Magnesium for Relief of Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by calin, Jan 18, 2012.

1. calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Daily pill that can stop the ringing in your ears

A mineral found in spinach and other green leafy vegetables is being used to treat people with chronic tinnitus — characterised by an inexplicable ringing or buzzing in the ears.
      Researchers believe the mineral magnesium plays a key role in protecting our hearing system and that supplements taken daily will reduce tinnitus.
      This condition is believed to permanently affect one in ten adults, with one in three people experiencing it at some point in their life.
      The clinical trial of 40 patients, at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona, America, is due to start this month.

Tinnitus can affect one or both ears and there is no cure. The condition is linked to problems with hair cells in the inner ear. These cells vibrate in response to sound waves and these vibrations are translated into electrical signals which are sent to the brain via nerves.
      When these cells become weakened or damaged — through infection or over-exposure to loud noise, for instance — they send a constant stream of abnormal signals along the nerves. The brain interprets these signals as sounds of ringing, humming or buzzing. Damage to these hair cells also causes deafness.
      Magnesium is needed to help maintain normal nerve function in the body and good sources include green leafy vegetables, bread and dairy products.

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Magnesium is a very promising new treatment for noise-induced hearing loss [13, 14], which often causes tinnitus, but in such cases therapy must start within a few hours of the noise trauma to be effective.

( http://randombio.com/tinnitus.html )

Anecdotal, but I've used magnesium before & after I got tinnitus. Don't know if mine would be worse if I hadn't been on it.

That link I put above is great either way, there's lots of information on tinnitus that I found fascinating when I first was hit with this.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Being the guinea pig that I am, I have decided to add more magnesium to my supplements regime. I am going to get the magnesium oil and or the magnesium citrate powder from Swansons. I'll just dump it in with my Lifesource supersprouts drink and see how it goes!

One instruction was to keep adding magnesium (in the evening dose) until you get runny stools (the next morning) then decrease - that is one's magnesium requirement dosage. I already take calcium and magnesium combo, so this will be on top of that I think. Or I could just rub the magnesium oil on my skin for better absorption.

I do have the signs of deficiency at times so this will only make me better!

I know some of us are taking magnesium..... Want to share?

I'll post a video on it....

Signs and Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency

Signs and Symptoms of Magnesium Deficiency

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Phase 2 study examining magnesium-dependent tinnitus

Background:
      Recent studies in noise-induced and idiopathic sensorineural hearing loss have suggested that magnesium supplementation may lessen both hearing loss and the severity of tinnitus in patients. Further epidemiological evidence indicates that all age groups of Americans fall short of the recommended daily allowance for magnesium by 100 mg daily.

Purpose:
      The purpose of this study was to examine any potential benefit in lessening the severity of tinnitus in patients taking supplemental magnesium.

Research Design:
      The study was a single-arm, open-label, before-and-after study of oral magnesium (532 mg per day) in 26 patients for 3 months. Tinnitus severity was evaluated and recorded daily by the patient using the Tinnitus Distress Rating (TDR) scale of 0 (no tinnitus) to 10 (worst possible tinnitus). The Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI) was administered before and at the end of the study, and scores were converted to the grades of the 5-item Tinnitus Severity Scale (TSS). The purpose of this phase 2 study was to investigate whether the treatment was effective at all, and, as such, a placebo control was not performed. All data were collected at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, between March 6 and December 10, 2008.

Study Sample:
      Patients with moderate to very severe tinnitus (TDR score of 3 through 8).

Intervention:
      Daily magnesium supplementation, 532 mg; patient completion of the THI; and daily self-report of TDR.

Data Collection and Analysis:
      The main outcome measures were mean TDR scale scores and THI scores as converted to TSS grades. The primary analysis was done on the basis of intention to treat.

Results:
      Twenty-six patients were enrolled; 19 completed the study. The extent of handicap, as measured by THI/TSS, for subjects with slight or greater impairment was significantly decreased (P=.03). Patients who ranked slight or greater on the THI/TSS before intervention showed a significant decrease in the severity of their tinnitus at post-testing (P=.008).

Conclusion:
      The results suggest that magnesium may have a beneficial effect on perception of tinnitus-related handicap when scored with the THI.

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Interesting Calin, I have been taking Magnesium supplements for months even before my T set in in April 2012 and it has not really made a diff. I wonder what kind of magnesium supplements they used since there are so many.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      That had me thinking too erik! I looked up the different types. I also took and still do take magnesium supplements.

I had a sample spray bottle of Ancient Minerals that was given to me as a free sample last year. I didn't know what to do with it, so it just got put aside. When I started reading up on this magnesium oil for the skin, I remembered that I had this stuff. So, I sprayed away on my skin for a day and a half. This morning when I woke up the tinnitus sound was lower than ever. It is maintaining that level now for a few hours.

