Fish Oil and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by luckyman316, Jun 17, 2014.

1. luckyman316

luckyman316 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Fish Oil on Amazon.com

Fish Oil on iHerb.com (first-time customers get $5-10 off of their order)

I ran across this article while searching, and wanted to share. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.politicadeverdade.com/i-found-a-tinnitus-cure/

I Found a Tinnitus Cure
      Since you know I like to do a lot of work with power tools as I mentioned in my plasma cutter post, over time I have been developing tinnitus. I usually try to wear ear plugs as often as I can when I work, but in my younger days I spent a lot of time without proper protection and in my older age I am starting to lose my hearing.
      As my hearing has gotten worse, I began to have ringing in the ears. Even when wearing protection, if I use any piece of equipment which sends vibrations through my body, I undoubtedly started getting tinnitus.

tinnitus-cures.jpg

Fortunately though, I have found a tinnitus cure. It is actually a funny story = my doctor recommended that I take fish oil to help reduce inflammation and improve my ulcer pains, and while the fish oil did nothing for my ulcer, it practically eliminated my tinnitus!

Apparently ringing in the ears is not only related to ear damage but body-wide inflammation. As I began to take fish oil, the ringing in my ears all but went away except for about 15 minutes after using power tools. I finally can hear what my kids and wife are saying when they are in the other room and I do not have to issue an annoyed “what?” whenever I perceive someone else as mumbling in my presence, which really just equates to them not looking at me talk so I cannot read their lips! Now I can actually hear things again so this is no longer an issue! I will be taking fish oil as long as I can remember.

• Like Like x 3
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Luckyman316,

Thanks for sharing this article. It's great that the fish oil has worked so well for this person that it has practically eliminated his tinnitus. I've been taking fish oil for a couple of years now, but it hasn't affected my tinnitus very much. I think it depends on the cause of one's tinnitus as to whether this will work. For those who have inflammation, it sounds like it would definitely help.

Is there anyone else out there who would like to comment on the usage of fish oil, and how it has affected your tinnitus?

• Like Like x 2
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If you read the article on the website, it contains a link for "tinnitus cure".

When you click the link, it takes you to a site that advertises the Tinnitus Miracle.

Everyone can draw their own conclusion from this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      fish oil also cured his hearing loss ahaha, i wonder if it also cures blindness :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    5. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I've always wondered what kind of mercury levels you could possibly be consuming with fish oil supplements? Any opinions or knowledge on the subject would be appreciated. thx

6. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yeah, I do take fish oil for my cholesterol and I thought it could help tinnitus, but after reading the Tinnitus Miracle link that @Markku referenced, my confidence is now low. Anything associated with that Coleman character is suspect.

7. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Agreed. That is definitely a fake post.. :-(

8. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      My natural cynicism never allows me to believe in Miracle Cures/Universal Panaceas.......AND I'm vegetarian, so don't eat fish.
      Linseed (Flaxseed) is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and is also said to be anti-inflammatory and good for the lipid profile, so I'll continue to sprinkle the seeds on my breakfast in the hope they'll help (well. they may at least keep my heart and bowel healthy).
      John Meyers.....I shouldn't smile at the cause of your tinnitus, but it may yet resolve spontaneously given the cause. Led Zeppelin in my day didn't damage my hearing!

Fungus

9. Bessie
      Angelic

Bessie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 8, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unkown
      i don't think fish oil can do so much. I've been taking it for years before i had tinnitus. Now that i am taking it with the tinnitus, it's no difference

• Like Like x 1
    10. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Fish oil!! What ever next? Tap water cured my tinnitus?

• Funny Funny x 2
    11. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Every ones T is different and there are multible causes which most folks dont even know how they got it. If fish oil supplement works for one its possible it could help others. I owned a printing company for almost 40 years around loud equipment just like Luckyman. You can betcha I will give it a try for it cant hurt !!!!!!!!!! Hell I have tried everything else.....

• Like Like x 1
    12. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      If anyone is looking for a site that researches supplements and their quality, I use this one. Some info is free, there is also a paywall but I found it to be worth it as all supplements are absolutely not created equally. There is a lot of false advertising to the quality, ingredients and dosage amount that you need to be careful of and this site tests it all and gives no winners to help avoid bias. Just presents the data so you can make your choice.

https://www.consumerlab.com

This is another that has some tests but I found consumer labs info better. I sense a little bias in their reports at times.

https://labdoor.com/rankings

Here is a good article on supplement toxins and lots of resources

http://www.toxinless.com/resources

I suggest everyone to watch this FRONTLINE special on Supplements and Safety to help avoid pitfalls of shady supplements.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/

In my research, I went with this one due to its high concentration and purity. I don't like that "burpless" stuff either because they are altering the oil in a unnatural way. The one I use is very fresh because i also don't like swallowing gel caps because I don't like digesting unnecessary gelatin and glycerin if I don't have to so I break them open on my mouth so I know they are never fishy. Fishy is bad. Means its turning rancid.

13. Arrojo

Arrojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One too many rock concerts
      That link in the first thread no longer works. I'm dubious of this claim. Fish oil does have benefits for the heart; I take it when I train for marathons and I have a big jar of it. So I suppose I can start taking it again.

I did find this other link:

https://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/omega-3s-inflammation-and-tinnitus/

It's from Arches Natural Products Inc, so make your own conclusions. But they claim:

Tinnitus authority, Michael Seidman, MD, has developed Essential Oils Formula, comprised of Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs). These important, healthful fats cannot be synthesized by humans and must be obtained through the diet or supplementation. The ideal ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 is between 1 to 1 and 4 to 1. The typical American diet provides a ratio of between 10 and 25 Omega-6 to 1 Omega-3. This imbalance leads to many autoimmune and inflammatory conditions.

