High Blood Pressure Medication That Does Not Increase Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by MCK Trader, Mar 3, 2015.

1. MCK Trader
      Cowboy

MCK Trader Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Hello fellow forum members,

I'm a 71 year old male, type 2 diabetes [using daily insulin - most recent Ha1c was 5.9], possible congestive heart failure, currently taking high blood pressure [HBP] med clonidine 0.1mg three times daily, and have bilateral intrusive T. Most of the time since T began - 05/15/2014 - clonidine has adequately maintained an 'acceptable' HBP range. However, beginning about 4 weeks ago, HBP began to increase. Presently, HBP ranges from sometimes low 140s to 190s -systolic [usually in upper ranges]; 55 to 80 diastolic, pulse rate usually 48 - 80. I have tried three different HBP meds - diovan, cardizem, and hydralazine. A few years ago, before T onset, I used diovan without any problem. About two weeks ago, with a new prescription, I tried diovan 80mg again, but by the end of the second day -- T intensity has increased so much I simply could not emotionally bear it and halted its use. However, diovan did significantly and quickly decrease HBP. The other two HBP meds prescribed presented so many potential adverse side effects plus the likelihood of increasing T, I did not attempt to try either one. I've also tried hydrochorothiamide [diuretic] in combination with clonidine - same T increase.

I realize that most individuals will not likely respond in an exact manner to a particular med, supplement, food, etc.

However, I would be very appreciative if those members who take a HBP med that does not significantly increase T intensity, or at least very little, could let me know via reply posting of the name of such HBP med that works for you. I'm just hoping for a number of possibilities to begin searching for one that will function for me -- both decrease HBP and not increase T.

As an older person without adequate daily HBP control, I realize that I'm facing either a heart attack, stroke, vision or kidney problems likely in the near future.

I'm growing more and more desperate, thus my reason to appeal to the very people who probably collectively have greater practical awareness of T than many so-called healthcare 'professionals.' Local cardiologists, neurologists, and MDs don't seem to be very aware of the complexities of T. And, don't seem to be interested in trying to help.

I would be extremely grateful to you, if some personal insights / personal info could be shared with me concerning your experiences with HBP and T. It seems to me that among all the forum members, surely some are using HBP meds that have little to no effect upon T.

Please help me with my problem!

Thank you,
      MCK Trader

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @MCK Trader: I know that many blood pressure meds list tinnitus as a side effect. But in most situations (not all but most), the risk of that happening is very small. The risk is greater, as it appears you know, of you having a heart attack, stroke or other serious medical event due to uncontrolled HBP. Your systolic number is very high.

I have been taking meds for hypertension for almost 30 years (I have been chronically hypertensive since very young) and have tried a few. Right now, I am on Enalapril -- have taken it for at least 7, 8 years without serious problems. It has not worsened my tinnitus, although I was taking it before I developed T. Enalapril is an ACE inhibitor.

One thing to watch is your dosage level. I was on 10 mg Enalapril daily for awhile, and it made me dizzy. We were able to cut it to 5 mg daily and the symptoms greatly eased, plus my pressure still was under control. Find a doctor who is willing to work with you regarding trying different meds and dose levels. At least with HPB drugs, you have a lot of choices, most of them affordable.

I am hoping @Karen will chime in, as I believe her tinnitus was brought on by HPB medications (plus she is smart and kind!).
      Good luck!

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I am using Ramipril, an ACE inhibitor, for about 3 years now and it has not worsened my T. This is the drug name for Canada and I don't know if it uses the same for the States.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Billie,

The drug you're taking (Ramipril) is known by the brand name Altace. I'm glad it is working so well for you, and that it hasn't increased your tinnitus. Everyone is different, so it's hard to say which drugs might be potentially ototoxic for some people.

In my case, it was an ACE inhibitor (Lisinopril) that caused my mild tinnitus to get worse. I was then switched to a beta blocker -- first propranolol, then Toprol XL. I've read since then that most beta blockers (especially Atenolol, which is basically the same thing as Toprol XL) can be very ototoxic, and may even cause hearing loss in some people. I wish doctors would consider their patient's background and history before prescribing these drugs, as they are very potent.

I think my problem occurred because I already had tinnitus in one ear, plus some hearing loss. The drug just exacerbated my condition. Plus, I think that those of us who are 60 or older stand a greater risk of having side effects from these drugs.

MCK Trader, I hope you are able to find a drug that works for you with minimal side effects. Surely there must be some out there that have not had a history of ototoxicity. Here is a link to an interesting article about medicines and ototoxicity: http://www.tinnitusformula.com/library/ototoxicity-medications-that-cause-tinnitus/#.VPZ0Hrl0xok

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MCK Trader
      Cowboy

MCK Trader Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      @ LadyDi; @ billie48,

Thanks to you two wonderful members for sharing your personal info!

I probably should also mention that I walk everyday with our golden retriever [West Texas weather permitting] about 1.25 = 1.5 miles each day. Exercise everyday with physical bodily, cable resistance, modest weight, and limited amount of aerobic exercise [total amount of physical activity time equals almost ninety minutes]. Have lost a little more than 40 pounds over last ten months, cautious diet and with portion sizes, very little salt or sugar, artificial sweeteners, low carbs, no caffeine, no alcohol, and no tobacco of any kind in more than 50 years, very little red meat, and lots of veggies and fruits.

I hope others will reply / post also.

Thanks again.

6. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      i have taken lisinopril with no harmful side effects.

7. Jbeans

Jbeans Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Do all blood pressure meds cause tinnitus ? Is there a comprehensive list of which ones do or don't ?

