My Personal Story About Tinnitus Gone

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Ser, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Ser
      Inspired

Ser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      early 2014 - summer 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hello everyone here!

Just for the beginning, my T is gone but this post is NOT about any meds or books I'm trying to sell, it's just a non-profit story, so you can continue reading :) I remember I hated seeing all those stories of cured T that finished by buying books or some strange pills.

I have joined the forum in February this year (2014) when I got noise induced Tinnitus. It was such a hard period of life for me, FINALLY GONE. I have been thinking to visit the TT forum for weeks and I write my story, but I never remembered when using the laptop. I guess Tinnitus is really gone from my life, when I rarely think about it. :)

First of all let me introduce you to my T story. One cold February night I went clubbing with a friend. The noise was huge, but I didn't notice anything - it was a regular noise when you're in a club. Went back home - had extremely hard ringing in my ears plus I barely heard. I thought it would be gone when I wake up, but no! The menace stayed! I started freaking out, because my hearing was very bad - it couldn't hear the voices well - it was like voices of people were chipmunks. My god I was scared. I saw two doctors who gave me something to take, something like vitamins - just for the nerves. Docs are of no use in this case. Anyway, after a few days, my hearing came back to normal but the T was still there. I became very very depressed (even scared I won't be able to handle it for the rest of my life). The thing that terrified me was I'll never be able to live like I did before.
      Then, something inside was working its way out. I guess it was the wish of being happy. I started living like everything is okay, and guess what - everything was okay. Life became much better and all of my fears were gone, T was something I only heard when I went to bed.
      Things changed when some issues at the uni started - I started paying attention to Tinnitus and all the troubles I had - it blamed it on T. Then I realized, it's not ringing in my ears that's my problem, problem is something else. There must be something in your life that's not working, so try to source it and Tinnitus won't be a big problem.

Anyway, the months were passing by - new happenings, new journeys, new dates, new relationships, new experiences....everything was great and me having Tinnitus was just one of the millions of facts I stored in this big book called brain. Until one (summer) night I realized - I don't have Tinnitus anymore. It was a quiet moment (it was really late), I was lying in my bed and I didn't hear anything. It wasn't such a big relief, because Tinnitus didn't bother me anyway, but yes, it felt nice. What I'm trying to say is that I was so sure I had it, I didn't see it leaving. When did it exactly left I have no idea. :ROFL:

I am really grateful this was just a warning to appreciate my body and my senses more. It made me use more lemons, honey, eat more fruit, stop eating junk food etc. I guess that's the part of becoming mature, when you do the things that are better for you on a longer basis, instead of indulging in things that last for 15 minutes like eating fast food and drinking soda.

I really hope my message will be useful for someone and now I will write down simple facts and details what was my Tinnitus like and how I treated it.

T started: February 2014
      Ended: Summer 2014
      Duration: 6-7 months
      T type: at first high pitched ringing + temporal hearing loss,
      after: it was very static - just like when a TV is on (but those big old TVs that really made some noise),
      after that: just like the TV but very very quiet, barely noticeable
      Treating it with: earplugs! When it started I was wearing the earplugs, I didn't even open the windows or watched TV, I gave my ears some rest and time to recover. Now I wear earplugs when I'm on the bus (plus somethings when the streets are noisy - not because I'm afraid my T will be back, but simply to have my hearing when I'm 80 years old) :) better safe than sorry! :) Also wearing earplugs when in noisy restaurants.
      Farewell to: I stopped listening to music on headphones, I barely use them, just when I simply have to listen to a song I really love when I'm outside. But I never play it loud - it's at the very minimum and not for too long (not more than 15 minutes)..And the songs are really ''peaceful'', it's not death metal or something.:LOL: I also stopped clubbing, I don't visit noisy places (I never liked them anyway) and I don't play loud music. You can enjoy the music at normal-to-quiet volume. ;)

Okay, so that's it, I hope I haven't forgot to mention something. My point is, the T is not a big deal, just focus on the things that really matter. It will go away, so relax or if it never goes away, so what, so many people have it (I talked about T with my friends, some of them have T too and they were like - I have it for years, why are you making a drama out of nothing?? :LOL::LOL: - it really pulled me back to reality). People simply live with it, just like when they have to wear glasses, it's just a side fact, isn't it?! :)

• Like x 23
      • Winner x 15
      • Optimistic x 9
      • Agree x 4
      • Helpful x 3
      • Hug x 1
      • Funny x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Creative x 1
    2. Hengist
      Blah

