Completed Safety and Efficacy of Intratympanic Application of Dexamethasone Via Catheter in Patients With SHL

To determine safety and efficacy of the application of Dexamethasone for Sudden Hearing Loss.

1. Tinnitus Talk submitted a new resource:

Safety and Efficacy of Intratympanic Application of Dexamethasone Via Catheter in Patients With SHL. (version 1.0) - To determine safety and efficacy of the application of Dexamethasone for Sudden Hearing Loss.

Read more about this resource...

2. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Hi guys

There is some logic that says this works for recent victims of tinnitus and snhl. Snyder ideas....has any 1 undergone this.......please share

Thanks
      Dhaval

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I'm desperately taking 80mg/prednisone and it is helping. I'm considering the tympanic injections to regain speech comprehension so that I can work as a professor

4. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      I knew of one patient four years ago, whom Drs. classified as one with "SNHL", but functioned fine in life wearing hearing-aids. However, he had T. He had this procedure in desperation, ended up in the hospital for weeks with worse debilitating issues, including spinning vertigo to the mix. Irony is, this arrangement is often prescribed for patients w/ vertigo symptoms.
      He is now completely disabled with vestibular issues, completely DEAF; cannot wear hearing-aids anymore.
      Great experiment though!
      Conclusion: Need I say more?

5. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Dear Kasart,
      Thanks so much!!! I think I will not do the injections then.
      Yes you have to be very careful about these pubmed studies since the researchers often have no regard for what happens to patients and the horrible damage you can get from experimental procedures.

perhaps a better option is a prednisone spray or prednisone drops. but you must be extremely careful that you do not get the drops with OTOTOXIC antibiotics like tobramycin or gentamicin (these should be banned)

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      is this Intratympanic treatment where they actually cut your eardrum with a needle? is there a treatment where they just spray steroid into your ear.
      I just want to recover my speech comprehension so I can work and talk to people

7. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      Can you read? It reads intratympanic in the title!!!

Intratympanic = to administer drugs locally through intratympanic (i.t.) injection to maximize efficacy and minimize systemic side effects.

Spray won't reach the middle ear!!! Sprays are useless. How would it get through tympanic membrane??

8. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I wasn't sure if intra or inter meant puncturing the delicate ear drum. But you see that patients have been terribly damaged by this procedure and unable to use hearing aids because of it. Please think rationally about this, I think a spray could possibly help

9. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I completely agree with the rational view of Kasart here. It is definitely not worth the risk of having vertigo and deafness when you can function with hearing aids.
      I went to Mt. Sinai NYEE and the resident told me that they never do tympanic injections in my case

10. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      • Genius Genius x 1
    11. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ are mainly abstracts/hypotheses with short-term small clinical trials which often end up with positive conclusions- noticed? e.g 70% success rate! Are ANY ever mention - this approach is not recommended for... or this was experimented on 10 patients (out of millions) in society who have no other vestibular symptoms etc. Negative/debatable abstracts are NOT published. Best way to get unbiased info. (like learning a new language) is to actually get it from people in the -real- world if you're able, such as this forum.

One has to educate themselves these days and get help from others. It's not helpful when one replies in a condescending manner to those who asks questions, when the forum/threads are for this reason!- Awareness & assistance. Displaying behavior as many "expert" arrogant Drs who have no people skills - We don't need this attitude here too. :pompous:
      Physics13: Transtympanic injections are painful - they are injected through the tympanic membrane (eardrum) by needle filing the middle ear w/ steroids or other drugs for short-term relief. Usually performed on Meniere patients at the early stage. Many state on other forums as well as people I know, that they did not work for them. A Dr. wanted to experiment with me (had no Meneire symptoms), but he wanted to do it anyway w/o any work-up - I declined). Learned later from another Otoneuro. that this would have worsened my condition by possibly adding Vertigo. Vertigo is a horrible malady to have.

12. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Yes these studies are really dangerous and experimental and they never list the terrible damage and results possible from larger groups of patients. Who knows how many people would actually go deaf or have vertigo or even die from these experiments if it was a large group of patients. I took ampicillin based on a study I read and it destroyed my hearing and NOONE listed the terrible DAMAGE and DEAFNESS it could cause

13. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @physics13 I think the study referred to in this thread is different from the the standard intra tympanic injections. This study talks about a continuous application for two weeks.

