Levetiracetam (Keppra) Worked for My Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danny Boy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      camprosate (INN, BAN) (brand name Campral), or acamprosate calcium (USAN, JAN), also known as N-acetylhomotaurine or as calcium acetylhomotaurinate,[2] is a drug used for treating alcohol and benzodiazepine dependence.

Acamprosate is thought to stabilize the chemical balance in the brain that would otherwise be disrupted by alcohol withdrawal or benzodiazepine withdrawal.[3] Reports indicate that acamprosate works[clarification needed] only with a combination of attending support groups and abstinence fromalcohol.[4][5] Certain serious side effects include diarrhea, allergic reactions, irregular heartbeats, and low or high blood pressure, while less serious side effects include headaches, insomnia, and impotence.[6] Diarrhea is the most common side-effect. [7] Acamprosate should not be taken by people with kidney problems or allergies to the drug.[8]

Until it became a generic in the United States, Campral was manufactured and marketed in the United States by Forest Laboratories, while Merck KGaA markets it outside the US. It is sold as 333 mg white and odorless tablets of acamprosate calcium, which is the equivalent of 300 mg of acamprosate.[1]

• Like Like x 2
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, it seems trobalt is a wonder drug. Shocked how GSK are not doing anything with it beyond epilepsy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      @Street Spirit

I just read your last few post's, I feel so bad for you. How could this happen to anyone is beyond me, I just don't understand. But like you I was fine two months ago until I vacuumed for 2 minutes ( and I had ear plugs in ) Just like you, my very low hardly noticable hyperacusis went up like a rocket and never came back down to where it was before that day. Our stories are the same. All I can say is "What a shame for both of us"

I really hope for a better day's for us :)

Louie
      Quietatnight

PS: It's just not fair, just unbelivable

4. I agree but don't feel bad for me :)....I will get through..I don't have a choice...and interesting about the vacuuming..Guess we shouldn't of cleaned that day huh? lol..

5. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Street Spirit

I have been avoiding vacuum cleaners for years, I have always got someone else to do it, I'm so mad at myself for not staying to that plan, it would have changed everything that one choice. I will be kicking myself the rest of my life and I know it. I have a very hard time with regrets and this was a big one. I keep trying to go back in my dreams every night to that moment and try and make a better choice. I know it is what it is, but it just wasen't worth it.

Anyway,

Yeah, I guess you don't have a choice having kids must make it very hard, you must be fairly young.

Louie
      Quietatnight

PS: Daily report,,, today so far no headache's, no dizzness, I just have a little ear pain that seems to be on and off. So maybe I will be able to deal with this day ok.

• Like Like x 1

6. While that day put me into a permanent worsening ( I presume of course) I don't think about it anymore, nor regret it as In my mind, if a vacuum could do that, then eventually something else would have.

I'm glad you're having a better day! I still feel awful, but it's sunny and warm and so I will spend some of it outdoors in quiet nature.

Yes, I am young-ish..haha. Had my children VERY young..My first at 20. They are getting on and I still have lots of plans for myself depsite this malady.

You need something to take the focus off which takes the edge off. .I push myself daily...however I really would like an explanation as to why I am getting worse. It scares me...and it very well could be that I am simply doing too much?!

oh well. .one day at a time..all we can do.

7. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Street Spirit

It's very interesting that you say that, I have started to think the same way myself, " If a vacuum and or simple hearing test could do this to me then I'm sure I would have got hit with something else sooner or later", you are so right about that. It was always a matter of time, and I think in the back of my mind I always kind of thought that. I guess I should feel thankful that I made it to the old age of 62 before this happened. I mean It could have happened to me when I was in my 20's. I don't know if its any consulation to me, but I'm trying to make it be. I have a great life up till now. I have done things people only dream of doing. I have always had interesting jobs, I played in a band for a long time make tons of recordings, played in front of thousands of people. I have been been on radio and TV. Then later in life I had my own successful business for over 25 years doing what I wanted to do. I have sailed in places all over the world, and a whole lot more. So I have to keep telling myself "I had a pretty full and great life" Its the only way that I can handle what's going on right now.

I'm sure you have had a great and interesting life too...

What makes you think that you may be getting worse ? and what part seem's to be getting worse ? Maybe you only think that you getting worse.

Talk with you soon

Louie
      Quieatnight

• Like Like x 1
    8. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Got the keppra now.. Now im just scared to take it read the all the nasty side effects.. And yes i am desperate to take it but still scared at the same time..

