haven't tried that yet Karl, I think I will give it a shot. Tried steam, steroidal nasal spay, oral decongestants etc. thanks for the suggestion.

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I also have ETD and i use Nasonex cortisone spray and inhalation a against it occasionally. When my ears are fully blocked my Tonnitus gets louder too. But I must say that also work out almost every day ( mostly abs and cardio comwith little weights) and don't have the problem you're describing after working out. But maybe that's because I don't lift heavy weights?!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Do you use the spray if you fly? I haven't flown since T and am quite concerned. I don't really know why I have problems clearing my ears now wih T. And if i am more susceptible to further damage.
      ou ou

6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Was that addressed to me? Yes I use spray when flying and also for descending and landing earplane ear plugs. But generally I don't have much trouble with blocked ears while flying - sometimes driving on a highway feels worse and also if the weather changes I have trouble, but with flying not so much.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Hi Telis,

I have had problems after lifting weights, makes my ears dull sometimes and T goes a lot higher (partly from the temporary raise in blood pressure I think).

I've ended up raising the reps and lowering the weights. For me 15 reps works well, concentrating on good form, and doesn't make me worse. If I go heavy my T will really spike.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I have sporadic ETD, primarily due to ongoing allergies and sinus problems. I use Flonase daily. I also am really careful about flying now, given barotrauma on a plane flight, due to an undiagnosed sinus infection, caused my tinnitus. If you are concerned about ETD, a doctor can do what's called a tympanic test, to see if your ear drums are functioning properly. Docs also an help determine if your ETD is sporadic, like mine, or ongoing, which might involve more serious remedies like inserting ear tubes.

I think you safely can do the valsalva maneuver (I do it, if I am checking to see if my tubes can open on their own), but only very gently. If you don't get that ear pop after a very gentle blow, do not go any further. You indeed can cause damage. Another helpful method for equalizing when ascending (going up) on a plane flight: Hold your nose and swallow a few times.

Also, be equally careful with the neti pot. While it can be helpful, this method (like syringing) can cause a lot of problems if done incorrectly.
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/249460.php

Finally, and I warn everyone about this: If you have a sinus or upper respiratory infection, or are having ear pain or trouble equalizing at ground level, DO NOT FLY! You can do substantial damage to your ears in all sorts of ways, from blown ear drums to tinnitus. Commercial flight attendants and pilots are not allowed to fly with infections.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I went to an ENT the other day and he said for this ETD problem you should take sudafed and drixine spray.
      Nasonex is crap and wont work he said which supprised me.

10. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I saw the ENT yesterday and he said my sporadic right ear fullness was probably due to ETD or sinus infection. He checked my ears, nose and throat and saw no sign of infection.

He said to chew gum when it happens, which I did and it went away!! He also wanted me to do valsalva manoeuver but I won't do it because of what I've read on here. He started writing a prescription for ear drops which I declined... I'm also seeing my dentist tomorrow morning to see if it could be related to a tooth infection (I have some pain in a tooth on the right side).

He mentionned 20% of the general population have ETD and also that in my case, it could be anxiety related and I should take some Ativan when too stressed !!

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Wise decision, I tried doing the valsalva manoever a few years ago, it gave me ultra severe tinnitus for about 6 hours after.....terrifying! Lol.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes I used this method obsessively after the onset of my T. I didn't know it was making my T worse and worse. Mind you I was doing it too hard.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Coul