Is Tinnitus Caused By a Shock to the Auditory System?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Apr 28, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      This may sound stupid, but is T mostly from a shock to the auditory system, like sudden hearing loss for example?

As I see people say that a lot of people who lose their hearing over time don't get T, is this because it's gradual so the brain compensates for it easily? Whereas for example an acoustic trauma is sudden hearing loss so the brain just doesn't cope so sends out a random signal being T?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh, perhaps I was wrong thinking it was a silly question! :)

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think this is interesting and no one really knows, but a current working theory is that the tinnitus signal is initially a normal response to input loss of some kind, which is supposed to be cancelled by an inhibitory mechanism (somewhere in the thalamus?) before it reaches conscious awareness, and that people with chronic tinnitus have a structural brain problem that results in a loss of this inhibition which allows the signal to become a conscious percept.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Jessikweh
      Studious

Jessikweh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Misdiagnosed as Meniere's Disease.
      I think it really differs, & no one knows. I've never had any form of hearing loss or been around loud noises. I just woke up in the middle of the night with tinnitus! Though that is a very interesting theory.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just out of interest, what frequency have you had your ears tested to? As I had none on the doctors hearing test, but when I tested my self, my left ear has hearing loss about 16.5K, whereas I can hear up to 18K in my right, so I assume this is what's causing my T, as it was the left ear which was muffled after the gig.