Moringa! It's a Tree!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Sep 7, 2012.

1. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    woo-hoo!!!!

Which did you get? The one with just the leaves or the one with the leaves and seeds and fruits?
  2. Karen
    Sunshine

Karen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    05/2010
    It's the Swanson brand, Full Spectrum, with just the leaves.

Calin, are you taking these now? What kind of results have you had?

Erik, are you taking two per day? Please let us know if/when you notice any changes or results.
  3. erik
    Surfing

erik Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    04/15/2012
    I have the one with all three. I took one pill yesterday evening and one this morning. Not sure how many to really take. The dosage says 1 pill day on my bottle.
  4. Karen
    Sunshine

Karen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    05/2010
    Mine says two per day. I've been taking one in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I'm also still taking the systemic enzymes, so I have to take those in between meals. I take between 6 - 8 systemic enzyme capsules per day.
  5. Fish
    Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    July 2012
    Hello, what you wrote is promising I would like to try moringa too. I cannot order it from swanson because it would take long and cost much for shipment. I cannot find it on ebay.co.uk either. Any idea where to obtain moringa supplements in EU?

EDIT: one store in my country sells "moringa oleifera" in powder form:

[​IMG]
    Do you think it's the same thing?
  6. Karen
    Sunshine

Karen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    05/2010
    Fish -- I'm no expert, but the powder form does seem like it would have the same effect.

And I found this link (in German) to a website in Europe. Are you able to read German?
    http://www.moringa-europe.com/

I don't know how much of the powder form you would need to take per dose, but there may be instructions on the bag. Hope you are able to obtain it in some form. It's worth a try!
  7. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    I bought both types from Swanson, but I am just taking the leaves (2 per day) right now. I have read that it may take a week or two to see results of some kind. that makes sense though. I do feel calmer. I sleep pretty good.
  8. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    http://shop.moringagarden.eu/shop.php
    http://www.moringatree.eu/
    I just googled and that is what I found. sorry....
  9. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    Part 1:

Acknowledgements
    I thank Dr. Mark Olson for his encouragement and collaboration early in my research involvement with Moringa (joint publications are still pending). I gratefully acknowledge the Lewis B. and Dorothy Cullman Foundation for providing unrestricted research funds that facilitated preparation of this review and work on Moringa in my laboratory; funding was also provided by the American Institute for Cancer Research and the NCI (Grant # R01 CA93780).

Table 1. Reported nutritional, therapeutic & prophylactic uses of Moringa oleifera

Traditional Use
    Condition/Effecta

Plant Partb
    Referencesc
    ANT Antimicrobial / Biocidal
    LFSPRBGO
    8, 13, 19, 24, 27, 31, 34, 64, 68, 100, 104, 114, 115, 126, 140, 151, 160, 161, 162

Bacterial
    LFS
    25, 26, 55, 63, 77-81, 149
    Urinary Tract Infection
    L
    Typhoid
    G
    Infection
    LF
    Syphilis
    G
    Dental Caries/Toothache
    RBG

Fungal/ Mycoses
    O
    Thrush
    88, 111

Viral
    Common cold
    FRB
    Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV)
    L
    Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV-1)
    L
    HIV-AIDS
    L
    1, 124
    Warts
    S

Parasites
    Dranunculiasis (guinea-worm)
    Helminths
    LFP
    Schistosomes
    S
    Trypanosomes
    LR

Other / Not Attributed to a Specific Pathogen
    Skin (Dermal)
    O S
    Hepatic
    L
    Fever
    LRGS
    Earache
    G
    External Sores/Ulcers
    LFRB
    Bronchitis
    L
    Throat Infection
    F
    Water treatment (general)
    S
    11, 50, 75, 86, 169

AST Asthma
    RG

CAN Cancer Therapy / Protection
    LFPBS
    12, 17, 28, 39, 45, 59, 61, 64, 104, 115
    Anti-tumor
    LFSB
    45, 48, 57, 61, 87
    Prostate
    L
    47, 48
    Radioprotective
    L
    Skin
    P

CIR Circulatory/Endocrine Disorders
    LFSPR
    56, 93
    Anti-anemic
    L
    47, 125
    Anti-hypertensive
    LP
    40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 53, 83, 137
    Cardiotonic
    R
    Diabetes/hypoglycemia
    LP
    6, 45, 71, 87, 101, 167
    Diuretic
    LFRG
    6, 14, 62
    Hypocholestemia
    L
    52, 94
    Thyroid
    L
    Tonic
    F
    Hepatorenal
    LR
    93, 120

DET Detoxification
    BO
    76, 135, 166
    Antipyretic
    Purgative
    O
    Snakebite
    B
    Scorpion-bite
    B
  10. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    Part 2

DIG Digestive Disorders
    LSRBG
    For TRTMNT of:
    Colitis
    LB
    Diarrhea
    LR
    47, 62, 64
    Digestif
    B
    Dysentery
    LG
    Flatulence
    R
    Ulcer / Gastritis
    LS
    3, 115, 136

