New Device Provides Better “Masking” for Tinnitus Sufferers: Dynamic Tinnitus Mitigation

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Danny, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Ok check this out , food for thought my friend who doesn't suffer from tinnitus but whose girlfriend has just had surgery to be able to hear again in one ear.

Blocking the Buzz: New device provides better “masking” for tinnitus sufferers
      Imagine for a moment that the loud, incessant buzz of bees inhabits your head. Now, imagine being told by doctors to “get used to it” since there is little, if anything, that can be done to make it stop.
      That has been the unfortunate fate of many of the 360,000 Canadians that endure tinnitus – a condition where sufferers hear sounds in one or both ears when there is no external source.

While there is still no cure, researchers and physicians have offered tinnitus sufferers hope and relief through medications and masking devices, as well as cognitive, relaxation and sound therapies.

Now, work by Dr. Jerry J. Halik, a professor in the department of otolaryngology, offers tinnitus sufferers an improved alternative. Dr. Halik, along with Lorraine Vosu, a Toronto audiologist, and Mike Petroff, a California-based inventor and tinnitus sufferer, have developed a promising new masking therapy called Dynamic Tinnitus Mitigation.

Tinnitus is linked to hearing loss, and can be triggered by exposure to loud noise, head trauma or certain medications. For many sufferers, the condition is a tolerable nuisance. For others, the constant, high-pitched hissing or buzzing, or pulsating sound of crickets, provokes debilitating depression and anxiety.

A universal treatment for tinnitus remains elusive because doctors’ understanding of what causes the condition is still evolving. Previously, researchers believed tinnitus stemmed solely from ear problems. Today, new medical scanning devices have revealed that tinnitus is likely often generated in the brain.

Dr. Halik’s masking therapy uses a device resembling an MP3 player. The mechanism delivers computer-generated sounds via headphones or two miniature speakers. Over time, it helps patients habituate to their particular tinnitus sounds.

Traditional tinnitus masking devices produce steady wind-like sounds that are often easily distinguishable from typical tinnitus, making it difficult to effectively mask the offending noise. What makes Dr. Halik’s device innovative is that it produces pleasant sounds at a low volume and over a broad spectrum of frequencies that can mask and temporarily suppress almost all types of tinnitus.

A 2004 study of Dr. Halik’s therapy found that test subjects who were asked whether the new device reduced their annoyance to tinnitus when compared with 11 conventional masking sounds said they found Dr. Halik’s device twice as effective, on average.

Dynamic Tinnitus Mitigation will be available from North American hearing care providers or directly from Audio Bionics by early 2010.

• Like Like x 1
    2. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Another gimmick.

3. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      This device dates from 2010 please delete this silly thing

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      maybe but I'm going to contact this guy, he's in my area...can't find any relevant info past this

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      yup didn't realize this was old news.....my friend passed it on to me and I didn't catch the date ...so don't piss on my parade.....but I will contact Dr. Halik as he is in my area

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hi D, yeah this can happen.. but it's just disappointing to see it haha

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Might be old news to you but to someone new it might be a good read......Next time I find earth shattering news I'' run it by you first......;) I have a good idea tho (y) why don't you be a GREAT TT member and make a dontion to the website, I'm sure Markku and the boyz would really appreciate it....you know in the Christmas spirit of giving and and goodwill to all....:beeranimation:

8. Robb
      Question it

Robb Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Hey D,

I did not forget you.. today i was able to finally become member! As being an expat living abroad.
      I wish you a good 2014 and hope we can be friends now..

Ciao

• Like Like x 1