Temazepam

Discussion in 'Support' started by J M, Mar 18, 2013.

1. J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all,

Are benzos bad for your ear health?

I have tried ativan and temazepam on occasions for tinnitus related sleep issues, and these drugs seem to make my tinnitus a bit louder the next day, and the temazepam tends to make my ears a bit more sensitive to sound.

I know benzo withdrawal can cause ear problems, but I don't have any withdrawal issues since I don't take these meds often.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe it's a brain issue.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi all,

How much of this benzo can a person take (15mg pills) in one week without worrying about dependency?

My doctor says I can take it every night, and one pharmacist was inclined to agree, but another pharmacist said that it should be taken no longer than two to three times per week.

Also, is ativan any safer than temazapam?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can someone change the title of my thread from trazodone to temazepam?

I goofed.

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I changed the title as per request.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temazepam#Tolerance_and_physical_dependence

I wouldn't myself take it every day... I'd be comfortable with 1-2 times per week. Three at the very maximum, but the above-linked Wiki-article is interesting:

In use longer than 1–2 weeks, tolerance will frequently develop towards the ability of temazepam to maintain sleep, so that the drug loses effectiveness.[18]

Some studies have observed tolerance to temazepam after as little as one week's use.[19]

Another study examined the short-term effects of the accumulation of temazepam over 7 days in elderly inpatients, and found that little tolerance developed during the accumulation of the drug.[20]

Other studies examined the use of temazepam over six days and saw no evidence of tolerance.[21][22]

A study in 11 young male subjects showed that significant tolerance occurs to temazepam's thermoregulatory effects and sleep inducing properties after 1 week of use of 30 mg temazepam. Body temperature is well correlated with the sleep inducing or insomnia promoting properties of drugs.[23]

In one study the drug sensitivity of people who had used temazepam for 1–20 years was no different from that of controls.[24]

An additional study, in which at least one of the authors is employed by multiple drug companies, examined the efficacy of temazepam treatment on chronic insomnia over three months and saw no drug tolerance, with the authors even suggesting that the drug might become more effective over time.[25][26][27]

Interesting that some studies show evidence of it quickly developing tolerance, other studies not so much.

Maybe take Temazepam for the worst of the nights and melatonin/valerian or something like that for the rest, if needed?

You should also check out Remeron (Mirtazapine), some people here have used it for sleep problems and it's worked wondrously. I'd take Remeron any day over Temazepam... especially if the need is continuous.

Markku

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Actually, I did try Remeron back in December, and it damaged my hearing. When I awoke from sleep, my left ear was partially deaf with a roaring sound, and my right ear had suffered damage as well.

To beat it all, I only ingested about 2mg of a 30 mg pill!

7. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Are you absolutely sure it couldn't have been something else?

Nothing else coincided with it?

Dear goodness if Remeron was the cause. I'm so sorry.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, I'm positive is was Remeron that caused the damage.

I made a horrible mistake of ingesting the drug after researching this and other tinnitus forums. I should have known that since my ears were already injured by infection that something like Remeron could make things worse. According to the Center for Hearing Loss (Dr. Neil Bauman), Remeron can damage your ears in no less than eight different ways. I found that out after the fact.

My advice for tinnitus patients is to be careful about ingesting antidepressants if your ear health is already compromised. I paid a heavy price for a few hours of sleep.

9. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Temazepam very quickly builds a tolerance and after only one or two nights on it if you dont take it the third night you can (will) get 'rebound insomnia'. It works fantastic but makes you and addict and your normal sleep patterns are gone within a short time of taking this. I think it should only be prescribed two or three at a time after something like a bereavement.

And in answer to the question; Benzos have a huge reputation for causing T upon withdrawl.

Benzos are addictive and dont work for very long at the same dose, that means taking more and more. Its a great pity as their initial effect is fantastic. To be saved only for desperate times I think.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, I've heard of what they can do if one develops dependency on benzos.

I have tried Temazepam twice so far in the past three weeks. The 15mg dose I was given was not very sedating. I had to take half of a Unisom to knock me out. Temazepam also left me feeling a bit depressed.

11. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi JM,

I wouldnt touch them, only maybe once a week if that. Its the Rebound Insomnia you have to look out for if taking them ad-hoc and if you're taking them every night you will need a higher and higher dose. When I first got them my doctor told me that a lady had started on 10mgs (the amount I had) but now needed 100mg every night to sleep.

I must say though 10mg knocked me out, until I got used to even the one a week I was taking, but then it still relaxed me loads.

I take Remeronn as I heard about it on this board and 7.5mg still, 4 months later, drops me like a stone. I read in my Ototoxic Drugs book that they are low risk. However, I'd be interested to know about the 8 ways they can damage your ears as told to you by your doc. In that same book I have most of the Benzos come up as a higher risk and there is a chapter on the dangers of Benzos and their withdrawl.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My doctor did not tell me that, I got it from my ototoxic drugs book by Dr. Bauman.

Cochlear:
      Hearing loss
      Hyperacusis
      Tinnitus

Vestibular:
      Ataxia
      Dizziness
      Nystagmus
      Vertigo

Outer/middle ear:
      Earache / ear pain
      Otitis media (infection)

13. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I have that same book. Almost all drugs are in there and are listed as causing most of the above. For Mirtazapine though the percentages were small; 0.1 - 1%. If you're one of those 1% though that's small consolation. I dont think there's a drug that isnt in that book as having potential for causing damage to the hearing system.

14. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Is it further differentiated in the book whether a percentage is meant to depict permanent or temporary tinnitus? Well, nobody can say that for sure, but more in a sense of "more likely to be permanent or temporary..."

I wonder if I have asked about this before from you... I don't remember, but I have a feeling I have.

Just asking that because the majority of the drugs that are able to cause tinnitus, it's usually temporary in nature which resolves on its own after the drug is no longer taken. There are these super bad drugs, but generally speaking wouldn't we say that in most cases the effects are temporary?

I would think that Remeron don't cause permanent tinnitus/hearing loss for every 100th or 1000th person. It could be a figure for temporary tinnitus, and within that percentage probably is an x amount of permanent changes.

Still, a 1% percentage of something (in this case it begins at 0,1% but I'm now just going for the sake of conversation) is a lot to me.
      I've always thought that once a person has tinnitus (/hearing loss), they are more predisposed to further worsening of tinnitus/hearing loss. It really sucks to be afraid of it getting worse. I am. We have too many people here who've had manageable tinnitus and then it's become a monster.

I will need to get my hands on that book sooner or later. I don't currently need the information myself, but it would be a good source to advise others.

Anyway, J M has had too much bad luck. Unbelievable :(

15. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No, you havent asked me that before :) It doesnt give an indication as to whether the figures relate to temporary or permanent. After each drug there are anecdotal stories and mostly peoples symptoms go away some time after they stop the drug. I cant personally see how hearing loss resolves but according to the book that happens.

The book does say what you have, that once the ears are damaged they are more vulnerable to further damage. I've been trying not to think about it. He gives a 'Risk Assessment' from 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest and this Risk Assessment is based on the severity of the symptom and the percentage of people who got it. It gives a big section on how bad benzos are, no necessarily for damage to hearing but for the rest of it with them.

Pregabalin is a risk 4, which is high :(

I had asked in another email somewhere a while ago if I could post it on the site somewhere so everyone could look, but I guess even if that's possible its breaking copyright?

When you say that people have it manageable then its become a monster do you know the causes of why it got so much worse? Thats the biggest fear for me as its already gotten worse a few times since I've had it. Is it just going to go on? Sick of it tonight :(

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks, Markku. I am not feeling to well today after an unexpected spike.

Sometimes, I wish I could go check in to the local hospital and stay awhile. It sure would be nice if *could* try an SSRI without fear of it doing more damage to my hearing.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      J M

J M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      In the past three weeks, I have taken about 8 (15mg) temazepam capsules, but not in successive nights. A few days ago, I went to sleep with no temazepam, and I went straight into REM sleep. It was not restful at all, but the following night was much better.

One thing I do like about the drug is its ability to calm down my tinnitus. It works better than ativan I think.

18. bob bauer

bob bauer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss- medication
      I take 2mg lorazepam, 15mgs temazepam and tapering remeron at 9.45mgs. Is that okay?