N-Acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, May 16, 2012.

1. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      chaps re magnesium i wonder if we are taking the right stuff to get into the nervous system

Magnesium threonate is the real deal and expensive!!have a google,

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. JohnG

JohnG Guest

3. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, it's exactly this one. This product was developed by agbpharma in San Diego.
      Does someone else eats this stuff?

• Like Like x 2
    4. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I just started taking NAC . I've noticed the tonal component of my T has definitely lowered significantly. Has anybody else noticed NAC has improved there T...?

On a side note ...I also take magnesium citrate, zinc, ginko, garlic, and b vitamins...but I have been on those for a long time and noticed a specific change after I started taking the NAC capsules. I also started listening to a little bit of the ACRM from the site Generalfuzz.net/acrn/ around the same time but I only did this for short periods. So I really thing it's the NAC.

Thoughts? Any one with some use NAC for T here?

• Like Like x 1
    5. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      How much are you taking? And for how long? There is information on NAC as being otoprotective. And there's at least one report, cited above, of a woman who took 2g of NAC daily for depression and her tinnitus abated--what a wonderful side effect!:)

6. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Jazz... I'm taking a 500 mg capsules of Jarrow Formulas NAC about 3 times a day. The recommended dosage is 1-2 times a day but I've decided to give an extra cap a try being I'm a pretty tall guy and don't feel any adverse side effects....
      Thanks for responding !

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Savin Abram

Savin Abram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hello guys,
      Well I'm a bit confused now.Some said nac good for t some said it just makes it worse..should I take this nac...I got my t because of antibiotic.tq guys

8. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi everyone
      I have too relief from NAC.. But isnt it just temporary? Because effect of NAC on glutamate...
      I had acustic trama and then i took ototoxic meds...

9. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Which antibiotic did you take Savin?

10. Savin Abram

Savin Abram Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm not sure but I will get back to the doctor 2years ago which I went to..I want to as him what the hack he has done to me..I just found out that antibiotic my causes

11. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @gebora I think you are right about the temporary effect. NAC helped for about a week and now my tonal T seems to be back where it was before the NAC induced drop in it's level.

12. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @SoulStation :( Ou.. Because i took 1800mg per day... Then i took 600mg per day and my T got worse.. Then i increased my dosage and my T went again down... Anyway.. NAC can affect T.. Maybe good news..

13. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Let us know how it works for you.:) With supplements, it may take 30 days before you notice a difference as it has to build up in your system.

14. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another article on NAC and protection from drug ototoxicity:

Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2011 Dec;26(12):4073-8. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfr211. Epub 2011 May 6.
      Protective effect of N-acetylcysteine from drug-induced ototoxicity in uraemic patients with CAPD peritonitis.
      Tokgoz B1, Ucar C, Kocyigit I, Somdas M, Unal A, Vural A, Sipahioglu M, Oymak O, Utas C.
      Author information

Abstract
      AIM:
      Peritonitis is currently one of the leading complications of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD) treatment. Aminoglycosides and vancomycin are used in the treatment of CAPD peritonitis despite their potential risk for ototoxicity. N-acetylcysteine (NAC) is a molecule used in the treatment and prophylaxis of many diseases related to oxidative stress. The aim of this study was to examine whether ototoxicity due to antibiotics used in the treatment of CAPD peritonitis can be prevented by NAC.

METHODS:
      Sixty patients, who first developed CAPD peritonitis attacks from February 2008 to April 2010 were included in this study. Patients were divided into two groups, those taking an additional NAC treatment (n = 30) and a control group (n = 30). Low- and high-frequency hearing function tests were performed on the two groups before treatment (baseline), at the end of the first (early follow-up) and the fourth week after the treatment (late follow-up). Total doses of vancomycin and amikacin were recorded.

RESULTS:
      There was no statistically significant difference between the groups in terms of hearing functions at the beginning. However, patients taking NAC had better hearing function test results 4 weeks after the treatment compared with those of the control group (P < 0.05). There were no statistical differences between posttreatment low-frequency hearing function tests conducted at the baseline and the first and the fourth weeks in patients taking NAC. The first and the fourth week's low-frequency hearing functions worsened when compared with the baseline low-frequency results in the control group (P < 0.001). It was found that NAC had a protective effect againstototoxicity on low-frequency (0.25-8 KHz) hearing functions. The first and the fourth week's high-frequency hearing functions improved when compared with baseline high-frequency hearing functions in patients taking NAC (P < 0.05), while they worsened. The first and fourth week's high-frequency tests worsened when compared with the baseline high-frequency tests in the control group (P < 0.001).

