Ear Wax, Is This the Cause of My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JdanHber, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Bit of an update and some observations:I made a playlist of rain sounds on an iPod, bought some headphones and put them on and went to sleep, got a fair bit of sleep last night, best I've had in 3 days, but now i have a bit of a headache.

When i wake the sound is less then gradually gets louder (and when it does get louder my ears inside, and a tiny bit outside get quite hot! its very odd.)I think exposure for 8 hours+ to the rain sound to counter the ringing has a lasting effect but it only seems to last a few hours at MOST. I also experience bouts of hypersensitivity to sound as well, seems to be in my right ear this happens and is the ear with the ringing now, NOT the left anymore ()the right ear is the ear that the nurse yesterday said had soreness/swelling and other stuff, though i can hear ringing in my left, its now much quieter than my right)

The sound is so loud still though and its causing me to grind my teeth at night so i need a mouth guard as well it would seem. I am also taking cocodomol which i was advised to do so, however this does absolutely nothing thus far.

2. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Me too. Sucks. Get that mouth guard ASAP to avoid getting a TMD.

3. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      TMD? Also my fiancé is convinced this is all related to me having an impacted wisdom tooth! i had pretty bad swelling in my mouth and sores/real pain in october, going to see if its that.

4. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      also i want to state that the tinnitus has definitely shifted from my left ear to my right, its pretty much gone in my left and is now excruciatingly loud in my right (which for the last 2 weeks of having it was ALWAYS in the left ear) my left ear feels almost normal!WTF

5. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Once again it's the evening here and the sound is 100% worse, really loud! Why is it happening in the evening? The temperature hasn't changed here at all?

My ears though are very hot again?

6. Zeo
      Alone

Zeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      I've found a cure for my tinnitus!

all i have to do is wear headphones and listen to white noise/rain quite loud 100% of the time, day and night and its gone totally!

very happy about this! /sarcasm

7. zola
      Bored

zola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      one month ago
      i thought my t was caused by ear wax but the ear wax was removed one month ago but my t is still there ,high pitch

8. tiffanyyl

tiffanyyl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Hi i am currently having similar issues and have my ear checked recently and yes i have that ringing noise too.. the doctor prescibed olive oil to soften it and it will take abither one or two weeks for my micro suction. However i wondered if it is normal to feel like your ear is even more clogged with olive oil? I followed the instructions and place the drops but it seem to have make it more clogged and i cant seem to really hear much from the left ear.. i wondwred if i place the drops wrongly..as when the doctor place it for me on first day(i think is olive oil) it initially felt blocked but was better after a while. .would appreciate any respond to this?as i am afraid to use the drops any further but i need it to soften for microsuction. It gets really frustrating with the ringing ..

9. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes it is. It can make your ears feel more clogged.

"Eardrops (including olive oil) may at first make your ears more blocked up, as the wax softens and expands. However it needs to go through this phase so that it can come out of your ear."

From: http://www.uhs.nhs.uk/ourservices/e...ingtherapy/hearingaids/dealingwithearwax.aspx

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    10. tiffanyyl

tiffanyyl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      hello! thanks for the reply!! But my ear seems to be ringing more loudly and i am kind of depressed over this ... is the ringing common too? will i be able to safely continue use of olive oil?

11. Renee

Renee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1week
      I JUST got back from having my ears flushed by the doctor. My ears were COMPACTED with wax. The dr. Said she had never seen such a build up before. It really looked like she pulled flushed an animal out of my ear. I also used the drops for several days before flushing. This loosens the wax. The ringing is still there, but mild. Mainly when it's quiet and I listen for it. In the last week, I have learned to tune it out and accept it. DO NOT focus on it and let it ruin your sleep. That will only ruin your ability to cope. It is NOT going to kill you!
      I was afraid bc my brother just had an acoustic neuroma removed ( a begine tumor on the main nerve that connects the ear to the brain). He suddenly lost his hearing and had a ringing in ONE ear, as well as dizziness. This is rare. It is also scary, but can surgically be removed. If you lose your hearing in one ear and hear the ringing, you should get an MRI just to make sure, and for your own sanity.
      For now, I'm accepting the ringing at a low pitch and getting very good at tuning it out. I suggest you do the same. Even if it never goes away, you CAN tune it out. Good luck!

12. Renee

Renee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1week
      Oh, don't use olive oil. Use debris, or a generic ear wax softener.

13. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I doubt if earwax can cause high pitched sound. My guess would be that earwax will cause more of a fluttering sound. High pitch is inner ear damage i guess. I maybe wrong

14. Tonia
      Aggressive

Tonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax removal Via water removal, stress,
      Hey .. i read this all and yes i got mine from having wax build up and it was on my eardrum they had to remove it 2 weeks with a water pressure from the GP and it was fine till she used a long quetip to get the rest and thats when i felt the ringing.. it was sore so i went the nest day to another GP who used the ear scope and poked something now al i hear is 'water rushing' and high pitch noise. the GP told me to take ear drops for the swollen eardrumb (Caused form the water pressure) i havent taken it yet.. im so scared i cant sleep and its been a month

15. Michelle Gyder

Michelle Gyder Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't take it anymore. It's only been about a week and I'm going crazy. I've tried everything. Calling the doctor tomorrow I hope it's only ear wax but reading this forum has scared me as it seems none of you have gotten rid of it. Started with a stabbing earache a week ago. No full blown screeching. I am 58 years old and female from USA. Will let you know what happens tomorrow. Could hardly work today.

16. Tonia
      Aggressive

Tonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax removal Via water removal, stress,
      HEy how did it go

17. Slim8589

Slim8589 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wax
      Well here is my story as it relates to this thread. Xmas 2016 I DJ'd the end of term staff do and came away with ringing ears. Normally it passes after a day or so but this time it didn't. I worried that I had caused permanent damage. The ringing was noticeable but not enough to stop me from sleeping or to cause me any major stress.
      A week ago, randomly my right ear just completely blocked. Hearing loss was about 80-90% although it improved as the day went on. Along with that came an awful, very loud ringing in that ear.
      It certainly did affect my mood, I was incredibly grumpy/scratchy all week and felt quite down.
      I tried ear drops but beyond some popping sounds it did not do anything and having had a bad experience with them before when it made my ear really sore I did not continue. Instead I broke a session at a local clinic.
      Last Friday (about a week after the symptoms started) I went to the clinic. It was immediately obvious when she used the microscope that there was a large wax build up. Using micro suction she removed 3 incredibly large and dark clumps of wax. The last of which had been sat right on the eardrum. The difference (and relief) was instant. Everything was now incredibly loud! She also removed one large piece of wax from the other ear.
      My hearing now is super clear and all ringing in both ears has gone. I have already booked an appointment a year from now to get them checked again.
      The procedure was a little uncomfortable but certainly not painful and from my research not considered dangerous. It cost $45. I'm hoping some of you here might have a similar experience and be freed from the discomfort of ringing ears.