Got full, stuffy blocked ears, what could it be?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Jan 11, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi again, like I say my tinnitus doesn't bother me anymore, now I have conquered the booze addiction I'm feeling a lot better. But the one thing that is bothering me is since this afternoon, both my ears have been stuffy, blocked feeling? I'm not ill, the only loud noise that has happened is a door slamming shut, but it wasn't that loud, I'm a little worried because last time I had stuffy ears was when my tinnitus increased back in October, my face around my ears feel numb as well. Does anyone else get full feeling ears?

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Mick, I had episodes of fullness on and off for several months after I first got T. I've actually had them several times too since my spike last November, at seemingly random times of the day, without any kind of noise exposure or anything I could think of that could possibly trigger it.

I don't think episodes of fullness are necessarily a sign of anything bad or of anything going wrong. Heck, maybe it's even a good sign. Mine did get slowly better after all those months. I'm thinking it should clear up shortly!

Edit: Make sure you don't have a cold, that might also be responsible.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Yes...I have a blocked sensation

have been told its anything from eustachian tube dysfunction to nerve damage to allergies...

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks for the replies, i don't feel ill, just a strange pressure in my ears and my face feels numb as well, so strange? I hope it doesn't change my tinnitus, hopefully like you said smoogle it is just one of them ramdon things.

5. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Do you have hyperacusis, perhaps?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi demi, no I don't have hyperacusis, not really sensitive to any noises.

7. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Do you have ear pain? Pressure changes. There is a muscle that usually causes
      The fullness the tensor tympani to protect ears from further damage.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Denny, please don't tell me that! That's what happened the first time getting tinnitus, and it increasing last October, the wind caught the living room door today and slammed shut, it wasn't that loud, I so hope I don't see my tinnitus increase again, my ears feel stuffy, full, face feels numb, but i found out there is facial nerves in the middle ear, so something is going down, nervous wait ahead of me.

9. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Don't worry mick it may just be your auditory system readjusting your ears way of
      Reminding you to be careful.

10. Lynnette
      Blah

Lynnette Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      My ears get blocked and stuffy when I'm experiencing anxiety...I have to pop them often (swallowing/yawning) during periods of stress,

11. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      @lynette

Give it tine and don't force yourself to pop your ears.
      Chewing gum may provide relief.

12. Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      I know I shouldn't but they pop just automatically when I swallow...I can hear the click.

13. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      I got that all 3 times before my t spiked at those 3 times . But also could be stess and high blood pressure or anxiety.
      Don't worry it should pass and hopefully not being any spikes or the such.

14. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Have it much and hate it so much.

15. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have had that exact feeling on a few occasions now....I know exactly what you mean about the numb feeling in the face also. Each time it happened to me it was because of Eustachian tube issues....pressure change in the ear etc. I believe I got it from using earplugs and pushing them in too much causing pressure in the tubes (earplugs are great put really you should put them in correctly and then leave them...not keep pushing them in creating suction and pressure on the ear - I was nervous as I was in a semi loud environment so kept trying to push them further in!), but it can also be caused by flying, having a cold etc etc. Good news is for me each time it did settles down within a week and it left no permanent t increase although it did make the t sound louder at the time.

I would expect you will be fine in a few days, just take it easy, relax etc.
      Rhea x

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks rhea, the pressure in my ears has gone, don't want to jinx myself, woke up today with a slightly achy feeling all over, maybe the start of a virus, my tinnitus hasn't spiked (touch wood), hopefully it doesn't come back.

Interesting about the earplugs when being pushed in constantly creating a suction, pressure effect, a bit like a plunger you unblock sinks with. I constantly keep pushing my earplugs in to make sure there in properly, that's why I want to get some custom made earplugs, at least then you know you are getting guaranteed levels of protection.

17. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey mick,

Yes, I can't say 100% that is what cause my Eustachian tube problems, but as the three occasions it happened I was definitely pushing on the plugs a lot the previous day...I think it is pretty much conclusive that was the reason.

I find foam hearos 32db plugs the absolute best. If they are inserted correctly then there should be no need to keep pressing them in.....in my case was just an anxiety issue that made me keep doing so...I have now learned my lesson!

Good luck with the custom made plugs!

Rhea x

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Rhea, can i ask how loud your tinnitus is? Mine is only moderate compared to other people who have severe tinnitus. But when I use foam plugs I find my tinnitus is amplified a lot, I find the musicians type earplug let ambient noise in so my tinnitus is only slightly more amplified, wearing a pair of ear defenders, ear muffs I find are intolerable because it blocks out all the noise. That's why I want some custom made plugs with a filter in them.

19. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Mick,

Let's just say I have had my t ten years and I'd confidently score it an 8-9 out of ten for loudness. Yes wearing plugs is a killer for me as it makes it sooo much louder when they are in, but I would rather that than risk permanent worsening.

I also use a pair of foam plugs that I cut in half for situations where I worry it may be loud...like shops, cafes etc I find it gives a little protection and makes me feel safe but it doesn't make the t sound as loud as full plugs and I can still hear people talking etc....I am guessing this would be a similar effect that you would jet by using musicians plugs but I never really liked them myself....I didn't trust the little hole they have in the middle to attenuate the sounds....for me the hole = sound going direct in the ear so I was like (n)

I should point out that I have bad noise phobia as my t has worsened over the years and the only explanation I can imagine that is plausible is further noise damage. That being said I have probably protected my ears more than most since I got the t and yet it still continues to rise. After ten years...I still don't know the answers!

20. Lynnette
      Blah

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 2013
      Do most peoples T rise over the years? Do some just stay the same? Mine is so loud now that if it continues to rise as I age, I don't want to get old :(

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sorry to hear your tinnitus is loud rhea, 8 to 9 out of 10 loudness would be severe tinnitus, that sucks! :( how are you doing with that, are you coping? Does it affect you greatly?

I had mild tinnitus for 14 months, then it increased to I would say moderate 3 months ago from loud noise exposure, I'm habituating to it now, it doesn't bother me a great deal. But I don't know how I would cope if it was severe though? Hope you find some peace rhea, take care.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't know Lynette, hopefully it doesn't get worse, I have the same fear.

23. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I think a lot of people have that fear, including me. I won't be able to cope with it if it becomes really loud.

24. EdnaLegume
      Cheeky

EdnaLegume Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1999
      My pulsitile T has never increased in volume since 1999. (Knock on wood). The ringing increased after about two years but I blame tmj and anxiety for the increase.