Magnesium for Relief of Tinnitus Research

Discussion in 'Research News' started by calin, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Golly,

Let us know how it works for you. Fingers crossed that it will have a positive, calming effect on your tinnitus!

2. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Thanks Karen. I keep a detailed daily log, so I expect I'll be able to detect any trends/effects, even if they are small. -G

3. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      Hi all I have started to take magnesium this afternoon i have bought the oil and some capsules which are 100mg. Im thinking of taking two capsules daily and using the oild twice daily in the morning and before bedtime. the links below are what i have bought, I hope this has some sort of effect on my T. The second link is 50mg over what I bought as they dont seem to sell the 100mg capsules on the net.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=2035&prodid=2258&cid=143
      http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=450&prodid=509&cid=143

4. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
    5. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004

Hi Sven,

Have you had any joy with taking the magnesium you are taking? I have only just started taking the mag oil and mag capsules the other day no change yet but I guess it could take a while to start taking affect as they say that if it tingles little bit when applied to the skin it means you a deficient in magnesium.

Hope you have had some good results

6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi!
      I've been busy moving and packed my pills somewhere I couldn't find them and I haven't been taking them regularily, not even since after I found them. I doubt they had any effect, but it seems my worsened T has improved (at least my ability to handle it) . I do, however, think that's because I've calmed down and not because of the magnesium.

I'm sure I eat to little magnesium anyway, so I'll keep taking them when I remember to. Good luck to you!

7. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004

Hi Erik

I have been taking the magnesium oil for over a week now and they say that if you are deficient that where the oil is applied it will cause a tingling sensation for a while until you have built up a sustained amount in your body. Is this true? As I still have the tingling sensation and that is after a week of using the oil and taking two 100mg magnesium tablets daily.

Also what type of magnesium capsules are the best to use as the ones that i am taking have alot of other chemicals in the tablets... im not sure why. I have read that taking Magnesium Aspertate is the best form of magnesium to take for tinnitus. Just wondered if you could shed any light on this for me?

Thanks

8. mat

mat Member

hi matthew, why is Magnesium aspartate better then mg citrate for tinnitus? where did you read it. i thought citrate and asp. are same..

9. matthew heafield
      Dancing

matthew heafield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2004
      i
      hi I read it on the internet somewhere about a trail that was using magnesium aspartate. I thought it was different to the mag citrate as i have just ordered a bottle of the stuff. here is a link that gives a little information on the different types of magnesium:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_magnesium_and_magnesium_citrate

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      • Like Like x 1
    11. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      im trying the magnesium chloride for the first time today, i pray it work s with bringing the sound down on my T , i had it for 3 months now, having hard time staying asleep any one got sleep ideas???

• Like Like x 1
    12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Christine,

I hope the magnesium chloride works for you. I've been taking magnesium chloride for about a year now, and I believe it really does help. Don't be concerned if you don't notice any change right away; it takes time for the magnesium to work. It may be several weeks before you notice a difference.

Are you taking anything for sleep? A number of people on this forum have used drugs, such as Remeron, for sleep. I tried using Ambien when my severe tinnitus first started, but decided not to keep taking it. For me, the magnesium is soothing, and it may help you with sleep. I also use a natural supplement that contains melatonin, valerian root, vitamins, etc., about an hour before bedtime.

You might try using masking sounds, if you are not already doing so. Water sounds seem to work well for many of us.

I wish you well, and hope some of these suggestions will work for you.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Karen I don't know if I mentioned before, but I'm now taking camomile tea to sleep as I ran out of my Chinese herbal pills.

14. Jeweleeanne

Jeweleeanne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      I take a calcium/magnesium supplement before bed. (like the kind from the drug store) Will this type help at all or does it need to have another compound involved?

15. heartbroken

heartbroken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      march 2013
      has anyone ever tried tart cherry juice FROM CONCENTRATE? I saw it on Dr Oz and as you will all understand, I am willing to try anything that may help with sleep. Since it seems my pineal gland don't seem to be releasing the natural melatonin it should, I thought I'd try this juice which is supposed to have melatonin and help with sleep.. I have also stopped having caffeine tea and instead just before I go to bed I have a cup of sleepytime extra by Celestial Seasoning.

16. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sherri786,
      I'm glad you're taking the chamomile tea. Chamomile is said to have calming properties, and also may help your tinnitus. I hope it is working well for you!

@Jeweleeanne,
      The magnesium/calcium supplement should help, but it depends on how many milligrams of magnesium the pills contain. What time of day do you take this supplement, and has it helped you in any way with calmness? I take my magnesium chloride tablets at night, about an hour before bedtime. Did you know that there is also a magnesium chloride spray you can buy? You can spray it on pressure points of the body; it is supposed to be more quickly absorbed than pills. I have some of the spray, and use it occasionally, as a supplement to my pills.

@heartbroken,
      I have used tart cherry juice before, in bottled form, and it does seem to have a calming effect. I wasn't using it for sleep; I was using it for arthritic aches in legs, and I believe it did help. The Sleepytime Tea is a good idea, and so is the tart cherry juice, if taken not long before bedtime. I hope some of these remedies will work for you! I know how it is; I am still having problems with sleep, too, although not as much as in the beginning of my tinnitus.

Best wishes to all,
      Karen

• Like Like x 1
    17. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Does it matter when during the day one ingests the Magnesium? I have been taking 500mg every morning for a month and have not noticed any difference one way or the other. Perhaps I should take it at night. -G

18. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I would take in the morning and at night. I don't have scientific data to cite right now, but I remember reading somewhere that taking Mg two, three times a day helps with the absorption and maintaining even levels throughout the day.

Which form of magnesium are you taking, by the way?

It's good to remember that some forms of Mg aren't absorbed very well (e.g. Magnesium Oxide is not very good). But this has been discussed earlier in this thread, yeah.

19. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I am pretty sure that I am taking Magnesium Oxide (it's GNC brand). Perhaps I'll switch to a form that is better absorbed and take it twice daily. Thanks for the advice, Markku!

-Golly

20. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Bioavailability of US commercial magnesium preparations.

Results indicated relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide (fractional absorption 4 per cent) but significantly higher and equivalent bioavailability of magnesium chloride, magnesium lactate and magnesium aspartate.

No problem. Glad to help.

21. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I researched this ,I take 600mg of chelated.Before bed.Im actually taking it to try and stop Bruxism.Taken for a month no T change

22. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      If I eat a LOT of pasta, I guess the chances of magnesium deficiency are low? I've always eaten a lot og pasta.

23. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      This month's issue of Costco Magazine had a good article about the benefits of magnesium and how it is critical to your nervous system and parasympathetic nervous systems which both have some links to T. Could be the most important mineral 80% of people are deficient in. The article is here: http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201309?pg=52#pg52

• Like Like x 1
    24. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hello Karen , sorry I saw your above post today ! Thank you Karen for the magnesium
      Suggestion, I sleep well and T has been calmer.

25. mat

mat Member

so do you think this new magniesume theorate is so good? better than citrate?

26. erik
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I am not sure which is better. Consumer Labs says Citrate is the best for absorbion but there are other factors such as when you take it and with what you take it with. Some you have to take on empty stomach and/or with calcium for best absorbion. Other types like chelated Albion you can take any time with or without food.

27. mat

mat Member

i take tri magnesium dicirate. its like citrate but more % magnesium on it. so when do i have to take it? empty stomach before bed or how

28. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

I've read on here about people taking various supplements including magnesium.
      My question to those who take magnesium- which brand & type do you take ( oxide, carbonate, citrate )
      and how much?

thank you :)

29. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, AJG,

I take magnesium chloride, which is more easily absorbed. The amount I take is 1,020 mg. per day, and I take it in the evening, about 1 hour before bedtime. It is calming and helps me relax.

30. ajg
      Insomnious

ajg Member

Does it give you loose bowels the next morning?