I Feel Like I'm on a Boat. Vertigo?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sen, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      for the past few days i've been having a strange vertigo type feeling where i feel like i'm on a rocking boat. this is causing minor "seasickness." i'm getting real tired of this. it seems that every time one of my symptoms stops becoming a problem, another one springs up in its place. hopefully this will pass...

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Echoes,
      Yes, it certainly sounds like vertigo. When my bad tinnitus first began, almost 3 years ago, I felt unbalanced all the time, and had occasional episodes of vertigo, as well. I'm not experiencing that any more. I have been going to a chiropractic neurologist, who has gradually helped me restore my balance. I'm still not sure what caused my imbalance, but it's a good feeling to have that behind me now.

Have you been to a doctor regarding these out-of-balance feelings? Meniere's disease involves episodes of vertigo. Has an ENT ruled that out for you?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i've been to a neurotologist and practically everything has been ruled out. i don't have significant hearing loss and nothing showed up on my CT scan.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So, did you have a CT scan of the temporal bone?

I can definitely relate to your problem. I went to a total of 3 neurotologists when this first started, and they couldn't find anything, either. It could be that tinnitus somehow throws our whole system out of balance (just speculating here), and that's what causes the weird, out-of-balance feeling in your head. Mine felt weird for quite awhile, and I was sort of afraid to go places alone because of the almost-dizzy feeling I was experiencing.

When did your tinnitus begin?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i know my CT scan was of the lower skull/ear area. i'm not sure what the temporal bone is.

i don't remember when my tinnitus started. the first time i remember hearing it was in 2007, when i was 18. it was quiet (couldn't hear it outside of a quiet room) for many years, until October 2012, when i got a pretty bad case of hyperacusis along with increased tinnitus and other weird ear symptoms. i'm 24 now. my tinnitus is loud and electrical sounding, lots of oscillation and reverb. i can hear it pretty much all the time.

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Mine's electrical. I get oscillation. What do you mean by reverb?

7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Echoes, I'm willing to bet that your "rocking the boat" symptoms will pass. It's just that there's all this noise going on in your head, and it makes you feel like there is motion going on, too. Or, at least, that's how mine feels.

Louise, mine sounds electrical, too. I can't tell if there is oscillation, because I have a pulsating undercurrent that I hear all the time, along with it.

Echoes, The temporal bone is in the lower skull. So, I think you probably had the same type of CT scan that I had.
      Looks like you've had tinnitus for about 6 years now. Hopefully, this latest symptom won't last long. Hope you feel better soon!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      in a way it feels like the feeling is connected to the noise, but i feel dizzy even in moments when my tinnitus is masked. also, i've had increased tinnitus for months and it is only now turning into this vertigo 'floating' feeling. i've had dizzy spells before, but never this long or this intense. it's been this way for 4 days straight now.

9. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Had that I think too. Went to have a VNG test -(purposely make you dizzy) and I did not have vestibular disorder as suggested my my eye doc. It went away by itself. However, the VNG tech gave me exercises called vestibular rehabilitation program which is a series of exercises to regain balance. Every now and then I find that I have a floating sensation. I take deep breaths and it clears. could just be tension. I think mine was from stress.

I hate that feeling... my best wishes for this to clear goes out to you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      yeah, i feel like i'm floating. if i keep my head still it feels like it's floating away from my body. it's a very lightheaded, tilting sort of feeling.

i hate this. life was finally becoming bearable with my T and H, and now i have to deal with vertigo. it's the worst it's ever been right now. it looks like my monitor is constantly trying to tilt to the left..

i really hope i don't start throwing up. :(

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Echoes, I really feel for you, and I hope it goes away soon. Try to take it easy, if possible, and don't do anything that involves moving your head suddenly. It will hopefully clear by itself. I've had it before, and it's not a pleasant experience!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      can't catch a break. :(

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you still have the vertigo?

14. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      hmmm... Can you call your doc and get a VNG test? You can google it to see what it is about. Could be labrynthitis... an infection of some sort.

Mine went away ... hope that gives you some hope.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      yes i still have the vertigo. it's been almost a week now. i'm trying to book an appointment with my doctor but he's away until next Monday and it'll probably be another couple weeks after that before i actually get in to see him...

16. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Karen has good advice about sudden head moments.

Have you tried meclizine (motion sickness pills) ??? ... at your local drug store... over the counter.

ps..
      I put my attention on your condition -- with the intention of balanced and stable.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      it's been a full week now and it's as bad as ever. i've been taking betahistine 16mg three times a day and it is not doing a thing. i'm going to try taking meclizine next. my god this is awful.

18. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry to hear that, Echoes1. It is a really horrible experience, that's for sure. Are you still going to try to get an appointment with your doctor if it keeps up?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      yes. i can't even book the appointment until Monday though. i might try to go to the walk in clinic...

20. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Betahistine 16mg 3x times a day is quite a large dose. Please remember that to see the effects of betahistine it needs to be taken for few weeks. And hang in there!

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      really? i didn't even have enough for 7 days. guess i'll have to wait to see the doctor...

22. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      Echoes - doesn't it say so in the drug insert? This drug is aimed at relieving the symptoms of meniere's disease (vertigo, nausea, ear fullness etc.) but I've been taking it for over 4 months to help with tinnitus and I think it is a good drug.
      EDIT: I looked at the drug insert of my betahistine and it also says that for any effects you need to take it for few weeks. But it will be best if you ask your doctor. I am not a professional so I might be wrong.

23. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Fish, do you find Betahistine has lowered the volume?

24. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I tried several things at the same time, betahistine among them and my T did indeed go down in volume. I cannot attribute this to betahistine alone, but I will always suggest everyone to try.

25. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Thanks. Could you remind me how you got your T, was it noise-induced?

I have just started taking Pregabalin (Lyrica) to see if it will reduce the noise. There's been some success stories with it.

Its hard for me that T has made me a junkie. I have always been 'against' drugs due to the effects on the body.

26. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      echoes. I remember you from DS & your severe disorder. Have you got any good suggestions from either forum ?
      Sounds alot like Meniere's symtoms. I thought I was progressing to that, as it felt like a windshield wiper going back & forth in my head. Have you looked into perfusions to your ears ? Maybe that would cut down some of your symptoms if you have hydrops.

We don't want you to do anything bad to yourself, thats for sure. Remember a permanent solution to a temporary problem (hope) is not the answer. You got dealt a worse hand than most of us here, but were all suffering and want to help each other in anyway we can. About all we can do is share our experiences and offer any advice that we may have.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      i have not, nor have i received any good advice from my doctors. so little is known about this type of problem that there's not really anything anyone can do. you're more or less forced to live in absolute misery forever.

a fatal heart attack would be welcomed at this point. i'm worn out. each day is a warfield and i'm gradually losing my mind.

28. burak

burak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      echoes, do you have any improvement on your symptoms? I have the same symptoms for the last 7 months and still nothing has changed. Doctors can't find anything wrong with me but i still have that weird rocking on a boat feeling. i also have tinnitus and visual problems. when i focus on something, the object that i'm looking startes to wave. When I blink, it's going back to normal. so if anyone knows anyhing about this please help, i'm actually losing hope. (Sorry if i made writing mistakes, english is not my native language)

29. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Could also be Mal Bebarquement disease? Check it out.

30. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Are you on any meds? Or were you? I had this for about 6 months after ototoxic poisoning. I still have it but it's not as bad anymore. I could barely walk at times in the beginning.