Fluctuating Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeannie, Jan 19, 2015.

1. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I started out today with my tinnitus in ears and managed to lie down for a bit and now it's in the middle of my head :(

It seems to fluctuate all the time like this.

Anyone else have this?

My noise fluctuates too, by this I mean... I may start with loud static and it will change to loud hissing to low crickets and has even gone away for the day. I wonder what is going on with my brain? I have had my tinnitus for almost 2 years. It seems like I will never habituate because of how my tinnitus fluctuates.

2. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      I wonder why tinnitus fluctuates in some people. Mine fluctuates too... habituation occurs regardless of the fluctuation of tinnitus, it's more of accepting tinnitus.... wish you the best :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Gill Hayes
      Happy

Gill Hayes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress I think
      Hi there Jeannie, I have the exact same thing - mine fluctuates a lot too.

I have just asked a doctor about this. Apparently, when it comes to the success rates of TRT, it doesn't matter whether your tinnitus fluctuates or not.

I'm not doing TRT though ( at the moment) but I'm sure I read somewhere that habituation could take longer if your tinnitus fluctuates but habituation will still happen. So hang on in there honey. Xx

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I am still waiting for a good day after a year of hell every day, I read about them on here all the time. If I could just get one low day a week I could live with this. Anyone know why mine would not fluctuate? Why it's solid, the same no matter what I do? It's loud high pitched, a lot of different noises and so loud that it hurts. Absolutely never let's up. Why does it not fluctuate like most!?? The only time it appears to be louder is when there is another noise it competes with.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Daily intensity fluctuations, from 1/9 to 9/10. There must be reasons for this.

I have been watching my (unilateral) tinnitus for years now - I am severely limited by it and have taken early retirement.

Often the night and sleep make the difference. From bad to good, - but also from good to bad.
      My tinnitus is strongly "somatically" influenceable". Even slight touching of the scalp, pressure on the root of the nose, contorting of the mouth make the hissing more intense. Ultimately, the continuous hissing is a subset of the same sound I can make by shifting the lower jaw sideways.

I look forward to a constructive exchange of ideas.

Best wishes
      TinnGer

• Like Like x 1
    6. an1992

an1992 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe antibiotics
      @Tinniger I'm actually on a 6/10 and 15 minutes ago it was 8/10. Yesterday night it was 2/10. I'm 28 so I can't retire but I'm quite sure I'm going to lose my job and my life too in the near future.