I had injections as part of the am 101 trial, they put a tiny incision in the ear drum which was did not hurt. The third day was a little bit uncomfortable but not painful. The hole in my eardrum healed quickly every time which is why i needed a new cut every time.

Thought i would share with my experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      thanks for posting this. but it still seems like a terrible risk since people have gone deaf and gotten permanent vertigo from it according to the poster on here

I've started to try dexamethasone oral pills instead but don't know what is a good and safe dose, maybe 5mg is really extremely high? but I took about 12.5mg with 30mg of prednisone and I still this morning couldn't understand the cashier and order food at Mcdonalds

15. Brianna
      No Mood

Brianna Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No clue - too many causes.
      No, you need not write more. I saw this thread, the topic and went in search of you :) . physics13 - be careful with what you wish for. sakrt has his/her own torture data to go along with what has been stated. I'm a counterpart (huh, k?) and strongly back up most his/her statements. I am deaf. Don't muck with your ears or if you muck with them, be prepared for possible negative consequences. I know desperation but be careful. Also, physics13, don't believe everything you read on the internet. The world is about marketing and selling and not correcting lies and not posting truths.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Incisions in the tympanic membrane? that's a new one. You stated "...every time". How often was it performed?
      Do you recall the chemical they injected and did it resolve your T ?

17. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Im not sure how incision qualifies "as a new one".
      The chemical is esketamine I believe.

I had it three times over three days. The AM101 thread has more then a few people who underwent the procedure and none have had the world ending side effects mentioned in the thread. Unfortunately i did not get any relief but i may have gotten the placebo though.

also in this link it has side effects and it seems to be a safe procedure.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3966923/

this was specifically for am 101

@physics13 Im not sure one person who says someone had a bad effect from injections means that the procedure is dangerous. Im not trying to convince you either way but trying to give you some perspective. There was a link posted to me by @Markku in the AM101 thread because i was afraid of going through with the injections which i cant find but if i do i can post it, but it showed that the injections are quite safe.

18. physics13
      In pain

physics13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      No Kasart is right, you can end up deaf and with vertigo which would be horrific. I already have vertigo after reading internet forums and pubmed studies.
      Please note the pubmed researchers never write about the horrific deaths and damages that their experiments can cause often and they aren't proven to work which is why they aren't clinical practice right?
      doctors are human, often they go into medicine because they can't make it in mathematics or physics and want money. even the greatest mathematician cannot make a pubmed study work

19. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @physics13 As long your comfortable with you decision thats all that matters. I really hope things get better for you soon. The below is not me trying to debate you, i just thought you might offer some clarification.

As far as im aware, Pubmed are not the ones who do the actual research maybe they do in some instances but not the majority. I believe they are a database that relays or reviews information for different scientific journals. Do you mean that they leave out the research that shows negative side effects, or completely disregard studies done that show negative side effects? And if yes to either of this, is there a reason for it, any articles you can point me to that supports this? Thanks in advance.

20. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Thanks for the info. Usually "incisions" through tympanic membranes are performed for more serious surgery to access the middle ear or drain fluid. Injection of chemicals are often done by hypodermic needles. Interestingly, they did incisions instead...did they ever state why? Sounds like tubes were put in for the experiment. I'm sorry it wasn't productive.
      Fortunately, there are new agencies monitoring and providing society the corruption behind closed doors between FDA and big pharma. companies. This link may provide a better understanding of how things work between them (within USA) and how published research are now becoming questionable. Check out the whole site.
      http://www.anh-usa.org/big-pharma-and-fda-a-marriage-not-made-in-heaven/#more-12525
      http://www.anh-usa.org/once-again-the-fda-deliberately-keeps-us-in-the-dark-about-bad-science/

• Like Like x 1
    21. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      They just said this is how the procedure is, the did the incision, the ents words, and then injected the am101 through the hole. Never actually explained why they did it this way from what i remember.
      Thanks @sakrt, I will admit i had high hoped for the trial but i am doing better then i was anyway.

Thanks for the links i will look into them as soon as i have a chance.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      This clinical trial does not appear anymore on clinical trials registry platforms. But I did a search on the net with the title "Safety and Efficacy of Intratympanic Application of Dexamethasone Via Catheter in Patients With SHL" and I found this link, which is a systematic review:
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1808869415001895

PDF file attached.

Attached Files: