Hi!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Borealis, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Borealis
      Crappy

Borealis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/15
      Hi Everyone!
      I have had T for about 1 week now. No injuries or loud noise exposure. Went to my doc. She thinks it is a reaction to ibuprofen. Thing is I have been taking IB for years, why now? I am trying to educate myself on the matter but am freaking myself out by the things I am reading.... it could be my neck/brain? I had sudden onset, just like that. Constant humming, medium high pitch. I work out about 4 times a week, bootcamp style. I have been working out for about 1 year. Could it be a neck strain, blocking a nerve as a result? I sometimes get a little dizzy and need to "pop" my ears. I am glad to have found this site, looking for answers, relief and peace of mind. Thank you!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Borealis, and welcome!

It's hard to say what could have caused your sudden onset tinnitus; there are so many possibilities. It could be the ibuprofen, but since you've been taking it for a long time, that's hard to believe.

Have you had your hearing tested lately? You could see about having a hearing exam to determine if you have any hearing loss/damage to your ears.

What you describe about the dizziness and the feeling of fullness/need to pop your ears is fairly common. I know that I had both of those symptoms right at first, myself. In my case, the fullness feeling and the dizziness went away, but the tinnitus has remained.

You could try asking your doctor for a prescription for Prednisone, which sometimes helps with early tinnitus. Another suggestion is to try taking NAC (N-acetylcistene), a natural supplement, to see if it might help you.

Others on this forum may have additional suggestions for you, and don't forget to read the "Don't Panic" section on the home page of this forum (upper right hand side of page).

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Hi @Borealis,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great community and very supportive. I agree with everything @Karen said and I'll add that we are here for you so don't hesitate to ask anything.

Hugs to you ((Borealis))

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Borealis
      Crappy

Borealis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/15
      Thank you Karen and Kati for your replies, I appreciate it very much! I will be sure to read the don't panic section.
      It has only been a week but I am over it. I wake up hoping it will be gone... and still there.
      Thank you again. I will be reading on the advice this site has to offer.

5. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      You are only a week in so its too soon to panic. I had aural fullness for ages before my T kicked in as well. I even saw two ENTs during that period nether could explain it and neither mentioned it could be a precursor to tinnitus. All they kept saying was my pressure was OK they couldn't see any infection,

So I wasn't even really warned it was coming. It was intermittent and first and if they had given me better advice I would have asked for steroids or the Oxygen Chamber thing that you can do straightaway.

I'm just dealing with it in my own now and with forums as there seems to be more info from fellow sufferers. Med profession sadly just tell you to live with it

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Borealis
      Crappy

Borealis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/26/15
      Thank you Evian. I am almost one month in... it is driving me crazy. I am supposed to go see my family next week. I have to fly 12 hours in order to get there. Is it ok to fly with tinnitus? Also, what is the fullness feeling about? it comes and goes for me. The last 2 days have been the worst and I have the fleeting tinnitus too. I am thinking about going to the ER and get checked out. This is making me feel uneasy. As I read about tinnitus and what it could be..... I am freaking myself out... This is no fun. I should be excited about my trip and all I feel is anxiety... :(
      Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.