Tennis with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Telis, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Anyone else here play? I can't wear ear protection, it screws up my game, I feel clumsy and out of it.

Question is...is it too loud? When I hit the ball hard, it makes a pop sound that is painful to my ears, it seems to make my ear muscles tense up and get full. Is this doing damage? I don't know what I can and can not do as far as doing further damage.

Or maybe there is a ear plug that offers protection but not to the degree of of foam plugs so I can hear what is happening?

I am frustrated, I want to play sports more now than ever now that I have T but not being able to hear the game seems impossible.

2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      If you have bullet shaped ear plugs such as Hearos, cut the back end approx. 3/4 off and stick the remaining cone shape tip into your ears. That should provide plenty of protection from the 'pow' sound the ball makes hitting the racket, while still giving you enough hearing to keep you balanced.
      I know, it sucks to no end.
      I don't think it cause "damage" to your ears, but it hurts 'cause we have hyperacusis.
      A friend of mine also recommended these babies;
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032BYCWG/?tag=tinntalk-20

• Like Like x 1
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I dont think tennis should do any damage.. Maybe put cotton in your ears?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Hey Dan. Thanks for the tips...I actually have those exact plugs. They work great except for sports, they seem to come loose when I start to sweat.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I think I might try cotton, just worried about pieces coming off and getting logged in my ear. And I'm not sure they would stay in. Guess I will have to try.

Thanks

6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      i say go with half plugs

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      I would love to hear if Dr Nagler has heard of these high impact exercise issues.

I have read recently that if you are doing jumping jacks, running, tennis, or bouncing your head in any way as part of your workout you should probably stop doing that because you are creating infrasound waves inside of your cochlea that could be causing more damage to your delicate cilia cells. Wearing earplugs evidently makes the infrasound worse. Infrasound occurs when the cochlea is shaken repeatedly for long durations. Normally, ears detect a noise vibration and the brain interprets the vibration as sound. However, with infrasound there is no noise stimuli. It is the fluid in the cochlea being moved back and forth due to being shaken repeatedly.

Some medical providers do not know about the infrasound phenomenon and so they generally recommend cardiovascular workouts for tinnitus patients....not sure what to think but I have quit tennis until I hear otherwise.

I have also heard for some, the bouncy, jolting movements can disrupt otoconia crystals in the inner ear, leading to ear damage such as hearing loss or tinnitus. Some exercises to avoid are football, soccer, running and volleyball.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thank you for this post...I have worried about this as well. I am a big person and I can hear/feel the affects of stomping around, especially with ear plugs in. My gut has been telling me to quit even though it kills me to do so.

Very informative. Thank you again

9. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Yes I hear it too when stomping or running around and it freaks me out a bit, but I still would love to hear this from a reliable source before I quit totally.
      Here is a link to it

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/06/us/inner-ear-may-take-beating-from-high-impact-aerobics.html

"You might be surprised to learn that certain exercises can cause or worsen tinnitus. Through a research study, Dr. Michael I. Weintraub of the New York Medical College discovered that there may be an association between high-impact aerobics and hearing dysfunctions. The jarring of the head that occurs in high-impact aerobics causes the otoconia, calcium crystals in our ears, to be jarred out of their normal places, causing inner ear problems. If you have tinnitus, you should avoid any exercises that involve jarring movements and a lot of jumping. High-impact aerobics, running, basketball, football, soccer and volleyball should be done in moderation, if at all."

10. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      Tellis, I have taken the foam 3M plugs, and I cut them in half - lengthwise - so that I have two "half cylinder" ear plugs. I use them when I am on the treadmill. Not full protection, but enough to deaden the sound of a loud treadmill. Might be enough for the tennis noise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Romain B.

Romain B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Up

Is there any danger playing Tennis with Tinnitus ? Cause the other day i made exactly the same noise, a big "Pow/Pop" when the ball hit the racket and it scared me because i found it loud, actually i didn't felt pain but the noise was very unpleasant metallic and loud. After i managed to return the ball gently but still asking myself it was a noise that could do damage to the ears ... If someone knows the thruth about it !

@Telis do you think the pop sound is doing damage ?

12. RicoS
      Alienated

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Perhaps this is just a bit of H most people with T have. I cannot stand when people clap their hands or other semi loud noises. It does not hurt or anything...it just seems to loud. Weird thing is that if I make the noise myself there is no problem, but if I do not expect it ,it seems to loud.
      With noise I do not expect my T spikes for 1 minutes and goes back down after that....

• Like Like x 1
    13. Romain B.

Romain B. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      The same for me. But i was wondering if playing Tennis could cause an acoustic trauma ... I find it ridiculous but i don't really know..

14. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise