Is There a Chance That Tinnitus Could Also Be Because of Root Canals?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Fiore, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I have 3 and will need redoing soon. I am worried though, my T did not start because of dental work but rather ear syringing in the right ear. So is there a chance root canals can cause T. If so millions of people have root canals how come they don't get T? its why I'm worried and maybe its because of my root canals but I didnt have T befor ethis impacted ear wax and then the removal. I hear ringing all around. Also no metal fillings I redid those a long time ago. And also one more questions, is it possible for T to spread to the other ear?

2. I have done one bad root canal and 6 fillings and no changes in my T. And yes i have been eating a lot of sugar and sweets since my T outbreak:whistle:

• Useful Useful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      :/ I have cut out sugars and I feel it helps. The day before yesterday I tested that theory out I had a huge slice of cake D: and at night I paid for it good. The ringing was so loud I paced back and forward (sigh)

Well hope everything at the dentist turns out ok.

4. Going to the dentist was one thing that i was very scared of when i got T, but i there have been no problems at all for me.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
    6. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I have to have a root canal next week, I'm scared enough of the dentist, let alone a root canal and the effect on my T! :(

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @geg1992 yea me too if anything you should let your dentist know that you suffer from T and to make sure he makes your crown at a height thats right for your mouth so as to not have any jaw issues.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Luca
      Amused

Luca Member

I doubt it. The root canal removes the nerve of the infected tooth. When root canals fail after treatment or years after treatment and the re-treatment fails aswell a root resection has some potential to upset the trigeminal nerve endings which has been associated with T in some cases.

But normal root canal and re-treatment of it for infection I would say no.

Yes, this does happen for some.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Thanks @Luca mines aren't for infection the dentist just said it was time to redo them as I've had them since 2008 :/ so idk I might leave them like they are.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah true, I shall do, thanks! :) my dentist seems like he doesn't care much though but it's worth a try. It's frustrating how little people know about T!

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @geg1992 stress it to him, I sure as hell will.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. CarolinaGuy
      Wishful

CarolinaGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely ototoxicity
      I got my tinnitus not long after a root canal.

However, I do not think it was the surgery that did it, but the fact that the dentist recommended I start taking Ibuprofen for the pain and swelling, which I did.
      That was a fateful decision, as the Ibuprofen subsequently proved to be the major factor that pushed me over the edge and triggered my T.

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ive had root canal and removal of my amalgams recently. No changes in my t.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @CarolinaGuy and @DebInAustralia Thank you, you may be right. @CarolinaGuy I have read that for many Ibuprofen has been a cause as to why their T spiked.

Can someone please help me with this. I wake up to silence every morning its what i'm noticing, and about a couple of moments later (half hour or so) my T spikes up/starts. Could anyone know the cause as to why this may be? Is it so strange I don't get it. I am thinking it maybe because I put no pressure on my teeth/ jaw for some reason i always have a gap in my mouth when i sleep (its what ive been told). No soreness or pain on the jaw but then again no soreness or pain in the jaw during the day so it makes me unsure whether it could be TMJ/TMD. This is frustrating.

15. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Fiore :)

I think this may be normal, it seems to happen to me too, I especially noticed it when I first got tinnitus after a concert.

16. densich

densich Member

I could write a book on tinnitis....have had it for 6 years...was so very freaked at first wasn't sure if anxiety was worse then the tinnitus...I went to every doctor....finally went to a psychiatrist and started on paxil and ativsn....my tinnitus went away for a year...it is back again but I don't focus on it as much snd if it is bothering me I take an ativan. It has seriously saved my sanity...

17. densich

densich Member

Tinnitus is usually from hearing loss or touch aspirin. ..

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Is your T set in volume? or does it fluctuate? What causes it to spike?

This sucks guys this all started from an impacted ear wax pressing up against my ear drum and then having it syringed WITHOUT the use of drops first. I didn't know I have never had ear problems or an ear cleaning before. Now all my plans have really changed and are changing.....(sigh) :(

I have read of T triggered because of ear syringing, but the thing is. Is it triggering pre-tinnitus that was already there OR what damage can syringing do to the ear drum? What is it that gets damaged the nerves on the ear drum? the tiny bones behind it or the loud noise, cold water and pressure of the solution?

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Before T, I would use headphones from time to time LOUD...in the event of noise induced trauma what are the test that need to be done in order to see if the little hairs in the cochlea are damaged? because of noise. I rather be 100% sure as I'm set to see the ENT (another one not the one who did the irrigation) on the 20th I'm giving it until the 19th to see if it goes away (who are we kidding right?) but either way I want to make sure I'm getting the right test done so as not to pay for something I know I don't need. I have no insurance so I'm giving away and arm and leg on that day hopefully this doc won't take advantage of that.

20. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's hard to tell as I don't notice it during the day, it's only at night where it can cause a problem due to lack of sleep. About twice a day it gets insanely loud that it over powers everything, but it usually dies down within 10 seconds - 1 minute.

It randomly spikes and I don't know why really. Wearing ear plugs seems to be the worst thing as it makes my ears sensitive (H) and makes me focus on T more.

What do you mean my plans changing if you don't mind me asking?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      But is tinnitus, ALWAYS linked to hearing loss? Because I can hear such quiet sounds like the vibrating on a cell phone, the blowing leaves from a tree, etc...

22. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      There are plenty of people here with good hearing.

23. densich

densich Member

Just please know that ativan is a

24. densich

densich Member

Please know ativan helped tremendously with my tinnitus. It helps me not dwell on the sound and keeps me calm. Don't know that I would have done without it. Even read an article where a dr said paxil and ativan helped his patients.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Fiore
      Doubtful

Fiore Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I am looking up Atvian and seeing if it is under otoxic meds for tinnitus. I would hate it if it made it worse. Did it cause any difference in your T with it and how did your T leave for a year?