Moringa! It's a Tree!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Pat,
      I've been taking moringa oleifera for about 2 months now. I take two capsules per day (Swanson brand Full Spectrum). It has definitely helped me with sleep (I had been suffering from chronic insomnia for about 2 years, due to my pulsating tinnitus), and with energy level. I am not sure whether it is helping with my tinnitus, although my tinnitus has improved recently. I'm taking other supplements, too, including vitamins, magnesium, zinc, systemic enzymes, and a homeopathic remedy ("Ear Ringing Formula" by Newton Labs).

Moringa is potent and it really does seem to do what it is supposed to do. Whether it has helped my tinnitus, I cannot definitely say.

2. maccebu
      Sunshine

maccebu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014 6:20AM
      Moringa (malunggay, kamungay) is pretty abundant from where I live. The leaves can blend on any dish I eat and it doesn't alter the taste of the food. I took the capsules many months ago but eventually stopped after having some chest pressure or sensation on the 3rd pill. That was probably psychological as I have this fear of taking any meds after an awful experience with antibiotics. I'm starting to include the humble green leafy moringa back in my diet and looking forward to buy some moringa tea as well.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      ETHNOPHARMACOLOGICAL RELEVANCE:
      Moringa oleifera (family Moringaceae), commonly called Horseradish or tree of life, is traditionally used for the treatment of epilepsy and neurologic conditions.

AIM OF THE STUDY:
      The objective of this study is to investigate the neurobehavioural and anticonvulsant properties of the ethanol extract from the leaves of Moringa oleifera.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:
      Neurobehavioural properties were evaluated using the open field, hole board, Y-maze, elevated plus maze (EPM) and pentobarbitone-induced hypnosis. Pentylenetetrazole (leptazol), picrotoxin and strychnine induced convulsion tests were used to investigate the anti-convulsive actions of Moringa oleifera.

RESULTS:
      The result showed that the extract (250-2000mg/kg) caused a significant dose-dependent decrease in rearing, grooming, head dips and locomotion (P<0.001). It also enhanced learning and memory and increased anxiogenic effect. In addition, the extract (2000mg/kg) protected mice against pentylenetetrazol induced convulsion, but has no effect on picrotoxin and strychnine induced convulsion. The effects of the extract in the various models were comparable to those of the standard drugs used except in Y-maze, EPM and picrotoxin and strychnine induced convulsion. The LD50 obtained for the acute toxicity studied using oral route of administration was >6.4g/kg.

CONCLUSION:
      The findings from this study suggest that the ethanol extract of Moringa oleifera leaves possesses CNS depressant and anticonvulsant activities possibly mediated through the enhancement of central inhibitory mechanism involving release γ-amino butyric acid (GABA). The results partially justified the traditional use of the extract for the treatment of epilepsy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23933316

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Danny Boy,

That is really interesting! It could mean that moringa might have a calming effect on tinnitus.

I took moringa oliefera for several months about a year ago. It didn't cure my tinnitus, but I believe it did help take the edge off, and I remember it helped with sleep, too.

The reason I stopped taking it was that I felt I was taking too many other supplements at the same time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've got some Moringa powder- £8.99 for 500g not bad

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sevenhills-...48&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=moringa+powder&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Moringa-Leaf-Powder-Supplement/dp/B009KBG8X8

6. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How does this "ethanol extract from the leaves of Moringa oleifera" differ from the "normal" ethanol (commonly know as alcohol)?

7. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I've been using moringa liniment twice to thrice a day to help me with facial, neck and shoulder pain that radiated down from my inside my ears. I also apply it to my earlobes to get rid of the burning sensation.

It seriously helps, I swear. It's the reason why I looked it up here and revived this old thread. I have no idea how it can directly help with tinnitus and hyperacusis but it sure does ease some of the aches and pains associated with these horrid conditions.

• Like Like x 1