8. Ann C.

Ann C. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      I've been taking Losartan (the generic version of Cozaar) for several years. I have no idea what triggered my T; I didn't realize that blood pressure drugs could be the culprit.

Is it possible that this side effect could develop after a few years of taking a medication, or is it more likely that you'd see it right away?

9. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I think some Betablockers can. Don´t know with other HBP meds.

10. ANSilvestri

ANSilvestri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      The constant ring of tinnitus for me just started several weeks ago. I am curious of this also because I have been taking metoprolol from at least 10 years and all of the sudden BOOM..the ring started. It was like a light switch being turned on.

11. jross7

jross7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I too was on to topeol for several years and just suddenly my t started....However my b.p. was really not well controlled with that drug. So after I ran to my dr about the ringing she gave me a newer bp drug called telmisartan at 40 mg. It did lower my bp some but not enough and went to 80 mg a day and after 2 weeks by ears stopped ringing....soI am hoping it was uncontrolled high bp,that started mine. Interesting enough on two weekends we had overnight guests my ears were ringing ,but by Mon am it had stopped.So right now ,for me,I I need to keep my anxiety level and bp under control.....will report back in a month

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Im taking atenolol 50 and recently cut the dosage in half for my blood pressure was 96 over 68. My diet changed with the onset of the T and lost 25 lbs and wasnt fat to begin with. With the weight loss and working out at the gym the blood pressure really lowered. I thought perhaps my T would leave or reduce in volume but have noticed no difference and atenolol is known for causing T. My MD said I have high end frquency loss with my hearing and that caused the T. Now taking half of a pill and bp is 100 over 70 and will try to wean off of it all together....

13. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I take metoprolol as well but I have been on this for about 6 years .

14. evie418

evie418 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2000
      I'm also looking for a blood pressure medication that isn't known to cause or exacerbate tinnitus. I think my original tinnitus began when I was taking Wellbutrin for the first time back in 2000. I stopped the Wellbutrin, but the tinnitus continued. So I went back on the Wellbutrin and have stayed on it. My tinnitus has slowly gotten a bit worse which is no surprise since my hearing has gotten worse as well.

Three years ago I went to a new doctor who prescribed Atenelol because my bp was very high at that point. I was on a very low dose. I think half of the lowest dose available. My blood pressure went down quickly, but after about two weeks on 1/2 dose, I would awaken with the sound like a weed whacker makes when it's dying down. I panicked. The doctor swore it couldn't be the medication. But I took myself off it. Now three years later that sound is pretty much gone. My bp at this point isn't off the charts, but I'd like to get it lower. It ranges from 132/70 to 150/80 at the doctor's office. However, I'm terrified of ramping my tinnitus up again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As an aside, I find no direct cause for my tinnitus getting louder or softer. I was very stressed a few weeks ago, but my tinnitus was at a bearable level. Today, I'm feeling pretty relaxed and it's hissing away at a much louder volume.

15. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Atenolol is bad news for tinnitus especially in later illness...

16. evie418

evie418 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2000
      According to a Dr. Neil Bauman the two least ototoxic drugs are Levobunolol and Nebivolol. I haven’t tried either.

I stopped taking Wellbutrin last spring and after a couple of months my BP dropped to just about the normal range. I’ve also been taking Golden Paste which is a cooked combination of tumeric, water, freshly ground pepper and olive oil. That is supposed to lower your blood pressure as well. The admins of a Facebook page that gives info about the GP say that if you’re taking BP meds to monitor your blood pressure closely as you may need less.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Anyone else have experience taking Metoprolol? Did it spike your tinnitus?

I started on a low dose, 12.5 mg, today. I think it's my anxiety playing tricks on me... My tinnitus went up 15 minutes after taking it.

If it does increase my tinnitus I might have to try Nebivolol.

18. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Damn it. Metoprolol increases my tinnitus. Oh well, I can check that off the list. Nebivolol next.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Looks like Nebivolol also increases my tinnitus. 6th day on and my tinnitus has increased.

Anyone have luck with ACE inhibitors? Looks like beta blockers don't work for me.

Any insight would be appreciated.

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      What about ARBs? For some reason i have it logged in my head that ACE inhibitors are less preferable for several risk related reasons as compared to ARBs.

21. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Thanks for the suggestion. I'll investigate and run it by my doctor as well.

22. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      @Sayeed, I take Lisinopril and it hasn’t affected my tinnitus at all.

23. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Thank you .

That's actually next one I want to give a try!

24. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi - just to say there is some reports from certain sources that blood pressure meds can be "ototoxic" but as has been mentioned above much earlier, I do believe that we are all different and what may impact you or me may not be the case for others etc.

For example I had been taking Lisinopril for around 16 years before I first experienced my tinnitus in 2020. At first reading reports that Lisinopril can cause it I panicked and actually tried other blood pressure meds but I did perceive that tinnitus just seemed to get worse at the time (I have no way of really knowing if that was the case or not from those other meds).

But then in May of 2021 researching/speaking with my doctor etc they said that the chance that Lisinopril would suddenly cause this after 16 years would be very slim, so I went back to it in May 2021 and my tinnitus has progressively got so much better since then. I am pretty sure that my tinnitus was from prolonged noise exposure (earbuds) that I started using a lot in 2020, (that I have now not used for nearly 2 years) so feel much more certain that was the cause.

So my advice would to just keep in mind that fact that we are different and what may be bad for some is not for all etc. Good luck in finding what works best for you!