9. I can understand that, and sounds like your life has been very fulfilling thus far.

I am in my 30's..I am not happy this has already taken almost 2 years of my life and right in the middle of going after my dreams.

It is extremely depressing...but I was coping..now...

I don't just *think* I am worse. My ears are worse. Period. I can't handle anything I could even last week!

I cannot say an exact reason why but alot had happened to me in the last month.

10. Mark662
      Transparent

Mark662 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1988
      GSK might take a different view if AUT00063 turns out to be a dud

11. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Every drug has side effects. Even supplements have side effects.
      Just because keppra has side effects doesn't mean you're actually gonna have them. And from what I read, none of its common side effects are permanent or terribly nasty (well, perhaps diarrhea could be an issue lol).
      Plus, from what I understand, your quality of life is pretty crap due to the hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Street Spirit

I have been asking myself the same question, because I feel like my ears are getting worse at times too. But what makes you feel that your ears are getting worse ? Is it that your tinnitus is a little louder ? or that things around you seem more louder ? Have you been in places were the sound is louder ? I have been trying to figure what is making my ears seems worse too. No matter what it is, it's very sad and I can appricate your concern. Do You have a DB meter app on your phone ? If so I would start to check some of the places that you go. Like your car, I now have wear ear plugs and gun muffs over them to make it the 5 miles into town for food. I used to only have to wear the ear plugs to drive for the past 5 years. I'm assuming that you wear ear plugs when you drive now. If now maybe you should it could help. I was going to go to town today I haven't been out of my house in a week and I' not looking forward to it. Last night was the first good night that I had in a long time. I felt confident and strong about this entire thing, I even had a glass of whine and went to sleep with good possitive thoughts. I slept almost 11 hours. When I woke up I felt like crap, I did not want to get out of bed. My point is we have good days and bad days maybe your just having a bad week.

Anyway, I hope you have a better day today :)

Louie

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I understand how you must feel being in your 30's and having kids and everything, but You need to remember that anything can happen a cure for this could be right around the corner. So I know that its hard but try and stay possitive its all that we can do at this point. There are going to be some good days and not so good days ahead. Meanwhile we can keep looking for an answer.

Hope to hear from you later

Louie

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup if you live in SoCal you can get ANY drug just across the boarder....so Rudy....

15. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Acamprosate was a few years ago thought to be a promising treatment for T, but turned out not to work. It turns out that the orig study that showed promise in Brazil I believe was seriously flawed.

16. Did you take it? Wishing you much luck..Don't be too scared..I have a condition where all I can take are anti seizure drugs and the side effects are horrific. This one actually sounds tame..anyways, I got " lucky" in that clonazepam alone keeps my nerve pain at bay most of the time..though becoming less effective on the ears :/

I plan on asking my Neuro for it and I will try it and keep TT updated. I have to say though, that "keppra rage" doesn't sound good..I had issues like that on ativan.

Anyways, hope all is well...

17. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Yea i started yesterday.. Just started but it only makes me sleepy so far lol i hope to see results in a couple of weeks if i do ill write a thread saying that it worked on me.. If it didnt ill do the same just hoping it would..

• Like Like x 5
    18. hope it works!! :)

19. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I think they used it also in India a lot, bus tinnitus was connected with gaba production, when gaba got udder control tinnitus stopped, it is not tinnitus they is located in thalamus, it was lack of gaba induced tinnitus...

20. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      updates anyone?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I was hoping more people would try keppra...I mean, I'm cured of hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus...Also the nasty static tone is gone. I'm super happy and no longer suffering. I just wish people would follow as I don't want people to suffer. I know firsthand how horrid it is and don't want people in that position.

22. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      @Juan Carlos said he doesnt notice his mild h he had anymore... I havent seen no results yet i still havent dosaged up yet though planning in the next days..

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Viking said he noticed a difference in two weeks. His dosage was 2000mg a day.

24. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      I feel like my H is too far worse that keppra will work my T keeps changing in volume these couple of days that passed i think it needs to be stable to take effect.. And im almost out i need my mom to go to the border and get some more...

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Make sure she gets more this time.

26. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Hopefully this weekend i cant dosage up or ill loose days barely have enough..and it was my friend that got it for me while he was there

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's always a supply issue...

28. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      U started off at 2000 off the bat? Like viking

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm on 4000mg now. I plan to kill this forever. Not going over 4000mg though...

• Creative Creative x 1
    30. Geo

Geo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Damn is that even safe man... Arent u dosing off soon like viking did..