Ear Wax, Is This the Cause of My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JdanHber, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I am angry against the condition, not the people and more angry against medicine because it *should* be something thats fixable. Just so you know my mum has had tinnitus for 20 something years, bad too, and possibly incurred by blow to the ear….

I am angry for her not being able to be rid of it, she has it badly and will have it for the rest of her life with no cure or real treatment, despite docs telling her she has healthy ears and even one saying its 'all in her head'

I truly hope i don't have it anymore and i truly hope science makes a cure for everyone, it really, really, REALLY angers me that we live in a world where we are so proud of our technological achievements and yet we cannot cure simple sounding things like this?

I am also angry for all of you as well, not being able to stop the sound, the pain and the unforgiving nature of the human body when it wants to mess up peoples lives, its really unfair. I am new to all of this, and didn't even really know what tinnitus was, even though mum would speak of it over the years, i just thought 'ah its just some small sound in the background and she is being sensitive' well i have truly seen what this world is like, it has changed my view on reality in a really terrible way.

I am shocked and devastated that anyone can cope with this for any length of time, those of you that have this and still make it through every day: you have my total admiration and respect.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Seal you are so correct unfortunately, but ... and i´m not condoning this in any way shape or form, i was so fed up i thought i´ll run myself a lovely hot bubble bath, light a few candles and take a glass of wine with me, after drinking the glass of wine my t lowered a lot, i then jumped out of the bath and poured myself another one, and now after drinking that one i have no t at all!!! well of course i still have it, but at this precise moment i can´t hear it and it´s heaven, just thought i would share my little moment of happiness!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      if we can cope and make it, you can make it,too. we just recently welcomed a girl on this board who is only 13 years old and she lives with it! we are all much older so if she can be brave, we can be brave,too. you will see, you will also learn to
      that's great that you found something that works for you! enjoy your T free hours :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Yes fair enough, just an update as well:

the sound is back to the same levels now, no idea why it was reduced then back to the way it was, but I'm here again it seems, all my hope has gone for it being just wax, just like everyone told me it was (doctors, EMT's)

5. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      How loud is it?

6. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      the same as it was before the wax, its louder than anything I've heard, high pitched screeching that almost feels electric like its buzzing my head with a subtle vibration. Its hard to think through it or to ignore as the frequency seems to change subtly so that you notice the change no matter what. Pretty damn loud!

7. JTP
      No Mood

JTP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shit happens
      So _nothing_ covers it? Shower? Water tap (faucet)? Music? Just noticed this thread was originally about wax removing. Usually wax amplifies existing tinnitus, removing wax does not remove tinnitus altogether. I am not a stranger to high pitched screeching or suicidal thoughts. _It_ gets_better_. Your mum suffering for 20 years does not mean you will do the same.

8. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      rain works but only sometimes, had a shower before but it was so.. loud and i could still hear the screeching, nothing seems to cancel it out, least not as much.

Sorry but i do feel i will have this for a long time, i seem to be breaking down! i did read this though:

"It does get better
      Studies have indicated that, even without any ‘treatment’, the noises disappear or at least diminish in the majority of cases, as the brain loses interest in and stops surveying the signal. This process is called ‘habituation’ and it can take several months or years. Tinnitus can become emotionally distressing in the initial period."

hope thats fucking true because I'm ready to smash my head against something

9. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      It will go down in volume, mine just went down after 4.3 weeks, i can still hear it clearly, but just not screeching at me, more hissing and drumming at me now!! with the feeling of blocked ears, and hot ears??? stay strong, it will get lower, but it takes time.

10. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      i will try but it feels like my world is crashing a little or… a lot. its just one more weird and agonising ailment on top of a series of them! any of you had kidney stones before, for example? thats was true pain, true agony. I would take that any day over this, this is the worst time in my life by far. I don't even know what to do to get to sleep this evening, I'm so tired and i can't cope.

How do you you all get to sleep, what do you use?

11. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Yes i´ve had Kidney stones, and yes the pain was horrific, but it went away once i passed it... end of story!! this is different, no physical pain, just mental torture, but as i said it will go down, mine just has only just... i´m new too!!!

12. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      WHen i had stones i couldn't pass them for days so it was an endless cycle of vomiting, passing out from extreme pain and being heavily dosed with morphine in hospital. I really would trade that in for what I'm going through!

Carol, what caused your tinnitus? any ideas? how did/do you get to sleep?

13. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      So far i sleep ok, i´m so emotionally drained after 15 hrs of hearing that shit, i go out like a light.

14. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I guess i have that to look forward to, good that i don't rely on being able to drive or concentrate for my job isn't it?
      oh wait!

When i lie down its much worse for me, maybe even twice as bad at its worst

15. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I´ve just moved from UK to Spain, my husband works in India so i´m alone here, before he left he was doing some drilling in the bathroom, the noise was so loud and it went on for about half an hour, i didn´t think this could hurt me so i just let him drill until the job was done... 30 hrs later the screeming started and it´s been like that ever since, he´s fine, but i´m not... if only he didn´t drill that day, i would not be going through this, but he did and i am!!!

16. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      for sleeping better, try a fan, some soft music or anything that makes a nice backround noise. pillow speakers are pretty useful, too.
      if you need medication in the beginning to get a good night sleep go and see a doctor so he can prescribe you something. lack of sleep makes the T worse...sleep is very important

17. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Carol yours was a drill? doesn't seem loud enough surely?
      I need to share my story and see if it rings a bell (pardon the pun):

- Mine started when I bought an in ear bluetooth earpiece to play a game online with, i used it for 3hrs at a time and for about a week in my left ear. The hissing/white noise started low and got louder the more i used it, that was when i switched ears, i used it for around 2 times on the right ear before i stopped using it altogether.

- The wax was way way worse in the left ear than the right and the screeching sound is way worse in the left than the right.

- The device was very very quiet, so quite i had to turn it up to max and it was still faint, but i would always hear a sort of white noise or hissing sound (similar to what you hear when playing a video but turning the sound way up and then just hearing that hissssss sound), though again it was very very quiet, but this is when the sounds in my head/ear started and gradually built into what it is now.

I have told this story to my docs (4 of them) and the ENT who did the suction today. They all said that the sound of the ear piece would not have been loud enough or of a frequency that would damage or cause this to happen. They all said it most likely caused me to just push wax into my ear more and that was the source of the tinnitus.

After today it just doesn't add up.

Also i just checked my left ear and there is wax there again, not loads but more than what is normally there. My ear was totally cleaned 100% (as the ENT said himself)

I am worried i have done this to myself somehow with that earpiece? this was the earpiece i used:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261218534310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

18. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Zeo, to sleep I take magnesium citrate drink called ' calm ' and camomile night blend tea. I just read online headphones and ear pieces cause moisture to build up inside the ears, hence the wax.

19. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      It's 3 am here and I'm awake to the loudest sound I can imagine, it's twice as loud as before and hurting in my head so much, it's frightening how loud this is , I think I need real help! It's deafening

20. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      This can't be real it can't it's so so so bad so loud and painful in volume it's agony !! What on earth is this ?? I can't take it

21. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I have a humidifier running full and rain sounds at maximum blast ands this ten times louder l, this is more than tinnitus feel like my head will explode its beyond bare able something is terribly wrong

22. Dianne
      Wishful

Dianne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/21/2013
      Oh my gosh...You poor thing....I think you need to go to the doctor ASAP and get some anti-anxiety medication. I have some Xanax that I took when things got really bad around week 2 to 3 of this. The meds did help me to break some of that OCD cycle, where you fixate on the sound all the time. That fixation causes the sounds to get louder and the nerves and the inside of your ear actually feel raw. I know that red wine used to be one of my favorites, but I've read that coffee and alcohol make this worse, because they are stimulants. I've tried to arm myself with everything I know is good for the nervous system...B-12, Vitamin C, Borage Oil, Fish Oil and magnesium. I know this also my sound ridiculous, but please pray and ask for help from God right now. Praying is a form of meditation as well, which can give your system a chance to recalibrate. I've met 4 women this past week who have this and they all the say the same thing, eventually you'll learn to put this in the background of your existence rather than the foreground. It takes some time though for the brain to form new circuits and be able to do that! I think that Yoga also helps, especially dead man pose (focus on the sound of your breath). That pose is kind of like REM sleep and helps the brain to form some new neural pathways. Hang in there!

23. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I was happily asleep after taking night nurse and the sound woke me up it was excoriating I'm awake again now and it's awful.

Nothing brought it on! Nothing.

I was awake for hours what helped was sitting up?

The sound is now in my righ Ear not the left as normal? This is something more than tinnitus it's like nothing I've read here. There is a virus going round here that is effecting people's ears I'm not sure how exactly but it might explain the wax reappearance after 3 hours. Has anyone learned if there is a connection between herbalife and this?

24. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I should say that the noise woke me not some other circumstance, I'm going to a and e, my partner mentioned a man that had lots scans after his was diagnosed and they fixed it somehow forever. I may need such scans

25. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Good luck at A & E, i hope they can give you something to help, let us know!!

26. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I seem to have a lot of the symptoms of labrynthitus, ears always hot inside , dizziness and much more. Anyone had this ?

27. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Nurse has seen me, I have swelling redness and trauma in my right ear and my left has a perforated ear drum however it's old and no longer a problem? She said it would go away and to take cocodomol.

28. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Oh! that sounds like good news to me... always check any pain killer out, as a lot of pain killers are ototoxic, i wish you well Zeo, mean while back at my ranch my t is ringing away like crazy!! oh well tough luck for me!!! hope you calm down and feel good!! at the end of the day it´s just a noise, albeit a very annoying noise, but no one ever died because of a noise, anyway Zeo take care,and protect your ears!

29. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      So confused. Sitting here in a normal temperature room and my ears are burning hot inside and the sound is so much louder. I have been taking my mind off things but its very noticeable, when I was very stressed as well it wasn't any worse? It stays the same no matter what, except when my ears get hot inxplicably in the evening? Any ideas?

30. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013