Earwax Removal (Syringing)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dave D, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Dave D
      Studious

Dave D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Does anyone know anything about the odds of syringing ears helping to either fix or subdue tinnitus? My tinnitus primarily came from going to gigs, but is there a chance it could help?

As I have heard some say it made theirs worse...

2. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hey Dave I don't think syringing will make your t go if it was caused by noise exposure. If there is ear wax and you get that cleared it could lower the volume of t. Prob won't cure it though. Some people have gotten t from routine syringing as well so be careful.

3. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      1/1000 that it becomes worse i think

markuu got T this way

4. Crispin70

Crispin70 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      After having a bit of interference in my left ear and a bit of ear ache a few weeks ago, I went to the doctor who said I needed ear irrigation, right ear only.
      Went back a week later and had it done. Within an hour full blown tinnitus began in both ears, like a high pitched whistle blasting straight through my head every second of the day or night.
      That was a week ago, it has neither increased nor decreased and I still have a bit of very mild earache from time to time, but now it's in both ears.
      A bit of popping in my right ear at night and crackling started in my right ear today!
      I went back to the doctor yesterday and they can't see anything wrong in my ears so I've been referred to ENT.
      Obviously this will take weeks so in the meantime I have read that it may be blocked Eustachian Tubes.
      Any thoughts anyone?
      Advice on any types of possible relief that could lessen the tinnitus? Also why the ear irrigation should set off this awful racket which is stopping me sleeping or enjoying any quiet moments at all!

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Wow, that's what amazes me the most. You go to the doctor, they brake you and then you have to fight it and no one is responsible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      AM101 Steroids, Nac, ALA, vitamin a e and c ...

7. cmkc109

cmkc109 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Hello everyone,

I had ringing in my ear since last week. The doctor told me to use oil to clean it up for a week and come back after a week. Today, she cleaned the ear wax with syringing. However, the ringing sound is still here.
      I cannot hear this sound when I am outside as it is masked by everything else. But when i am at home, I can hear a screening sound which is quite annoying. So I am wondering, does it take a couple hours before the ringing sound to disappear after syringing? I was dizzy for about 10 secs after the syringe but I feel normal right after that.

8. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      I strongly advise that you stop syringing, the only way that I get my ears cleaned is by a quailfied ENT manually under a scope. No syringing and NEVER NEVER with suction.

Louie

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. benny
      Depressed

benny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      i have experienced a very similar thing to you

i feel like sueing the doctor for mal practice. i had nurses do ear irrigations in the past and they were 100 times more professional and follow procedure compared to that doctor i went to

did the doctor prescribe you with ear drops before carrying out the ear irrigation?

10. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Does flushing ear wax cause tinnitus? Permanently? Temporarily? I'm so afraid now that my T came because of flushing my ears..

Can flushing your ears cause tinnitus?? I have been hearing constantly since they attempted to flush my ear.on 11/7/14 but they did not continue as I got dizzy because I was tired from no sleep and the water was a little cold. I went back on 11/11/14 and they were able to flush my ears. Ringing still continued.. I'm so worried now that my t came from this after I got some feedback on my most recent post I made on facebook.

11. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      You wouldn't be the first :(

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    12. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I'm assuming it . happened to you @Amelia ?

Is your t still present? What did you do

13. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I didn't do syringing. Sutter general hospital using a spray bottle now. So cleaning out ear wax can cause t? I saw somewhere it can be temporary. I'm sure this isn't true after reading numerous stories about T..Anyone experience this?

14. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I acquired my tinnitus from having my ears syringed.

I went to the office tinnitus-free, left with buzzing ears.

Coincidental, I don't think so.

But it is quite rare.

