Finding Cause of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by VaR, Oct 29, 2014.

1. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      This is one question that has befuddled me for quite sometime. Most of the time, the cause of tinnitus remains a mystery ( at least, that's what I've read) but I want to know if any f you feel there are certain steps one should take to eliminate a few causes then what might they be. I'm just saying this because there has to be a reason why all of us has tinnitus. Those who know, that it was induced by noise are still better off (in terms of being aware of what caused their problem). It just bugs me to no end that I don't know, why all of a sudden, this happened and that too at a stage of my life when I am trying to be something and someone. I come from a humble background and want to do something for my family but I just can't seem to do anything right. The past few months have been debilitating. It's not been that bad and I know, I shouldn't complain but in my head, I feel stuck and I feel sad and depressed.

I think if all of you, any one you who notice this post can leave suggestion, create a thread or a resource which might help me and others who want to try to figure out what caused their problem, it would be great. At least that way, we'll be able to know if our doctors are pursuing the right avenues to find out the cause of this problem and also so we know they are not taking us for a ride (some doctors do that, unfortunately. I hope most don't).

• Like Like x 1
    2. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013
      Hi @VaR, I'm sorry your tinnitus is awful for you right now. I think all of us here are been about where you are. This is the place to be :)

I don't know if the majority of people don't know what caused their tinnitus or not, but it's true that many don't know for sure. Mine was caused by loud noise. It was there immediately after I left a concert so I know. That said, noise damage happens cumulatively over a lifetime as well. So yours could be from noise, it just only popped up now.

An MD style doctor probably isn't going to "take you for a ride" as you say, they're more likely to send you home because they don't know what to do. If yours really came out of nowhere, you could ask about having an MRI or something of that nature to check for a tumor (very rare cause), or ask about meniere's disease (again rather rare). It could be from something circulatory, or fluid behind your ears or TMJ, or ETD.

I am not a doctor, so these are just things I've heard of and you should discuss them with your physician as ideas.

I hope you feel better soon, VaR. Just know that even if your tinnitus doesn't go away, this phase of feeling panicked and depressed doesn't normally last forever. For the majority of people with T, habituation happens and then you'll be able to get back to your big dreams!

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
      I sincerely hope so.