Levetiracetam (Keppra) Worked for My Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Boy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I'm not trying to accuse you of anything but people take your words literally and I know you tend to just say things without thinking them through. I'm just saying don't call it something that it hasn't been proved to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, keppra is a very safe drug and is now a generic drug, so it's very cheap and is used in children, babies and even dogs. I see no reason to not try it. It's cured my hyperacusis and Vikings. I'm just saying try it. Nobody said MPT was wrong...I'm not wrong, just that people see tinnitus as a larger issue than hyperacusis when they are both equally bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There you go again. Just forget it I don't think you understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, what do you want me to say? I don't understand as I don't see why I can't say I was cured, when I was? Sorry, just confused, here.

5. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      when you stop the medication and still don't have any hyperacusis then you can say you are cured. right now I would say that you are being treated successfully but there are differences between a treatment and a cure

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Ok, I understand now. When I stop, I'll keep y'all updated for now, I'll stop saying cured, just treated.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Danny...can you please post the source article for this quote (extract below) in post #83...I'd like to look at it more and have it accessible. Thanks!
      Zimichael

Etc., etc.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I wrote that, so I'm the source.

9. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      I'm happy that your H is gone but I will have to agree, I wouldn't say that you are cured. When are you going to go off the medication, how much longer to plan on taking it?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'll take it for two months at 1,500mg twice a day...However, I'm hoping it will help with the tinnitus too..I'm taking a mixture of Campral, Keppra and Trobalt. Let's see where this takes me.

11. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Danny Boy i thought u said it cured u man.. You have to be careful on what you say bro.. Is viking still. Taking his for his h too...

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I feel like I'm cured, but I'm still on keppra as I wanna make sure. Viking isn't on keppra anymore and his hyperacusis is totally gone. Once I'm off I'll let you know if I'm cured. For now, I'll just say I'm treated.

• Like Like x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Update from Viking!

"Small update;
      the doctor who prescribed the Keppra on me in december of past year, it being administered to patients who had previously received some relief from the combination of gabapentin + clonazepam. The results seem to be encouraging, especially in the group of patients who suffer from tinnitus unilateral not tonal but white noise, narrowband noise linked with Misophonia or hyperacusis. After 3 months of testing, the maximum dosage of 2000mg per day were obtained the following results:
      1) Reduction of tinnitus NOT TONAL from 6 to 3. Disappearance of "tinnitus reactivity". Disappearance of Misophonia (FULL).
      Drastic reduction of the headaches associated with iperacusia.The patients have improvement in mood and in their ability to react to their situation of suffering. 2 persons have abandoned the use of SSRIs and are climbing out the use of benzodiazepines.
      2) If the tinnitus is tonal, no relevant difference. (not lucky people)
      3) If there are hyperacusis or Misophonia, after a month of treatment, the symptoms begin to weigh less on quality of life.
      4) In patients who did not obtain benefits, was prescribed the Flexiban (Flexeril ... always cyclobenzaprine), with good results on tinnitus tonal, general tension, hyperacusis and headaches. It is noted that these patients have problems related to the neck or jaw or to the structure of the dental arches. Very common side effects that lead patients to abandon the following therapy are excessive sedation or tachycardia. Flexiban has a structure similar to Tegretol. Both are "cousins" of tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline or nortriptyline that already in the past have been shown to have some efficacy in the tensive states, headaches or migraine, hyperacusis, generalized anxiety.
      It is hoped that these results are permanent, in view of a future development of Biviracetam (enhanced version of Levetiracetam x10) who @Danny Boy is most active in the research, the suffers may have some help with a drug already tested and without serious side effects, avalaibilty and low price."

