Steroids: Prednisone / Dexamethasone / Others (Oral and Injections)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by tweak, Apr 23, 2012.

1. VaR
      Question it

VaR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection/ETD (don't know exact cause)
    2. downtongirl

downtongirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2013
      My tinnitus fluctuates...it started out as a pure tone in my left ear in june 2013 and this late summer it changed to more of a hiss and more so in my right ear....for most of October/November it was very low and now (over the past couple of weeks) the pure tone is coming back in both ears in addition to the hiss. It is worse in the evening and at night. I am probably going to start trt and sound therapy in January.

3. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown

Your T stops with steroids (cortisone) ? I have similar results with cortisone my hearing change at all.
      H and HF T stop. Remains only low volume medium/low frequency T.
      I can modulate this T with middle ear air pressure changes.
      If i more than 30mg methylprednisolone my T stops completely.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

@1MW That is crazy that the meds suppress it permanently. I've had corticosteroid injections into the muscle for my eczema with usually no side effect to my hearing though this last one amped up my tinnitus and it never went back down to baseline. Now I can't say for sure it was the Kenalog but I know it wasn't there before I took it.

Do you think a doctor would prescribe you a permanent dosage of prednisone? Afaik 30mg isn't a crazy amount and they do give it to people with autoimmune diseases as a lifelong treatment. Lower would be better but it depends on your body weight.. yeah there are trade offs especially with regards to your immune system but if your T is really bothersome to you... man I'd love to be able to take a pill to make it go away!

5. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      30mg methylprednisolone is not low dose.
      You can not live in this dose. In 6mg every second day perhaps you can live but 6mg to me don't work.
      6mg is given for lifetime every second day after organ transplantation.
      I don't need prescription in my country i can get almost all medicines without prescription except narcotics(benzos etc).
      1 box/pack methyprednisolone (medrol) costs about 3 euros is very cheap.

6. Rudy

Rudy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Post ear lavage tinnitus.
      Can steroids be used to help T caused by loud music? (hearing test normal/exam normal)
      Saw 2 different ENT's and they didn't mention it. Might make a follow up appointment to check.

7. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe you can try some natural anti inflammatory supplements like Curcumin, Quercetin, Bromelain, Pycnogenol?

8. EddyLee
      Tolerant

EddyLee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      From what i read, intratympanic steroid injection or oral steroid could be effective for acoustic trauma with hearing loss. Without hearing loss the chance might be lower but you need to try this asap from onset for the steroid to work.

9. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      I have a question. At some point my doctor prescribed me a prednisone MEDPAK for my neck issues. I did not take it as I was afraid of side effects. I wonder if after 6 months of dealing with Tinnitus I would gain anything from taking it? First time when I was offered it was 1.5 weeks after I got my T and from what i have read it was already too late so i did not take it. Mostly I am afraid to take it due to my autoimmunie disease against my thyroid I just found out about.
      Any thoughts?

10. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Started A Week After A Cold
      My T started in m left ear on the 25/11/2014, it happened couple days after getting a cold which I had for 2 weeks,
      I did a CT scan and other tests, the ENT said that my hearing was normal
      I started taking prednisolone 4 days ago, the ENT told me to take the following dosage 5 weeks after getting the T

20mg for 3 days
      15mg for 2 days
      10 mg for 1 day
      5mg for 1 day

yesterday I felt as if the volume I was hearing in my left ear went down and then back up (within couple of seconds) whilst I was in a restaurant, with a spike of T, thereafter my T changed frequency to a higher frequency 10Khz-14Khz but at a low level, before that it was at the 8Khz frequency.

I am not sure if this is due to the steroids or other medication I am taking
      I have been taking betaserc 16mg three times a day for the past month in addition to neurobin for the past month

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. calidude209

calidude209 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/24/2014
      I'm surprised some of u guys can visit ent within 3-4 days.days ago I called two ents and they both told me not till the month of feb.i still do have the apt with medical doctor on the 7th of jan.hopefully it doesn't take a month to see ent after medical doctor.

• Creative Creative x 1
    12. depth77

depth77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If anyone can please advise,

What is the recommended dosage and duration for prednisone?

thank you for any answers

13. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I can achieve good silence with some other drugs and i don't want to stop them for unknown effect probably worsening.
      My current meds are lorazepam + corticosteroids + pentoxyfilline + piracetam + b1/b3/b6/b12/e + magnesium +
      aminoacids + random other drugs like betahistine / tinnitus formula / 5-htp and more

I have seen clear difference from corticosteroids / lorazepam (iam in the way to cut off/lowering dosage) / pentoxyfilline+piracetam others did not make a difference but i take them.
      With these drugs i have seen more improvement than trobalt alone and the difference is big.
      Example lorazepam has acute effect 1 hour later and lasts for 4 hours corticosteroids have effect 12 later and lasts for 18-36 hours + pentoxyfilline+ piracetam have effect 1.5 hour later and lasts for 2 hours.

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @1MW What corticosteroids do you take? Are they injections or pills? How long can you safely use corticosteroids? Thanks!

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I get dexamethasone in liquid or methylprednisolone in pills.
      Safely.. safely and corticosteroids does not exist.
      People that get transplantation get 8mg methylprednisolone every second day for lifetime.
      I get 16-24mg every day or every second day.
      I get near a month now and i have started to see side effects.
      Iam in the way to taper and stop completely corticosteroids and lorazepam
      but it is very difficult to me because with these meds i have a lot of time 0db T
      so it is dificult to habituate T if the previous day you had silence.
      I must stop both meds asap but iam addicted to NO T.