Hengist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/7/2014
      I am happy that your tinnitus is gone but for some people, a 15% to be more specific, it just goes away on it's own which does not mean that it will not come back. For some people it goes than comes back, I know of a guy who had it for 3 weeks than it went away, than he went to train and during the exercise it came back. I know of an older woman who had it for years than it randomly went away for a period of more than a year than it randomly came back again. I also heard stories from people who had it their WHOLE life, and I mean WHOLE, who thought it was the sound of silence and then it increased out of no reported reason and they figure out that the sound is making them crazy.
      Your tinnitus was not a problem from you since it was obviously of a frequency and intensity which is something that someone can get used to, and it seems you got used to is pretty quickly. But for most members here the problem is the sound is constantly changing, it has multiple frequencies which change in which ear they are present, they have extreme sensitivity to unusual or high-frequency sounds, some have vertigo, some have ear pain etc. For most people tinnitus is something that is stable and pretty quiet but for those who are majority of members here, the sound is very problematic and is not quiet, mild or stable and is not something they have evolved to cope with. Especially those who have a predisposition for melancholy, depression, anxiety, who have bad concentration or are hyperactive or those with short temper or anti-social tendencies. People who cope the best are those who have neurotypical phlegmatic personalities which have mild temper and are generally not rebellious or overtly critical, but this generally applies only
      for tinnitus which is not too loud and is stable in nature.

Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to diminish your positive outcome, I am only saying that your story might not be over and that things like
      might get some people pretty pissed because their tinnitus is louder than a lawnmower and is causing other problems which are not only them "being afraid and making a big deal". You just got really really lucky, enjoy it and hope it lasts.

• Agree Agree x 13
      • Like Like x 2
    3. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      The part about the earplugs interest me the most. Most people recommend to just watch out and make sure you are not exposed to loud sounds but still hear all the sounds. So do we really need to over protect at initial t stage ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ser
      Inspired

Ser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      early 2014 - summer 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You still hear all the sounds, but much quieter.
      The world we are living in is very noisy (cars, machines, the noise is just evertwhere) so I don't think wearing earplugs can ever be a minus, only a plus.

My grandma and her best friend of the same age have totally different hearing, grandma who was a householder her whole life has a normal hearing for someone of 83 years old, while her friend who worked at a factory is almost completely deaf (very bad hearing and wearing hearing aid). Like I said, earplugs doesn't have to do much with T (in my case), just as a protection of my hearing, after I became very aware how damaging the noise can be.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Agreed, i also want to be able to hear well when i am old.
      Just 1 week before T happened I tested myself (39) and my dad (65) and i was able to hear up to 18400 and he was up to 13000Hz. It was so difficult to explain to him what he was missing as he just could not hear it.
      For me the difference was and still is enormous.
      I still can hear well but i got T.
      Week after the revenge came and I got T for showing off to my dad!!!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah, once you have it.. And if it does go away thats your ears warning you that one more bad noise exposure or whatever will bring it back full force. And not living with T brings you back to the way things were pre-T.. You may listen to music thinking your okay it went away or even just forget about the dangers of the ear and boom T'S Back. Some goes away for a while to just return for no reason at all. And for some like you it may be no big deal meaning appreciate the other things around you, have new experiences but these are things that those with disabiling T will do and achieve in accepting but does not mean there T will go away. -- habuitation is the best bet but its very difficult for some to achieve.. But they will and will be just fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Anyone have any idea why T seems to go away or very nearly have gone away for one day and then seems to be back the next morning only to go away again 2 days later and then return again for 2 days.
      Makes me afraid to go to sleep when it is silent - so the night that it is silent I stay up nearly all night just to enjoy the quiet. Then of course next day I am totally tired again through lack of sleep and the T is back...
      Any ideas? Mine is quite new and each time it goes away I think that it is getting better.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @Ser
      Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Very inspiring.
      You are young - which as I understand can increase the odds of fade/resolution. And my audiologist has noted many resolutions of t within the first 6-8 months. Wish many of them had come forward like you and posted their success story.
      Wonderful that you continue to focus on the many great areas of your life, and with your caution about further excessively loud sound exposure. With all that in play, I think all will be well :)
      Best wishes, and thanks again. Great news!

• Like Like x 3
    9. chvrlotte
      Cool

chvrlotte Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I love reading stuff like this, makes me feel better about my own chances of improvement. I read this yesterday, and since then I've kept in-ear headphones in (without anything connected) to give myself some extra silence (and hopefully a swift road to recovery). I feel a bit isolated with just me, the ringing, and the faint sounds of other stuff going on around me but I guess I might as well get used to it for a little while anyway. My only deal is that Azealia Banks dropped a new album and I want to listen to it. :(

• Like Like x 2
    10. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      I have T for 7 months now and i also have it like you. In the morning the worst but mostly it calmes down to very silent. And there are days that i can hear it all day log. Hissing, crickets, white noise etc. Try not to focus on it and dont stay up in the night, sleep is very good for T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Gabrielle
      No Mood

Gabrielle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe bad syringing
      Hi @Ser, very nice for you the T has gone! Good story!
      But also you wrote "It will go away, so relax or if it never goes away".
      I cannot agree with that... there are a lot T-people relaxt and though the T has not be gone, even not afther 10, 15, 25 years. Also dr. Nagler has T more then 20 years, and I think he is very relaxt about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Be careful with over protecting. It can lead to hyperacusis and lower you sound sensitivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Andrew

Andrew Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication or infection (I Reckon)
      I can't tell you how happy I am that you Tinnitus has stopped @Srdjan !!

It must have been a huge relief to you, I can't imagine how good it must have felt! :)

14. Kopesy
      English

Kopesy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      19/09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll never know
      Absolutely awesome for you mate! Really does make you appreciate what you have & with that you gain something extra. Your case sounds very similar to mine, the electric tv static noises, found it so hard to describe to people the noise, it's the older tvs that displyed the gray fuzzy static on screen. I've had days where my T has completely gone, 8 days was the longest (really thought it had gone by like the 5th day) It came back but It's really possitive to know it went & even more possitive to know of someone who has the same T as me (or had! :D) & found silence.
      Enjoy your new start in life, it'll never feel so sweet :)
      Peace o/

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Great to read a success story. I know it has been recent since your t has gone but how is it now? How are you? Still no ringing?

16. beemovie

beemovie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2013
      "Be careful with over protecting. It can lead to hyperacusis"........huh? I have never heard of someone getting hyperacusis simply because they overprotected their ears. If someone already has hyperacusis they may want to try and not over protect when hearing not loud sounds. But not the other way around.

17. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      You could be right... I just am speaking from personal experience.

18. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      Thanks. :thankyousign:

Although I am habituated to my T, but your story gives me a great hope.

19. Paul201
      Pacman

Paul201 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Subwoofer
      This is an interesting story. I am looking for acoustic trauma t that suddenly goes away but unfortunately these cases 'seem' few and far between. Is it because people don't report them or they just don't exist? I presume most t sufferers would post if their t went away and be very happy to share that story. You say you hardly noticed your t in the run up to it going, I presume it was a quite low hissing sound then. Im sure the thread starter is far away for this site too and will NOT be answering ;P

My t has shown slight improvement, it not the quite piercing eeeeeee that I was in the first few weeks, room to hope I guess, would be nice if that dropped to a hiss of some kind than bye bye, not really enough of this scenario around to make it more than a dream it would seem

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. ali can
      Alone

ali can Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/08/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hight-noise
      I've read that story and Im happy because it gave me hope. My T started on 22 august and than 10 days passed My T is gone away I forgat this I went on my life happly and then I went to cinema and following days I worked noisly work for 3 but wearing ear plugs and I relized my T its there .
      I've been taken vitamins since My t came back

I hope My T will go away one day and I will protect my ears for ever carefully

İf anyone want to talk add me
      https://www.facebook.com/alifbcan

we can support each other

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. khayla

khayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2015
      hi! i'm 13 and about three months ago i noticed a ringing in my right ear when i was trying to sleep. it doesn't bother me throughout the day, because i can only really hear it when i'm in dead silence or like at night when i'm in bed. it gets really annoying and i have no idea why i have it? like it came out of nowhere and i don't listen to loud music or anything. do you think it will go away? like i'm still really young and have a lot of my life ahead of me so i'm really scared

22. davidchampoux
      No Mood

davidchampoux Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, viral? ...
      I would say that your chances are very good! If I was you, I would try to avoid loud music, yes, but also any loud noises (city noises, cinema, or restaurants, etc.) for while, and buy ear plugs. Put them when you feel it's loud over you.