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      This also goes to show that there are many different reasons why people have T and different conditions which create and cause it. Some have tonal, some don't. Some like me, have erratic noise mixed with hissing kettles & crickets and a couple of tonal sounds all at once (like the orchestra from hell). Then you add in some hyperacusis, some don't, maybe misphonia, maybe not.... A one size fits all pill is most likely not the answer to this cure you talk about.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I find that untrue as keppra is working on the KV3.1 channels which can repolarize those nuerons and put them back into a normal state...Keppra isn't as potent as Autifony's new drug or brivaracetam, but it's the only KV3.1 modulator on the market...If it can reduce tinnitus, rid us of hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus, then you'd be a fool not to try it. The way I see it is, keppra has very mild side-effects, wow mild headache...If you honestly don't want to help yourself then I give up. This will be my last post about keppra as I honestly just give up, I try and I try but nobody listens so you know what everyone, I honestly stopped caring. Good luck everyone, I hope you do help yourself but alas my journey with trying to shout to the rooftops about keppra ends here.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    16. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      If this can cure my hyperacusis im taking it or even if it can treat it. Severe H is not joke. Every freaking noise hurts like a blade and worsens my t...and i have mixed tones, its hell..

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      anyone else here tried keppra with positive results?

18. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      That remains to be seen...we will have to wait till people with T are shouting from the rooftops as Dannyboy suggests.
      I am not saying I have given up. I just don't care enough about my T to go through the trouble or want to put myself through the human Guinea pig trials again. I did enough of that in the past. I am not saying I don't want my T gone someday. It is super loud today. Its just not a huge priority in my life right now. However, I am happy it has worked for you. I would still like others to update this thread if they experience similar results as you did. It is important for us to continue to hear the positives because we all benefit. Thanks for your contribution.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Keppra is cheap and very mild in terms of side-effects. Trobalt=major side effects and expensive. Anyway, your choice mate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not a horrible side effects profile as far as hardcore seizure drugs go, but I wouldn't call it "mild".

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/levetiracetam-side-effects.html

Severe emotional volitility appears to be somewhat common among people who take this mid to long term. On seizure forums people call this "keppra rage". The fact that it has a pet name would imply it's not a particularly unusual reaction.

http://www.epilepsy.com/connect/forums/medication-issues/keppra-anger

I have seen one or two anecdotes indicating that it caused tinnitus in a few people, as well.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Have you taken Keppra or trobalt at all?

22. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope. Drugs are a big part of what got me into this mess.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Then to be honest, how do you know the effects of trobalt or keppra when you have taken neither? And Keppra nor trobalt can cause tinnitus, so don't know why you're anti keppra lol...I'd understand trobalt, but honestly I've had no issues with keppra...But can understand why you're against drugs if they caused your tinnitus in the first place.

24. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea what effect these drugs would have on me specifically. I have a good idea what the range of effects they have in general is, because there is plenty of data available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      To be honest I'm glad I've took 'em and honestly if I didn't I would've been dead. I owe my life to trobalt and keppra. I can understand why people are scared to use them, but I had nothing to lose, there was no way I was living with hyperacusis, where sounds were so amplified it was driving me crazy and reactiveness which would send tinnitus crazy and tinnitus so bad that I wanted to bang my head till I was either dead or in a coma till treatments come out. I had little choice it was either attempt to commit suicide or risk taking these drugs...And I pretty much made the best decision I believe.

26. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Are you going to take these drugs forever ?

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Of course not. Trobalt is not a drug I think anyone can be on forever.

28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      so friggin take it already, or are you waiting for the fat lady to sing?

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Danny Boy hey my friends uncle is a doctor in mexico.. His mom went for a visit and asked about keppra and they have it. They are going back on sunday and they told me if i wanted them to oick it up for me it is $100.00 .. They said they had dosages of 500mg or 1000mg.. I want to get it but im still iffy on it i am scared of the consquences tht it might make it worse, since i react bad to any drug for some reason.. But i cant stand this severe H any longer either... Im stuck.. @Viking

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I agree Dan. He says it's hell but he doesn't go out his way to get a d
      Keppra is not ototoxic...The only consequence you have is no more hyperacusis. Look, if you want me to list drugs you shouldn't take, I could, but I'll be here for ages...Let me just say, keppra is 100% a drug you should take. Also, remember to come back here and thank me and Viking for sharing this with you. If I didn't bother to campaign it and viking never tried it, we wouldn't be here today. Anyway, good luck mate.

• Agree Agree x 1