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/detalhe_artigo.asp?id=462

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Tinnitus is best diagnosed in conjunction with events. Tinnitus cannot be diagnosed directly, and so the events leading up to the tinnitus presenting itself, are the best clues to the cause.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Sorry, not me - although I've heard of several stories of syringing causing T on this forum.
      Mine was caused via nasal douching/nasal wash. Did it one night and it hurt, my ears started to find and they haven't stopped :(

17. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Through the years I've begged the doctors to look in and see if there was anything, or even wax. I've had them cleaned several times - it neither helped nor hurt me. Once I was in the ER because I was riding my bike and thought a bug flew into my ear. The doc said there was only a little bit of wax. Now I get it all the time - Hyperacusis. So maybe I shouldn't have had my ears cleaned out so much. Who knows?
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

18. Mollie

Mollie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      A few years ago I developed bad tinnitus that was actually alleviated by having the wax syringed from my ear. The same thing happened last year, with the same alleviation. But this year my tinnitus did not lift with the wax syringing, and the doctor at the hospital says that I must not have the wax removed that way again. But in any case, this tinnitus has lasted longer and seems more related to phlegm or an infection. I am having an MRI scan this week just to be sure it isn't a tumour.

19. dboy
      Jaded

dboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2007 & 8/2013
      @Amelia, sorry to hear about this. Also interested to hear a little more if possible as I practice nasal douching myself occasionally. I'm pretty sure it has not caused me a problem in the past but I'd like to be sure I do not damage myself in the future. Where there any unusual circumstances around your incident? Did you have any issues with your Eustachian tubes at the time? Thanks for any info you have. (Interestingly, it was an ENT that originally advised me to douche during a consultation about my earlier milder tinnitus.)

20. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Kaycee

The reason that you felt dizzy is due to the temperature difference on the inner ear from the cold water or Hydrogen peroxide that was used in to flush out the earwax. It has nothing to due with lack of sleep. Its very unlikely that you caused any permanent damage from it. But in the future you should avoid using syringing and flushing to clean out your ear wax. The worst is when suction is used, that should NEVER be done. Once again, have it done by an ENT manually. It will take time but your tinnitus should recover back to your baseline in a few days, so hang in there, and stay away from loud sounds.

Good Luck

Louie

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Thanks @quietatnight :)

This earwax flush was done in November and the ringing has not stopped since then any success stories you've heard that it has from ear wax flushing?

22. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Kaycee

Yes, I have had my earwax flushed out many times when I was younger, and even had suction once, that's when I figured out that it was not a good idea, and switched to manual removal. I recovered from all of that, including the ENT that used suction on me. That was much worse then your irrigation and I recovered from that as well. But it took a long time, about 3 or 4 months. You just had it done a month ago in November, so its still early. So you need to give it more time, and try and get you mind on others things. It's not like you went to a heavy rock concert for 5 hours. Try and stay positive and hang in there. This will pass in time its just a small spike, and its good for you to keep telling yourself that, it helps with the healing process.

Louie

23. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hope for your sake @kaycee that @quietatnight is right, I don't want to scare you or anything but I had suction on my ears in March of this year and my Tinnitus is still elevated from it.

Biggest mistake of my life with T!

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. benny
      Depressed

benny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Hello

I am a 25 year old male and have chronic tinnitus for the past 5 months. I am struggling with the ringing and have already spent considerable money on treatments.

my story begins. i woke up 6 months ago and heard a high pitched tone. i waited a week and then went to a local GP. the GP looked at my ears and said that they were heavily impacted with wax. she then proceeded to irrigate my left ear. i felt that the irrigation took a long time and occasionally during the procedure i felt a couple of pinching pains and pulled my head back. i also found the water fairly cold. after carrying out that irrigation she looked at my right ear and said to use drops and come back in a week.

the irrigation without ear drops took more than 5 mins while the ear with drops took about 1 min.
      i have got my ears irrigated in the past but the nurses who did it would not irrigate until a week of drops was carried out. i felt very worried leaving the office in case the GP had damaged my ear.

i went back the week later and the GP irrigated my second ear. I still had ringing and in fact i found the sound was worse after the irrigation. i found the ringing in the ear that was irrigated without the use of drops was much worse.

i went back to the GP and met a different doctor a week after. he looked at my ear and said there was now fluid behind the my left ear and he put me on steroids to drain it out.