CONCLUSIONS:
      The present study suggests that intraperitoneal aminoglycoside and vancomycin administration in CAPD patients may cause low- and high-frequency hearing loss, and this ototoxic effect is related to the dose given. It was found that when the antioxidant NAC is administered alone, it prevents ototoxicity, associated with intraperitoneal amikacin and vancomycin in patients with CAPD peritonitis. In addition, it was revealed that NAC may also have a curative effect on impaired high-frequency hearing functions.

Reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21551083

For the full text version, click here.

• Informative Informative x 4
    15. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Is NAC ototoxic?

What about ginkgo? And melatonin??

My T is due to ototoxic meds, I don't want to increase it....

16. Johno
      Dreaming

Johno Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma

NAC is not ototoxic. Is otoprotective.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      didn't someone mention that NAC caused their tinnitus to increase?

it scares me to take anything at all :(

18. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Where is a good place to buy NAC from? I live in Canada, My tinnitus seems to have increase used to masking with ear bugs so I want to give this a shot.

19. gebora
      Dreaming

gebora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
    20. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Just curious: On my doctor's advice, I take high doses of N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) prior to noise exposure (as when I am going to a concert) or immediately after loud noise exposure. It definitely calms my tinnitus. I only, however, use it for these situations. My dosage is 1800 mg immediately before or after exposure, followed by 1200 mg the next two days.

I went to a small outdoor concert Friday that was louder then I thought it would be (although I did go with both ear plugs and ear muffs), so decided to start the NAC regime as soon as I got home. On Sunday, I was out and about, and suddenly realized... hey, my T has been really quiet lately. Which got me wondering: Was it the NAC?

So my question: Do any of you take NAC daily? Does it help? And what's your dose?
      Thanks.

21. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Appears to be a miracle drug?
      'N-acetyl cysteine comes from the amino acid L-cysteine. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. N-acetyl cysteine has many uses as medicine.

N-acetyl cysteine is used to counteract acetaminophen (Tylenol) and carbon monoxide poisoning. It is also used for chest pain (unstable angina), bile duct blockage in infants, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease),Alzheimer’s disease, allergic reactions to the anti-seizure drug phenytoin (Dilantin), and an eye infection called keratoconjunctivitis. It is also used for reducing levels of a type of cholesterol called lipoprotein (a), homocysteine levels (a possible risk factor for heart disease) and the risk of heart attack and stroke in patients with seriouskidney disease.

Some people use N-acetyl cysteine for chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hay fever, a lung condition called fibrosing alveolitis, head and neck cancer, and lung cancer. It is also used for treating some forms ofepilepsy; ear infections; complications of kidney dialysis; chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); an autoimmune disorder called Sjogren’s syndrome; preventing sports injury complications; radiation treatment; increasing immunity to flu and H1N1 (swine) flu; and for detoxifying heavy metals such as mercury, lead, and cadmium.

N-acetyl cysteine is also used for preventing alcoholic liver damage; for protecting against environmental pollutants including carbon monoxide, chloroform, urethanes and certain herbicides; for reducing toxicity of ifosfamide and doxorubicin, drugs that are used for cancer treatment; as a hangover remedy; for preventing kidney damage due to certain X-ray dyes; and for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

Healthcare providers give N-acetyl cysteine intravenously (by IV) for acetaminophen overdose, acrylonitrile poisoning, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease), kidney failure in the presence of liver disease (hepatorenal syndrome), chest pain in combination with nitroglycerin, heart attack in combination with nitroglycerin and streptokinase, and for helping to prevent multi-organ failure leading to death.

N-acetyl cysteine is sometimes inhaled (breathed into the lungs) or delivered through a tube in the throat to treat certain lung disorders such as pneumonia, bronchitis,emphysema, cystic fibrosis, and others.

How does it work?
      N-acetyl cysteine treats acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning by binding the poisonous forms of acetaminophen that are formed in the liver. It is also an antioxidant, so it may play a role in preventing cancer.'

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I found that it definitely tamed my T for a little while when I played three 4 hr wedding gigs over Memorial Day weekend. I know it was the Nac working but I can say honestly since then it hasn't done too much.
      But I still take it daily. Over 2000 mg. Maybe I should only use it before and after performances instead of daily and it will work better?

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Wow, that is a hefty dose of NAC. Sounds like you and I have the same question: is it better to take NAC periodically in regards to loud exposure? Or to take it daily?

Thanks to both you and @Ken219 for responding.

