Prednisone and Fluticasone

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rina, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      I went to the ENT today . It has been a month since I got tinnitus... According to my hearing test I still have hearing loss however the ear managed to recover in 1 db... The doctor prescribed fluticasone propionate and prednisone.... Should I takes these... He said the steroid might lower my ringing.... ? Anyone has taken these before? What's your experience?

2. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      When i was on set was given full corse of prednisone. Didn't do much for my tinnitus but i believe it helped with some hearing loss had at the time.
      Hope you get better.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @Rog .. Thanks! How is your T? It has only been a month for me... Hoping it will go away but coming to the realization it won't.. does it get better though? To live with it? How long you had it for? Is it better?

4. Lara K

Lara K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      I have taken both of these, and I still take the Fluticasone Propionate because I have allergies. It is the best allergy medicine that I have ever taken and I love it. I have no side effects from it.

I also took prednisone for a month after my sudden hearing loss and tinnitus began. I started taking it within 48 hours of my hearing loss and tinnitus. I really did not like the prednisone, I did a taper which started off with 60mg, and they gave me valium as well to help me sleep. It made me feel wired up, and I did lose 7 lbs (which is generally awesome, and I was working out) but it was unpleasant. It was worth it to me because my hearing almost returned to normal levels. I do still have what I guess is mild but annoying tinnitus. I did have a hard time when I stopped taking the prednisone. I felt very weak and spaced out while my body started making its own cortisol again. I also feel like it messed with my hormones, and that was brutal for a couple of months, but is better now. I still would choose to take it if given the choice because it may have been what saved most of my hearing.

They usually advise taking prednisone within 30 days of the onset of hearing loss, but it probably won't hurt to try. I did not enjoy the side effects of prednisone but they weren't permanent. How long do they want you to take it for?

I really hope that these drugs make a difference for you.

Lara

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @Lara K I have to take it 4x a day for 3 days, then 3x a day for 3 days, then 2x a day for 3 days and finally once a day for three days..if it lowers my T a bit I would be happy...

6. Lara K

Lara K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      That sounds similar to me except they had me take mine all at once 6 pills for like 4 days then down to 3 pills and so on. I just warned everyone that I would be rage filled for a while, lol. They gave me 2 tapers so it went on for a month. It seems worth a shot, although don't be worried if it takes a while to readjust. I was really tired and anxious after the prednisone but I am fine now!

7. grandfunk1

grandfunk1 Member

I took prednisone 2 days after acoustic trauma. I don't think it really did anything. You might want to look into AM-101. Im starting it tomorrow. Ive heard good things from who ive talked too. I know one day ill have silence again, i love music to much, no way will i have this forever.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      prednisone did nothing for me, am-101 might be better.

9. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      The steroid lowered my T significantly for 2 months but seems to be loud again, probably unrelated.

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've been on Flonase for 20 years. Great for allergies, does help my T a little. Prednisone helps a little too.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @I who love music ... I started the steroids today .. And have been feelin a slight better... T seems lees bother some today... I have not try the spray yet will start tomorrow.... I also decided to be more positive like you suggested and it's working.. I started to fe my life back just after 4 weeks of T onset... And I believe it will get better and better

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      Today is my second day on prednisone and I feel so nervous, I just threw up.. Today I was so agitated angry now I'm confused... Don't know what to do.... I started yesterday 40mlg which I have to take for thre days them 39mlg for 3 days then 2 and then 1 ... I'm so scared of how I'm feeling... Although my T seems to have lowered in volume right now I feel is through the roof or maybe is my anxiety!!!! Please help!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      This is a shot in the dark but maybe you should stop the prednisone.

14. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      If it lowers your volume, you should perhaps continue.
      T is a difficult mental game. So it could be your tension/anxiety making you problems.
      Perhaps get something to calm you down.
      Prednisone had no side effects for me.

15. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Anxiety issues is a thing on it's own. I'm habituated , but have major anxiety issues as a left over, which slowly go away...i hope....but it gives me the weirdest symptoms...so if you are feeling you are going through the roof..... I guess it's all anxiety.....which is normal in this situation....

16. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      @Rina Prednisone can give this kind of side effect. It's absolutely normal. If it works for your T, don't stop it. Ask the doctor something that can balance your anxiety. After the onset, I was prescribed a course of prednisone and it worked for me, lowering the T

17. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      My opinion is to increase dose immediately because you respond.
      You have good changes to stop T completely.But act imediately before is too late.
      Anxiety and nervousness from corticosteroids will pass is only transient but T if remains you will drive you crazy.
      Hear the olds ... Side effects from corticosteroids are nothing for some days for the changes to you T be better.
      Change prednisone to methylprednisolone my opinion is
      1 day from now iv 3 x 40mg (120 total)
      2 day 3 x 36mg (108 total)
      3 day 3 36mg (108 total)
      the next doses will based on responce

The dose you are taking now is very low prednisone is less potent than methylprednisolone
      and buildup less conctrentation in the inner ear.

18. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prednisone made me completely bonkers for days, and left me with a permanent understanding of what my partner goes through when she has her monthly hormone swings...

It's totally normal for this stuff to make you feel absolutely insane for a short while. Don't worry about it; your sleep and everything else may be pretty bad for a few days, but it will be over, and it will not hurt you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. I had the same response to prednisone. Sleep was a real issue too. I did better on Methylprednisolone six day burst. It seems that all steroids can make you feel bad for awhile.

20. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      My husband came down with a super bug that was shutting down his kidneys. He was on a "cocktail" of drugs or else he was looking at dialysis. He is a mild mannered person and I recall that he had issues with the prednisone as far as his emotions went. He said that drug did make him super energized and he had to keep his emotions in "check". But, instead of his kidneys continuing to be attacked by his own body, the drugs worked. He is fine today and has been for a long while. I guess if I were in your shoes, I would call my Dr and tell them what is going on. You need reassurance for sure that you are going to be ok. Don't let your mind wander, call them now.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @Carlo ... Did this steroids lowered your T permanently?

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @robinbird .. I called the ent he told me to wait until tomorrow when I start my lower dose... 30mlg ... He said I will be fine but if I feel worse to. Call him back... We will see what happens

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @1MW ... I just started this steroid... I don't think the ent will change it at this point without evaluating my respond... I just had an MRI today .. My ent and neurologist will go over the results... I would suggest it to him in my next appointment! Thanks for the advise!

24. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      was it loud? did you use ear protection?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      They gave me earplugs and I took Valium for test ... Funny I did not hear my T like for 4 hrs after the MRI not sure if it was the Valium which makes me think my T might be anxiety and stress related... Who knows... But my T is definitely lower .. It was getting lower before I started the steroids but improved more after.. The fullness in the ear is going as well... Hopefully it will go away or will remain low

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. robinbird
      Fine

robinbird Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitch hearing loss, both ears, right is worse
      Good. I am happy you called. I am one who is guilty of putting off calling the Dr. But I am learning at 61 that we all have to be aggressive with our own medical needs. That is what they are there for. The emergency room is always an option to if the need ever arises. Sounds like you are overwhelmed by everything. I can stress myself out. I sit down and take about three deep breaths through my nose and exhale through my mouth. It calms me down. I have heard that prednisone is the new wonder drug. Cures a lot of conditions. Maybe because this is the first time taking it, you are anxious because you did not know what to expect. I heard some people like it because it gives them energy! What can you do for yourself that may calm you down? Hot shower, a walk, heating pad on your back, back rub from someone? I think you are going to get through this just fine. I thank God everyday for the drug, it probably saved my husbands life! ❤️

27. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Yes. I can say 30%. Hang in there

28. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      Wow! Either it was the Valium or the MRI machine. I wonder..

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rina
      Energetic

Rina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/18/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Really don't know
      @NiNyu me too!!!! I was wondering if it was the MRI machine... Weird!!

30. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      I think I should try the MRI then. Maybe I get lucky too? @Rina , and it wasn't loud?