• Informative Informative x 3
    16. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I understand. I believe corticosteroids can be hard on your adrenal glands. I had a steroid injection recently to my lower back and it seemed to calm down my noise for a day... probably worked on my CNS. I suppose lorazepam is okay to take long term, but some say not. I have clonazepam and diazepam that I take, but try not to mix them together.

17. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      Prednisone is very strong - the side effects are broad and powerful. One of the few things that it pretty important to have a doctor's oversight on. Stay safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How did you choose the meds you take? was it prescribed by an ENT or neurologist?

I am on my 7th week of T, no change in it so far, I have tried moving my neck, jaw to see if it is TMJ related and even visited a physiotherapist to check the different pressure points in the body and nothing affect the level of T?

Hence if I am to try some of these meds, should I first see a neurologist?

I am currently on

Betaserc 16mg every 8 hours
      and taking neurobin for B12

my T started after a flue with no damage to hearing upto 8Khz I am yet to conduct a test upto 14 or 16Khz

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      no doctor prescibed this now prescribed in past.
      I take myself the drugs in my country are cheap and the most of them don't need prescription.
      You have fresh T and no corticosteroids (my opinion big mistake) ? Go to another doctor the problem can not wait because if nerve cells die can not be reborn.
      betaserc & neurobion & b12 are near to placebo don't do nothing to most people.
      First when i got T with corticosteroids from 1st day stopped when i lowered corticosteroids
      came back but no so intense so every time seen worsening got corticosteroids.
      I don't leave alone my T if i see worsening without corticosteroids.
      Yesterday i had 10/10 T & H i got 24mg methylprednisolone 12 hours latter iam 0/10 & low H
      The side affects from chronic use i know are huge but for me T & H worsening is cause to suicide
      thats the reason why iam taking toxic meds.
      That is for me i don't know for you ask your doctor but 1-2 weeks corticosteroids will not harm you.
      If it is not to late they will work from 1st week.
      For acute unknown origin tinnitus gold standart therapy are corticosteroids all clinic trials
      prove this.

20. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @1MW I took Prednisone 2 weeks ago but small dosage
      3 days 20mg
      2 days 10mg
      1 day 5mg

But there was no change is Prednisone and corticosteroids the same?

I had H at the start of my T but seems to have resolved although I do feel some pain in my left ear from time to time which is the ear I have my T at

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    21. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Prednisone is a corticosteroid.
      I think you got low dose.Prednisone is less potent from methylprednisolone.
      From my experiments 16mg prednisone does not go to ear.
      24mg methylprednisolone or 4mg dexamathasone have more changes to concentrate in inner ear.
      I got in first appearance of T much bigger dose 120mg methylprednisolone for 10 days (I had snhl)
      and then taper.
      Corticosteroids does not work for all and to work must be taken almost immediacy from onset.
      When you loose time you loose changes for recovery.
      Is the same that do water when a forest has taken fire.
      If you throw water first moments of fire you will save the forest.. if you loose time the more forest will burn.
      With this small dose of prednisone have you seen any difference ?

22. Mo_Mo

Mo_Mo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      25/11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @1MW should I see an ENT or neurologist for this?
      I still have stock of Gupisone prednisone should I take 60mg then taper down or is it too late now, been 7 weeks

23. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I don't know if it is too late probably..
      If i was on you side i would take 2 days 60mg each day and i will observed if some improvement exists.If improvement i will continue for some some if not i will stop but very long time passed.Realistic you have very low changes for come back.
      The more changes are that will not do anything but 2 days does not have side effects.
      You must see neurotologist not simple ent , ents are for mucus doesn't know in deep ear problems.

24. Rayden151

Rayden151 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi 1MW,

How many courses of prednisone have you had? Did you have any side effects while on these short courses? What time interval was there between your prednisone courses?

25. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I have a lot courses. I got side effects but was temporary after stopping i recovered.
      My case is not like yours. I get corticosteroids when i get increased T.
      I got first time corticosteroids some years ago when i got sudden hearing loss & T and iam getting now.
      The fist time it saved my hearing & stopped T.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. Rayden151

Rayden151 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ah I see, do they think you have some autoimmune inner ear disease? How much hearing loss do you have?
      Its interesting to see that it works for you.
      Im quite astonished by the fact that if we compare countries they give different advise in cases of SSHL and NIHL.

27. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      I had 20 to 60db hearing loss from 20hz to 8khz
      after corticosteroids i got back my hearing to max 10db hearing loss from 20hz to 8khz.

Now i have maximum 10db hearing loss from 20hz to 8khz and after 8khz i have much more hearing loss.
      Now i have very high frequency hearing loss.
      I don't know if it is autoimmune i don't think that is autoimmune.
      Corticosteroids express a lot of genes is not only antinflammatory properties the mechanism of action of corticosteroids is very very very complex and uknown.
      For example in allergies cortisteroids work in nerve compression work in autoimmune work in ETD work
      in acoustic trauma work (nmda antagonist).
      So i don't know the real cause i know that corticosteroids work to me.
      I tested and other drugs and that work also like RTG NAC creatine piracetam and more...

28. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      How much time apart is it advisable to have prednisone cycles. Is 1-2 months enough in between? I usually take them when I have major spikes which I had in the beginning of December. But just a few days ago I've been struggling again and I'm wondering if long enough time has passed in between (one and a half months)?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. TomKA
      Thinking

TomKA Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2004 -> 03/2014
      @1MW if corticosteroids do change or temporary shut off your tinntius it may come from inflammation or is in some part somatic tinnitus (neck/back pain/muscle tension), have you thought about that?

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      Well whenever I have taken corticosteroids it has reduced the noise right down by the third day but then when i stop it comes back. Surely there cannot be inflammation after all this time? No ENT has said anything except everything looks normal in the ear but of course they have only looked with their little torch etc...

• Helpful Helpful x 1