It's truly maddening

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ty shattuck, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      I've had one form of tinnitus or another for years. I've been playing drums for about 7 years and for the first couple of years I didn't use earplugs. Big mistake! Although the ringing was quite prominent it dissipated after a few weeks or months or perhaps I just stopped noticing it. Well recently my band I have purchased etymotic in ear monitors (ear buds) that go deep into the ear canal and within two weeks my ringing has gotten so bad it's as if I just went to a black sabbath concert. It's been the longest 3 days of my life and I just can't find things to distract me.. I wil soon be going to an ENT soon. I doubt they will be able to find much.. I did a standard checkup last evening ans they gave me Xanax for the anxiety and it seemed to have worked for a few hours.. Until it wore off an gave the tinnitus center stage. It seems to be even louder, I hope to god this is just some sort of spike otherwise, That dark path seems very enticing. If anyone can give me a suggestion for suppressants that actually work I'd put you in my will. I'm 18 years of age so that could be quite the investment! No white noise truly masks this and it seems the very medicine I've taken for years (on and off) recently on, has perhaps exacerbated the ringing I.e. diphenhydramine hydrochloride or *Equate nighttime sleep aid. I've read up extensively on all the "detrimental" medicines and or triggers and its absurd how little people know about something so prevalent. It's like a witch hunt. I don't want to lose my life over this and I certainly don't want to lose my livelihood either. Please help me.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      Oh and to add the in ear monitors took out a mass of ear wax.. Perhaps pushing some further back into my ear canals..

3. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      Hi ty,

earwax can create tinnitus so if that's your problem, it's very simple and the ENT will notice it immediately.

If you use etymotic in ear monitors, you should be careful about the sound level as it can be easy to put the volume higher than needed

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      I had a standard checkup blood test, ct scan and my ears were checked but before all of this I attempted to clean my ears with peroxide so I doubt there is much ear wax left.. Lets hope the ENT and or an audiologist can find something. But as I've seen through countless stories they find nothing a majority of the time.

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes is is maddening at times. Could be just ear wax as James White stated. It is possible the ENT will not find anything but you have to have them checked anyway to rule other possible causes. Tinnitus that comes and goes early on are your ears warning you to take it easy on them. Your ears can heal and repair themselves to a point. After you reach that point, the ringing stays.

Since this spike is early on and possibly due to noise trauma, try some magnesium (anything but oxide), NAC or try some Resveratrol. See this thread https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...protect-from-noise-induced-hearing-loss.1138/. Drugs like Retagabine might help-- http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/4079173-74/tinnitus-tzounopoulos-mice#axzz2dhpnnYsB.

You definitely should consult your dr first about what is happening and these studies above. It is a tricky thing to navigate but done early after onset could make a difference.

6. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hi Ty sorry to hear about your T, magnesium supplements at night helps me sleep and keeps the T calm next day too, also camomile tea ( night blend ) hope your T subsides soon.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      I started a modest dosing of Xanax to ease the anxiety from the ringing, Ive also started using magnesium supplements with zinc and of course melatonin. I'm so used to tinnitus that I would practically joke about it.. It became a background noise but now it's ever present. I pray for some sort of positive therapy. Thanks for the advice all, I certainly hope this can resolved and I can go back to being the moderately healthy cynic I was before this nightmare.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ty shattuck

Ty shattuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2013
      No positive changes as of late.. Insomnia is setting in.
      Talk about a rut