Link Between Adult ADHD and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Sound Wave, Nov 6, 2014.

?

Do you have trouble focusing on tasks?

1. Yes

40 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
    1. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      This is a great article about the rise of ADHD by New York Times. It says for example:

"The adults with A.D.H.D. had significantly fewer D2 and D3 receptors (two specific subtypes of dopamine receptors) in their reward circuits than did healthy controls"

...and interestingly, these two D2 and D3 receptors are also associated with tinnitus. See for example this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21433025

I know I have challenges in focusing and attention. I don't know if this is ADHD or not, but my T started around times when I registered I had harder times focusing on tasks. These neurological findings seem to support a potential link. Any other potential / diagnosed ADHD T-suffererers here?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/0...phone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=2&referrer

• Like Like x 1
    2. In my book i had you as a super focused guy Sound:nailbiting:. I have harder to focus on things post T but not before.

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I wish! :) It's true that T makes focusing even harder. I will start mindfulness to train my 'attention muscle'. For just some reason I am procastinating this as well... :)

4. Brian Lessard

Brian Lessard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown but possibly linked with adult ADD:dopamine deficien
      I'm just turning 65 and have had problems with ADD most of my life but never made the link of inattentiveness and impulsive behaviour etc. with a mental or medical condition. I have also had bouts of Tinnitus for the last 30 years but never realized it as a serious medical issue and attempted to treat it with 'ear funneling' and various other alternative treatments with little success....but the Tinnitus would come and go so I managed. However I now seem to be getting significantly worse both with the ADD and the Tinnitus. Never made the connection between the two until I saw this Ted talk so I'm thinking that if I solve one I may end up solving both issues. Currently looking for a doctor that has some insight but I think that may be a problem. My current GP thinks there may be a blockage within my ear/nasal canal and I would hate to have to correct him. Interestingly enough a friend invited me to smoke Cannabis and I immediately calmed, Tinnitus seem to go away and my focus became really distinct which was nice but that only lasted for a couple of hours. I don't really want to be high to be functional (particularly because I like to travel and it's virtually impossible to smoke or ingest and travel nor do I want to risk driving anywhere) so I'm just really hoping to get this solved naturally or pharmaceutically. Is there anyone out there that has similar experience and if so perhaps recommendations or links to articles that might explain this to my doctor?

• Like Like x 1
    5. canyonero

canyonero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      I have ADHD and T in only one ear that didn't develop until I was in my 30s. I doubt there's a link, but T does make it harder to fucus.

6. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Interesting! I have ADHD but believe the onset is more related to noise damage (no hearing loss).

In regards to your linked study, I'm also trialling pramipexole.

7. BrokenEar

BrokenEar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If you have enough data you are able to create links between almost everything. So I'm very careful. Maybe there is a link. But having T just because of noise damage is much more likely.

• Like Like x 1
    8. SysOperator

SysOperator Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Adverse reaction to script
      I wake up, and after about 30 minutes after I take my medication and sip . sometimes forget about my coffee even being next to me. like now. my T dulls, and I'm pretty much able to hear pin drops and focus on my batman skills of unassisted echo location.

basicly. if I take my drugs and wake up, the inital noticable T dulls out and I'm fine for the day.

if I listen for it. I can currently hear my monitor failing as one of the capacitors inside starts to squeal slightly.

adhd response. time to consider if I should replace it, or fix it.

distraction ensues.

HI everyone, I have adhd.

9. Dirtworks

Dirtworks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly loud power tools
      57 years old and looking back I’ve always thought I had ADHD. Practitioner just prescribed me Apo-Amphetamine 10mg a day. I also have tinnitus which started about 4-5 months ago in both ears. It has gotten very loud on a couple of occasions and almost silent on a couple others. I started taking CBD oil as well a couple weeks ago.

I’ve been very anxious and stressed since about the start of COVID-19 and it does seem to have taken a bit of the edge off. The possibility of a link between ADHD and tinnitus just crossed my mind so I did a search and ended up here.

The statement regarding D2, D3 receptor commonality is interesting but that was made back in 2017. Any updates? Sure would be nice to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

• Like Like x 1