I can't say it is the magnesium oil spray as I am going through detox as well and it has knocked me off my butt! lol. I have developed major flu symptoms.... I never get the flu.

I ordered 3 8oz bottles of Swanson's brand magnesium oil and will soak my skin with it and see if it helps. It can only make me healthier! This magnesium is magnesium chloride. I am taking a mix of magnesium with my calcium/magnesium supplements. Previously, I also took magnesium oxide caps.

I watched enough YT videos to understand that the magnesium can be absorbed better through the skin. So, I am good with that.

This may be helpful for vascular tinnitus based on how magnesium works in the body.... worth a try.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Erik and Calin,

I used to take Natural Calm magnesium powder (magnesium citrate), but recently changed over to ALTA Health Products magnesium chloride tablets. I was only taking one tablet at night (520 mg), until my chiro suggested I wasn't taking enough.

So, these past few days, I've upped my dose to two to three tablets of the magnesium chloride (taken before bedtime), and I believe it has made a difference in my tinnitus and, in my case, the nervousness/shakiness/restless legs that have accompanied my pulsating tinnitus.

Magnesium chloride is a highly-absorbable form of magnesium, so it's at least worth a try. And, the magnesium oil that Calin is using may be absorbed even faster! Reviews online say that Swanson's is a good brand to try; both of these products are worth checking out!

8. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Karen, do you and Calin have pulsatile tinnitus?

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, we both do. I've had mine since 2010, as a result of taking blood pressure medicine. Have had MRI/MRA, CT scan, carotid artery scan. Nothing unusual found. Still looking for something to calm it down. I do have an underactive thyroid, and that could have something to do with it. No answers found, as yet!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      How much does your chiro say to take?

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He thought I could take up to 3 tablets; that would be 1,560 mg. of magnesium. How much magnesium are you taking of the spray-on type?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      The Ancient Minerals spray is a 2 oz sample bottle which doesn't really say. The mg may be on the ones I ordered from Swansons. YT videos also seem to hint at how much to take.

I have to say guys that my T is barely noticeable - going on a couple days now. I just keep spraying! I spray in on my feet and wear socks with my shoes for all day exposure too. Oh... another nice benefit is my urine levels are showing a consistent alkaline pH. I am a bit OCD about taking the urine readings - like whenever I pee! haha!!!

I like the combo of the magnesium oil and the systemic enzymes. The magnesium will flush out the toxins that the enzymes rid the tissues and organs of. I understand it helps with hypertension. I tend to agree.

I am taking the cal-mag combo and am getting powered magnesium citrate and the magnesium oil soon. I will take the citrate and add it to my super greens drink.. and us the spray. I can adjust accordingly if needed based on my elimination (stools).

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calin --- That's great! Sounds like it is really working for you. Please tell me that, when you say the tinnitus is barely noticeable, you also mean the pulsating!! Has this helped your vascular tinnitus as well?

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Karen... I usually only have pulsing T.

Low meaning I barely hear it with normal room noises unless I focus intently on it and maybe cover my ears. I will see if it holds. Woke up though with it that way! Didn't even notice it until after being up an hour or so.

Miraculous Magnesium

Dr. Carolyn Dean (Magnesium) on The...

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calin --- That is really great! Hope it continues to be softer.

Thanks for these great YT videos on magnesium. Sounds like this is something we can all use!

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I think it is better to try to be healthier with natural treatments. We sure aren't getting anywhere with medications for T!

Evidently the research studies indicate it lowers the T volume. We all want that!

Yep! magnesium is something we all can take - even for T.

Magnesium: The most powerful relaxation...

I found more information on this forum - http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=2354.30

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      Calin
      thanx for all your hard work putting this magnesium thread together

i just re read it and watched the first video

all fascinating stuff especially how mag affects N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors on the auditory nerve fibers and how so many people are magnesium deficient

best wishes
      mt

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Thanks!

Yes, I saw that too!

I am doing the magnesium oil two times a day. I found that if I rubbed it on my lower back before bed, I don't wake up with a backache! Cool stuff!

Oh, and I added iodine to my supplements too. I am working up to 8-12.5 mgs a day. Slow process though to build up. I do feel better taking it. I tried the regular iodine /iodide but I don't think it agreed with me. Of course I took too much the first time... oppsie! haha

I like the Nascent Iodine product.

20. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I think magnesium helps my T. I take Magnesium Swanson Albion Chelated Magnesium Glycinate. The Albion formula helps with maximum absorption with or without food. Most magnesium is otherwise best absorbed on an empty stomach. Do not take Magnesium Oxide which is most commonly found. It was a very low absorbion rate. I was doing a liquid Magnesium Citrate/Calcium combo but I read, calcium and Magnesium should not be taken together.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Thanks for sharing that with us.