A recent article published in the July 9, 2010 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found a protective effect for Omega-3 fatty acid against the development of age-related hearing loss (presbycusis).

Data evaluated from participants in the Blue Mountains Hearing Study of age-related hearing loss showed greater total Omega-3 intake upon enrollment was associated with a lower risk of hearing loss. Those who consumed higher amounts of Omega-3 during the study had a 42% lower risk of hearing loss at the five year follow up. Additionally, a reduced risk of hearing loss progression was observed in those who consumed higher amounts of Omega-3.

If you suffer from tinnitus and feel that inflammation is part of the blame, increasing your intake of Omega-3 fatty acid may be of help. As one’s general health is improved, a reduction in tinnitus may often follow.

The concern about mercury is a non-issue. "ConsumerLab.com's tests of fish oil supplements have found none to contain mercury and most, although not all, to have only trace levels of PCBs (which can't be fully avoided since PCBs are found in water everywhere). A serving of fish meat is likely to contain far more contamination than a fish oil supplement".

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. dh42

dh42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I read a lot of medical information and studies. Most recent research has shown that Omega 3 from actual fish (i.e. Salmon, etc.) is much more effective to the body than fish oil pills and may have some heart benefits. This is why the America Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice per week. Fish oil has failed in recent studies to show any direct benefit for the heart in terms of preventing heart attacks and there's no evidence it helps with Tinnitus. However, very high amounts of fish oil can help lower triglycerides, inflammation, anxiety, or depression in people with such issues. Certain seeds (Flax, Chia, etc.) and certain nuts (Walnuts, etc.) contain Omega 3, as well, but the body doesn't seem to absorb it anywhere near as well as from fish.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Sandy B
      Inspired

Sandy B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/96
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing test set off
      Yes fish oil helps me too. I take 2 a day. We are different as we all know and tinnitus as we know has many reasons as to the why? The tinnitus I have seems hearing loss related. The fight or flight concept seems part of the problem too. I have muscles involved with two bulging disc in my neck. So... Twenty years of this and this site has helped me so much. Thank all of you. What helps me and I hope helps some of you too, first I use a infrared heat wand with massage, I use over each ear and the helps bring the volume down. Next I also use neuromodulation on YouTube. This next exercise helps to relax the bulging disc in my neck and brings the volume down, I try to touch the end of my nose with my tongue, then I try to touch my chin with my tongue. Heating pad is good to relax with too. The volume of tinnitus is about 50% better since I have joined Tinnitus Talk. I am less anxious as more relaxed. I have given up on a cure but grateful for the help all of you have given me. The cure might come one day and that would be great and welcome day.

16. Arrojo

Arrojo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One too many rock concerts
      I think fish oil caused my tinnitus to spike unfortunately.

17. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sweet cured mackerel from Tesco seems to reduce my T for a while but I love the fish with some olives so maybe the serotonin is just making me feel better.

18. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
    19. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Fish fingers, baked beans and boiled potatoes taken around 6 or 7 pm reduce my tinnitus significantly. I was dreading the night recently after a pounding T filled day. I had the above meal and I had a lovely restful sleep. Maybe its the carbs as fish by themselves don't do anything to relieve my T and sometimes make it worse. It could also be comfort food. I've noticed also that porridge with honey can also reduce my tones significantly.

20. Paul Almeida

Paul Almeida Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’m reading through this article and am kind of thrown back at the fact that so many people are discouraged from using fish oil. Even if fish oil isn’t what evidently reduces your tinnitus. It is still one of the best supplements for anyone to take. It costs practically nothing at all, as you can easily purchase it at any pharmacy in the world.
      Don’t be thrown off at things that haven’t worked to reduce your tinnitus, but work towards improving your health overall.

our tinnitus May never go away, although both physically and mentally we can work towards at least improving our overall health grades.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      My doctor suggested the same thing. She said to take fish oil preferably with a DHA of 1000mg. Just started about 2 days ago.

Has anyone done HBOT for noise induced tinnitus? I'm at about 22 days with tinnitus. It's now on the lower side but I want it gone.

Thanks!

22. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      @Jassiel I've read HBOT gives more issues than resolving anything. Just search around the forums.

23. Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      @Thuan can you name some issues please since I am considering doing it.

please anyone

24. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      @Jassiel I have not done HBOT but I have searched about it in the forum. From what I remember, some people reported getting worse tinnitus volume after a session. I have not read any stories that HBOT helped anyone with tinnitus nor do I see it recommended as such in any medical sites. So I see HBOT as some gimmick where practitioners don't have any cure and just try it and see if it works while crossing their fingers...

I'm sorry for being negative but people like us with tinnitus are very sensitive to any changes. I would not wish you to make your tinnitus worse so please think carefully about it. It is ultimately your choice. If you do decide to do it, try one session and see if it negatively impacts you ear, such as ear being full or have a tingly feeling.

25. Jassiel

Jassiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      @Thuan thanks for your input. After talking do the doctor it seems that some factors can vary depending on if it’s single person tank vs multiple people. The depth to which you are being put to (1ATA, 2ATA, 3ATA). The quality of the oxygen and entire system that delivers the oxygen. How consecutive the treatments are (want Mon-Fri) and not skipping days. And the length to which you are given oxygen (60 minutes vs 90 minutes) want 90 minutes.

These are just some of the things that I am learning.

Any input from people that have done HBOT would be nice.

Thanks!