Salicylic Acid and Tinnitus: Is It Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Stan House, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Stan House
      Sad

Stan House Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2015
      Two months ago (end of May 2015) I used something called WartStick (40% salicylic acid) to remove a wart on a ring finger. It worked well, got rid of the wart ... and the next day the ringing in my ears started. It has been loud and nonstop ever since. My GP (and the ENT the GP sent me to) don't think the wart stuff caused it, but I think the timing is just too coincidental. If it was the salicylic acid, when is it supposed to get better and the tinnitus would go away? It's been two months and I am getting worried that this might be permanent! The ENT did an audiogram and it shows a mild hearing loss in both ears at the high frequencies, which happens with age (I am 66).

2. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Coincidence. You have "burned the wart u supposed, so the acid has not entered your body.

And finger to ears is a pretty long way.

So it's a coincidence. Your hearing loss is the cause i think.

3. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      Most definitely not a coincidence. That is how my tinnitus got worse too - salicylic acid.

4. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      Good question. I would say it is related because of the timing but then I would also say it might not be related as we eat a lot of food with salicylates in them.

5. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      I agree with your GP. I think it was a coincidence. I don’t know how an acid on your skin, such a salicylic acid, that is barely being absorbed into you system, would cause tinnitus. I would look for another culprit. Although you may likely not find it unless you have some measurable hearing loss.

According to my otologist, there are many things that can cause tinnitus and you almost never know what it is (except hearing loss), but I am sure he would agree that salicylic acid would not be one of them.

I would see an ENT and get your hearing checked.