• Like Like x 1
    24. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SoulStation

That is a lot of NAC. Probably too much long term. @Markku takes 600 mg daily. I've seen this amount cited most frequently.

Below is a list of oral doses for NAC that appear in medical research from WebMD:

• For acetaminophen (Tylenol) overdose: at the beginning of treatment, a first high dose of 140 mg/kg of a 5% solution of N-acetyl cysteine is given. The commercially available 10% and 20% solutions may be diluted with water, carbonated, or non-carbonated beverages, and given through a straw to lessen the unpleasant odor of N-acetyl cysteine. Seventeen additional doses of 70 mg/kg as a 5% solution are given every 4 hours, for a total dose of 1330 mg/kg over 72 hours.
      • For chest pain that is not relieved by rest (unstable angina): 600 mg of N-acetyl cysteine three times daily with a nitroglycerin patch.
      • For preventing sudden worsening of chronic bronchitis: doses of 200 mg twice daily, 200 mg three times daily, 300 mg slow-release twice daily, and 600 mg controlled-release twice daily have been used.
      • For treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): 600 mg of N-acetyl cysteine once daily, in addition to standard care, has been used for up to 6 months.
      • For treating a lung condition called fibrosing alveolitis that makes breathing difficult: 600 mg of N-acetyl cysteine 3 times daily.
      • For preventing damage to the bladder due to treatment with a cancer drug called ifosfamide: 1 to 2 grams of N-acetyl cysteine every 6 hours.
      • For reducing levels of homocysteine in the blood: 1.2 grams of N-acetyl cysteine daily.
      • For myoclonus epilepsy: 4-6 grams daily.
      • For reducing flu symptoms: 600 mg twice daily.
      • For reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes in patients with end-stage kidney disease: 600 mg twice daily.
      • For skin wounds due to hemodialysis treatment: 200 mg four times daily or 600 mg twice daily.
      • For preventing kidney damage associated with the use of iopromide (Ultravist-300) for diagnostic tests: 400 to 600 mg of N-acetyl cysteine twice daily on the day before and on the day of iopromide administration, with IV saline (0.45%) 1 mL/kg body weight per hour for 12 hours before and 12 hours after iopromide administration.
      • For trichotillomania (hair-pulling): N-acetyl cysteine 1200 mg to 2400 mg daily has been used.

Reference:

And in the current clinical trial using NAC and magnesium to prevent noise-induced hearing damage, the amount is 600 mg NAC and 200 mg magnesium. See https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...amage-by-use-of-antioxidants.1354/#post-50470

I would probably take the NAC and magnesium combo before and after noise exposure. You could even take that combo daily. But don't exceed 600 mg NAC and 200 mg magnesium daily without checking with your doctor.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks @jazz, you're the best. I probably will stick with NAC on as an needed basis. I already take magnesium 400 mg daily, but as much for the digestive benefits as for tinnitus.
      Glad you are a manager now! You are so valuable to TT.

26. SoulStation
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think that stopping my NAC for at least 2 out of the 7 days of the week has helped the NAC actually do something. This is not my imagination. I read that if you take it everyday your body will slow down on it's production of Glutathione (even though NAC helps spur the production of it). I think that it does help to not take NAC every day and you might see some quieting effects from it. IT is not a HUGE difference, but I am ultra sensitive and notice a difference.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      • Like Like x 1
    28. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @carlover 's article is excellent. For those who aren't familiar with otitis media with effusion (OME), here's a useful description:

Otitis media with effusion (OME) is defined as a collection of fluid in the middle ear without signs or symptoms of ear infection.1 It typically arises when the Eustachian tubes are not functioning normally. When this happens, pressure changes occur in the middle ear and fluid can accumulate.
      OME is commonly a problem in childhood but it also appears in adults. In adults, the fluid is usually accompanied by infection. OME is not always painful.

In the above study, people were divided into two groups--both groups received decongestants and antibiotics. But the study group also received NAC. In the study group, the addition of NAC significantly improved outcomes and increased recovery rates. Why is this important for people with tinnitus? Because many people with tinnitus--including myself--suffer from Eustachian tube problems from allergies and other factors. If you suffer from ETD, you are at greater risk for OME and other ear issues.

For NAC dosage and other specific information, please see the article.

Here is a graphic summarizing the effect of NAC on OME:

Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 9.45.12 PM.png

References:

• Like Like x 1
    30. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @jazz
      Sorry for always bothering you with my questions, but do you think I should try this? I have a doctors apointment in two weeks, maybe I should ask for this. Since one person in this thread said it helped his H, I think that it's worth trying unless it's dangerous in any way.