Also, as you're pretty young, chances are you don't have hearing damages yet, so I would try to look at what I eat. STOP the junk food, salty and sweet stuff as well. YES, I know, it's hard, but try to stop for a while. I'm sure it'll help you. Talk about it to your parents, they'll care for sure.

Finally, try to relax. I know it's not always easy to do, but you have to break that anxious feeling you have. If you have an iPod or iPhone, get the 'White Noise' application, and use it when you go to bed. Listen to water kind of sounds, but always set it to a very LOW level... Just to hear it about at the same level than your rigning. It helps a lot to forget the T.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Hi @khayla,

I know of someone who had tinnitus for 4 months following an an acoustic trauma. It was steady for two months and then more intermittent for 2 months and then gone. And has been gone for years. It happens and I am not sure the statistics quoted a few posts above are accurate at 15%. My ENT said the percentage is much higher. Like you, my T is very quiet. I hear it in dead silience only or if the noise leve in the room is really low, like the tv is low and only when I search for the noise. If I tune into the noise in relative quiet I can hear it. Like the person who started who started this thread, I got it after one exposure a month ago. I have no hearing loss and have not been exposed to lots of loud noises or been sick. I hope mine goes away too. The advice to protect your ears in loud circumstances is a good and a sound machine or app in your iPhone etc.

Also you might want to see and ear specialist to make sure nothing is wrong.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    24. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Also, I forgot to add that most people who have T that resolves in a few months to a year may not even get on this site. I have also seen a lot of posts from folks who have posted and then they disappear. One of the staff of this site told me the average time someone is active on this site is 3 months. They either start to do better and start habituating and for some, it may have just resolved. You can always hope as I know it has happened for some people after many many months. And for others, it will not. Just try to cope and hope for the best.

• Like Like x 3
    25. khayla

khayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2015
      thank you so much!!

• Like Like x 1
    26. khayla

khayla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2015
      thank you !

27. joannanava29

joannanava29 Member

Hi I'm currently having in only one ear a ringing noise and I also hear the voices of people like chipmunks and I'm scared i might stay like this forever! It's annoying I want to be able to hear normally again I we t to the doctor but he says I have inflammation and gave me loretadine and gave me 1 antibiotic shot it's been 2 days and I still hear ringing .

28. davidchampoux
      No Mood

davidchampoux Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, viral? ...
      Hi Joanna,

I'm sorry for your problem. I'm dealing with similar problems since a few months (thought the cause is most likely different than yours), but I think I can help.

What you hear is called diplacusis. This is most likely due to inflammation, your doc got it right. Have you been exposed to loud noise/music? Can you identify to cause?

If I was you, I would get as much as possible rest, and protect my ear from all loud noises. Do whatever you can to RELAX (even if it implies some meds), this is crucial! Also, it is not easy during the Holidays, but I would definitely cut on:

- coffee, chocolate, alcohol, or anything that can cause higher pression,
      - limit dairy, salt, and sugar products as much as possible,
      - continue the loretadine, and antibio (beware: the antibio might temporarily cause louder tinitus). Be sure to have an ototoxic SAFE medication. Browse the web.
      - have a regular daily routine (eat always at the same hours) don't eat too much, get 8 hours of sleep per night,

- wait 2-3 more days and if your audition is not getting (even slightly) better, go see the doctor again and ask him for cortisone (that will help you for sure, but you need to identify the cause of your problem asap). Beware of the side effects though. For me, there's a really bad psychotic side effect. Since I now know it, I can deal better, but it's not easy.

- you could also ask for a retroviral (Valtrex) med for a 7-10 days course. It won't hurt, but might not help. The doc will confirm.

- You might also want to have an audigram. It could explain more to an ENT doctor than just the 'chipmunks' description.

Remember that those ear 'injuries' might take up to 6 months (or more) to heal completely! You normally should hear much better in 15-30 days, but you will remain fragile. Protect your ears (don't over protect them though), avoid loud noises, concerts, bars, loud music/radio in the car, wear ear plugs. Keep them with you at all time. Be on the safe side.

I wish you very good luck, we're here to help whenever needed!

• Like Like x 2
    29. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      Encouraging story from a noise induced T-sufferer like myself.

I like the part about eating better, etc. -- I went for a long run today and T is still there by I feel much better and not as bothered by Mr T.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there. -- It does get better!

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. Eib

Eib Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've noticed that some people love to, after a success story, say "well that's fine and good for you but it doesn't mean everyone's will go". Which may be true but why post it?

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1