Remember Remember the 5th of November

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cher69, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Remember remember the fifth of November, Gunpowder, treason and plot. I see no reason why gunpowder, treason should ever be forgot

Its bonfire night in the UK - when we build bonfires, set off fireworks and eat toffee apples, parkin, and other goodies- a tradition to celebrate Guy Fawkes & the Gunpowder Plot Words of "Remember Remember" refer to Guy Fawkes with origins in 17th century English history. On the 5th November 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament with several dozen barrels of gunpowder. He was tried for treason and sentenced to death.

Many years ago in the UK children would make a 'Guy' model and push it rounds the streets asking for 'penny for the Guy' to reward their efforts in making the Guy, which would then be burnt ontop of the bonfire.

Made me wonder what other traditions my friends on here have from their homelands please share so we can learn a little about your Country and traditions.

Cher x

• Like Like x 2
    2. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      Valentines Day, Sweetest Day in some states, Wedding Anniversaries, all a big pain in the rear for us guy's, well for me anyway.

I just tell my wonderful wife of 43 years, if you see it and like it, buy it!!!
      Problem solved..

• Like Like x 1
    3. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      On a serious note I was talking to Caroline in Wales, and she was telling me about some of the festivities you mentioned.

My favorite is my Birthday. I will take all I can get!!

• Like Like x 2
    4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Cher,
      Thanks for starting this thread! I had heard of Guy Fawkes Day, but didn't know what you did to celebrate it. It sounds like a fun day, actually. What is "parkin"? Is that some kind of sweet? Hope you have a fun celebration this evening!

Here in the U.S., we celebrate Veterans' Day on November 11, to honor veterans of all wars. We usually celebrate with parades, flags, and ceremonies to honor the brave men and women who have served our country in all branches of the military.

We celebrate Thanksgiving Day on the third Thursday in November. It's one of my favorite holidays, where everyone gathers with family and friends to share a Thanksgiving feast and think about what we are truly thankful for in our lives. The holiday started as a remembrance of the first feast in the New World that the pilgrims shared with the Indians. This holiday also coincides with a lot of football games, and it has become the official start of the Christmas holiday season.

I'd like to hear about more holiday traditions in other countries!

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Parkin is a cake made with oats and black treacle it's an acquired taste ! But it's cake lol ! I love bonfire night it's usually cold here by November so on a frosty star filled sky with bonfires blazing and fireworks lighting up the sky it's a great family night. Kids love sparklers and the men all appear to enjoy being the 'firework starter' lol !

• Like Like x 1
    6. astronomer
      Spaced

astronomer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced ( factory/rock band )
      cher,
      over here in ontario,canada we had thanksgiving day on october the 14, we had halloween night on october 31, where kids go door to door for candies,chips,homemade fudge,etc..,not sure if it is celebrated over there, i am kevin, ( astronomer)

• Like Like x 1
    7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      • Like Like x 1
    8. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      Anybody seen the movie 'V for Vendetta'? It's one of my fav movies and that's where I got to know about guy fawkes(indirectly though). I suggest anybody who hasn't watched it to do so, it's a brilliant movie!

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Hi Kevin - Yes we have Halloween celebrations, I don't remember Halloween being a big thing when I was a child but it defo is now ! All children here love dressing up and trick n treating - when my daughters were younger I have been known to dress up myself and go out with them but somehow I never got any sweets lol ! Cher

10. Scubadude
      Badass

Scubadude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Oh Cher69 your so right about Halloween in the Uk we never had it in the 70's or 80's!. I have made the choice of having no kids (being a big one myself) So around Halloween I hide behind the sofa and turn the Tv and lights off and HIDE!!!!!

• Like Like x 1