I have only seen recommendations suggesting that calcium should be taken with Vit D and magnesium. Do you supporting resources that makes that claim. Would like to see it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    22. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hi Calin, I guess there is some debate on this. From my own experience, I found I seem to be getting better results taking Magnesium by itself on empty stomach. However, I am not sure because I switched to a different type of magnesium or if it was because I stopped the combo (mag/cal/vit d). I have been sleeping better and my T has been lower over all since the switch about week or so ago but that is just my own experience.

There are those sites that say they should be taken together or ratio of 2:1 and others that say don't. I guess it is up to each of us to determine what works best.

Here are some sources against or somewhat against:

Livestrong Calcium/Mag
      Calcium and magnesium exist in body fluids as positively charged chemicals called cations. Because it is so similar to calcium chemically, magnesium may increase the amounts of calcium eliminated by the kidneys. Calcium and magnesium also compete with each other for absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. Magnesium supplements may have a laxative effect that forces calcium out of the body before it can be completely absorbed.

Calcium and Magnesium aren't always the best of friends

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I forgot to add that I wanted to also get away from Calcium supplementation altogether because of recent links to increased heart attack risks if you are getting too much calcium in your diet and because I believe I get enough from my regular diet without supplementation.

Calcium Supplements May Increase Heart Attack Risk

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      532mg! It sounds like a huge dose. I think recommended daily dose of magnesium is 350 mg or so.

But I'm really looking forward to the results! Magnesium is available over the counter, we could probably try that therapy ourselves ;)

Thank you Erik!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      ok = thanks Erik!

27. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My ENT tried to get me into that study in Arizona, but it was full. I have tried magnesium over the last five years and it is one of the things that does help. My problem is the loose bowels. I would use it daily if it didn't give me diarrhea! Does anyone know if magnesium chloride is better for this. I have tried the glycinate form and Calm. I want to learn more about the oil. I do notice that if I take it at night, the next day my T is better. I have also found that adding zinc helps too. I use Jarrow Formula zinc because it is a low dose 15mg, and it also adds the copper in the right ratio so you don't deplete other nutrients. I am very interested in what others have used and found out about this mineral. I suffer from leg cramps at night, and know that coffee and alcohol are contributing, but I need these things to make the T bearable. I'm wondering if I used a combination calcium, magnesium and D supplement if that would be better? Anyone out there have any tips?

28. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Hulagirl,
      I am currently taking magnesium chloride tablets, and much prefer them to the other forms of magnesium. The brand I am taking is from Alta Health Products. It contains 520 mg. of magnesium chloride per tablet, and I take two tablets per day (at night, about an hour before bedtime). For me, at least, the magnesium chloride does not produce the loose stools that the other forms do.

I also have Life-Flo brand pure magnesium oil (magnesium chloride brine). It is supposed to be better for absorption than the tablets, but there are some problems with it: (1) It is oily, and takes a very long time to sink into the skin, if it ever really does; (2) it is irritating to the skin, and stings a bit when you first spray it on. Because of that, I haven't been using it as much as I thought I would. However, I believe it really does absorb into the body a lot quicker than the tablets.

Haven't tried the zinc, but the Jarrow formula you use sounds good, since it also adds copper. I'm also taking Vitamin D3, and I get calcium in my Emergen-C drink that I take twice daily. You'll think this is crazy, but the only thing I've found to help my restless legs syndrome (which may not be the same as your leg cramps) is 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a glass of water. I don't take it all the time --- only when needed.

All of the above seem to help me keep my tinnitus down to a non-roar!!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      The life-Flo or other brands that come from the ancient Zechstein Sea is good stuff! No loose stools.

Karen, try mixing a bit of aloe vera gel with the magnesium oil. I leave it on all day and again at night. you can rub it on your feet and it shouldn't be so bothersome.

30. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Of all the supplements I have taken and still take, I put Magnesium at the top. Not sure it helps my T but it helps with many other things. It helps your body in over 2000 functions, it helps regulate your mood, helps you sleep, I think it helps my T and most importantly helps to prevent noised induced hearing loss or further hearing damage. It is good to take before and after noise exposure. If I know I am going to be in a noisy place, I take some before and after along with Vitamins A, C and E. In past 2 months I have been to clubs, cruises, concerts etc and although I make sure to use ear plugs, I also always make sure to supplement Magnesium and the vitamins above.

Many Studies that show Magnesium helps to protect hearing:

Israeli army magnesium study

Oral magnesium intake reduces permanent hearing loss induced by noise exposure

University of Michigan Study

Mitigating damage to hearing