INF Inflammation
    LFSPRG
    14, 28, 35, 45, 62, 64, 68, 110, 131, 160, 161
    Rheumatism
    LFSPRG
    Joint Pain
    P
    Edema
    R
    Arthritis
    S

IMM Immunity
    SO
    Immune-stimulant
    S
    Lupus
    O

NER Nervous Disorders
    LFRBGO
    58, 59, 62, 96
    Anti-spasmodic
    SR
    14, 53
    Epilepsy
    RB
    Hysteria
    FRBO
    Headache
    LRBG

NUT Nuritional
    LSBO
    6, 7, 18, 22, 28, 30, 31, 32, 46, 47, 48, 51, 65, 66, 67, 70, 92, 102, 112, 116, 133, 163

Antinutritional factors
    B
    88, 89, 90, 110, 127, 128, 139, 156, 164, 165
    Antioxidant
    LO
    110, 147
    Carotenoids
    L
    29, 105, 152
    Energy
    LSO
    Goitrogen
    S
    Iron deficiency
    LS
    Oil quality
    O
    5, 98, 110, 158, 159
    Protein
    LS
    Vitamin/Mineral deficiency
    LS
    7, 9, 54, 56, 85, 119

REP Reproductive Health
    LFPRBGO
    44, 53, 64, 121, 122
    Abortifacient
    FRBG
    106, 107, 155
    Aphrodisiac
    RB
    Birth Control
    B
    45, 53, 142-146
    Lactation Enhancer
    L
    Prostate function
    O

SKI Skin Disorders
    LRSG
    160, 161
    Antiseptic
    L
    Astringent
    R
    Pyodermia
    S
    Rubefacient
    RG
    Vesicant
  11. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
  12. erik
    Surfing

Tinnitus Since:
    04/15/2012
    Only been a couple days for me. I am taking the one with all three and I have had 2 very low days in a row but still early to tell and could just be my regular T cycle....
  13. Karen
    Sunshine

Karen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    05/2010
    Erik --- That's a good sign! I've been having some low T days lately (relatively speaking), too. I really think the Moringa may be what's doing this; I can't think of anything else I'm doing that's different.

Please do keep us posted on your progress!
  14. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    Hi guys!

Thanks for the feedback on the lower volume.

I hate to give my observations as I have plenty of "low or no T" hours and days.

I did not take all my other supplements as of yesterday. .... Just the Moringa (leaves, fruit and seeds). Got to say... the T is keeping really low. I am also drinking rooibus tea all day long.

The other supplements were things that we are told will help the T. Well, have to say.... they didn't!!!! ;) Boy, I have spent so much money on T stuff. Some things I am good with like the EMF protection and the shower head. but these supplements can be tiresome and expensive.

I don't know if I will start taking a couple or two again in a day or so.... taking it day by day.
  15. Karen
    Sunshine

Karen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    05/2010
    Calin -- That's good news about you, too. I'm glad your T is staying so low!

And, I feel your pain about the supplements; the same thing is true for me. I've been taking all these supplements that are supposed to help my T, plus my blood pressure, plus my adrenals. I'm getting really tired of taking all these and want to simplify!

I've only been drinking the rooibois tea once a day, so I'm pretty sure the Moringa is what's working for me. The systemic enzymes have helped, too. I'm now taking a different brand --- MediZym --- and am taking 6 per day of those.

Will continue to post how things are going with the Moringa. Thanks for letting us know about this!!!
  16. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    I stopped the systemic enzymes a while ago. Glad they seem to be helpful for you.

I'm thinking that with all the nutrients in the moringa, one shouldn't have to take supplements. And, the moringa is bio-available.

Karen, your welcome.. I do like to share!
  17. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    Since moringa is basically a food source, I have been trying to find the dosage for capsules.

I found the following from this site: http://www.ilovemoringa.com/How-To-Eat-Moringa-Leaf-Powder.html

Moringa leaf powder can be added to just about anything you eat. It is extremely versatile, but just remember - it is a FOOD, not a MEDICINE! Consequently, we cannot offer a "recommended" dosage.

However, we can tell you, that it takes roughly seven pounds of fresh Moringa leaves, to make one pound of Moringa leaf powder. 7 lbs. fresh = 1 lb. ground and dried. Most people we have spoken with, customers or acquaintances, use between 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon daily. Some people use a lot more than that. Your body is your best indicator, and since dried Moringa leaves make a very "potent" powder, we recommend that you go s-l-o-w-l-y. Start out with a small amount, and increase it daily.

Seven pounds of freshly harvested Moringa leaves when dried, yield about one pound of Moringa leaf powder
    Any easy way of looking at it, is:1 tablespoon equals about 7 tablespoons of the fresh leaves.

Someone on a forum makes his own capsules from the powder in bags. He takes 10 caps a day. This is what he said.....