I got my hearing tested and i have no measurable hearing loss i have no hearing loss greater than 5db. i in fact have 0 dB hearing at some of the higher frequencies. i was then referred to an ENT and was in with him for only 10 mins and got no information, he only said do i want an MRI.

the ringing in the ear that was irrigated without the use of drops is irritating me heavily i can hear it during the day as well as night. my other ear dose not bother me during the day.

can irrigating ears without the pressure of drops cause tinnitus. my ear drum was not perforated but can the act of water hitting the ear drum damage the ossicles or in any way physically damage the ear causing tinnitus. i completely regret going to the GP and she irrigating my left ear without drop as i am worried that this caused my tinnitus. since that day i have spent 1000 euro on different appointments including acupuncture. This Tinnitus is causing me a serious problem and i have recently just started a new job and the tinnitus is effecting me. will it ever go i am only 26 and honestly feel like i am going to have to stop work because of it.

Can tinnitus by carrying out an irrigation without the pre use of softening drops? what is the standard procedure for irrigation? i dont accept that its ok and i just have to say it was just bad luck and to get on with it. living with this is very hard, i am only 26 now and i cant see myself living the next 50 years with this. there is no doubt about it but tinnitus is chronic pain, its a chronic disorder that causes chronic pain, i cant enjoy life and to me its down to a GP simply not following procedure.

thank you for taking the time to read my query

please i need help, if someone can help me answer this question

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. I have spoken out at a BTA convention about this, after ENT consultant gave out dangerous advice about this. He did say sorry after. THIS IS Victorian treatment, and one of my biggest worries. I stopped my local GP practice from doing it as I was seeing such a huge increase in my small town getting T after having it done. This barbaric practice MUST NEVER EVER be carried out by a practice nurse. Only a trusted ENT Dr should ever do it, IF it needs to be done. I have seen grown men brought to tears after that this has ruined their lives. IT MUST STOP

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. tinnitussufferer
      Angry

tinnitussufferer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2004
      theres no such thing as manual removal. Show me someonne who does that

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Manual removal of earwax is also effective. This is most often performed by an otolaryngologist (ent) using suction, special miniature instruments, and a microscope to magnify the ear canal. Manual removal is preferred if your ear canal is narrow, the eardrum has a perforation or tube, other methods have failed, or if you have diabetes or a weakened immune system. Do they still use leaches, maybe they are our cure? :eek:

28. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      How did the suction damage you? Did it spike your sounds? Create new sounds?

29. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NO NO NO

Tinnitussuffer ( wrote )

"theres no such thing as manual removal. Show me someonne who does that"

My ENT does...

Maybe "Manual" is not the perfect word to describe the procedure, but its what My ENT calls it. Suction on the other hand is done with a machine, That maybe the reason why its called "Manual". the term is really irrelevant anyway, it's clear what is meant.

I get it done all of the time, just about every year, and its done with a small tool with a curve at the end called a "curette", under a "otoscope" (a handheld tool with a light). Their is NO SYRINGING, NO FLUSHING, NO EAR CANDELING, and, NO SUCTION. Its a manual way to extract the wax, in perfect silence, especially impacted wax. With NO threat to the ear's or hearing at all, and is the ONLY way that I will allow an ENT it do it. PERIOD...It has nothing to do with "a narrow canal, or the eardrum has a perforation or tube, other methods have failed, or if you have diabetes or a weakened immune system". that ( Neverloosehope ) wrote.

It's all about "protecting the ears".

I don't know how else to say this. I have had this procedure done manually at many different locations, with many different ENT's. All you need to do is ask, if he ENT says "I don't know what you mean" Then Get up and LEAVE, you don't pass goal and collect your $ 200 dollars. Just Leave and go to another ENT who cares about your hearing.

Sorry, but I take this subject very seriously, and you should too. Please don't take any chances, its just NOT worth the price.

Louie

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      "Ear syringing" is a blind procedure; I doubt it makes much difference to the outcome whether it is carried out by a nurse or a doctor.

Other than that, I would agree entirely.

• Agree Agree x 1