"10 tabs at 500 mg each is 5000 mg which equals about 1 teaspoon. Personally, I'm getting about 2.5 tsp in 20 caps. Way below a Tablespoon so no. Less than recommended which is 1-2 TBL."
  18. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    Still looking for recommended dosage and RDAs... found this....

http://www.moringa4healing.com/Moringa_Health_benefits.htm
    If you don't have time to make a Moringa shake, buy the Moringa powder is capsule form and take three in the morning and afternoon to give you a boost. Moringa contains no caffeine naturally so the energy you receive from taking it, is because of the vitamins and minerals the leaves contain. Moringa tea, either cold or hot can really make a difference in your day.
  19. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    http://www.moringa4healing.com/Moringa_super_nutrition.htm

The Swansons brands are 400mg. This chart is in grams.

Moringa contains 18 of the 20 amino acids required by the human body including all eight of the essential amino acids. It is one of only a few plants that contain all eight essential amino acids contained in meat products.

Amino Acid Content of Moringa Leaves*
    All values are per 100 grams of edible portion.
    Amino Acids
    Fresh Leaves

Dried Leaves

Arginine
    406.6 mg
    1,325 mg
    Histidine
    149.8 mg
    613 mg
    Isoleucine
    299.6 mg
    825 mg
    Leucine
    492.2 mg
    1,950 mg
    Lysine
    342.4 mg
    1,325 mg
    Methionine
    117.7 mg
    350 mg
    Phenylalinine
    310.3 mg
    1,388 mg
    Threonine
    117.7 mg
    1,188 mg
    Tryptophan
    107 mg
    425 mg
    Valine
    374.5 mg
    1,063 mg
  20. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    There are mg, g, and percentages on this chart, but not RDAs.

http://moringaleaves.blogspot.com/
    Moringa Nutritional Analysis
    · From the report on “Analysis of Leaf Powder for Nutritional Composition, July 17, 1998 by Campden and Chorleywood Food Research Association in conjunction with the Department of Engineering at the University of Leicester and Church World Service, affiliate of the National Council of Churches
    [​IMG]
  21. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
  22. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    The above indicates this:
    This incredible product can be taken with just 1 small teabag a day, giving you 1,500 milligrams of 100% Pure Moringa Leaves, up to 10 times more than seen with overpriced multivitamins products
  23. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    I am still puzzled about the 100 grams. Who would eat 100 grams per day? Am I seeing this incorrectly?
  24. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    I was thinking that moringa is not as high in vitamin C as supplements and here is what I found here: http://www.moringa4healing.com/Moringa_Oleifera_FAQ Page.htm

#6 Concentrated Nutrient Values in Dried Leaves:
    Nutritional values increase when the leaves are dried properly (Except for Vitamin C):
    9 times more Vitamin A than Carrots
    1/2 the Vitamin C of Oranges
    17 times the Calcium of Milk
    15 times the Potassium of Bananas
    25 times the Iron in Spinach
    9 times the Protein in Yogurt
    Moringa is a perfect food for vegetarians and those who cannot eat dairy products, because of the high protein, Calcium, and Iron the Moringa leaves contain.
    While the benefits vary in degree from person to person, our customers have reported improvement in digestion, vision, energy levels, mental clarity, and overall well being. They also use Moringa to support a healthy blood sugar level, as a nutritional support for diabetes, and as an overall health and wellness supplement.
  25. erik
    Surfing

Tinnitus Since:
    04/15/2012
    Calin,

I'm using the one with 167mg leaves, seeds and fruit extract. Bottle says one-a-day. Any idea on how we know what the nutritional content that you show above equates to in one of these pills? Is one enough or should a couple throughout the day be taken?
  26. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    I am going to now take my emergen-c multi vitamin + packets again today with moringa. I am gradually increasing the moringa capsules as suggested.
  27. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    Erik, I have posted above suggestions of three caps twice a da and on the powder. Scroll up and see if you can find them.

Since it is not regulated or considered a supplement yet, we will probably only see values from John Hopkins and other researchers as I have posted regarding nutritional values and the dosages. I am still researching this.

I think Swansons doesn't know themselves how much to take as moringa is not evaluated by the FDA for a supplement. Probably as a herb.

I am taking both kinds from Swansons.... gradually increasing the dosage.

My concern was with the Vit A. But now I see that there is no concern with the amounts in moringa. It is the Vit C that is low and I am used to taking more.... much more. So, back to my multiple vitamins Emergen-C

How is your T?
  28. erik
    Surfing

Tinnitus Since:
    04/15/2012
    My T has been pretty low past 3 days, very nice in fact.
  29. calin
    Balanced

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
    Oct 2011
    I am up to 8 capsules today. Didn't have the usually sleepy tendency mid day.
  30. erik
    Surfing

Tinnitus Since:
    04/15/2012
    Calin, Karen how's you T been while taking Moringa?