TENS Machine

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by click, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      So many things can cause tinnitus, especially if it involves overstimulation of the central auditory nervous system. So hard to say. You were probably fine with the Tens however.
      Just make sure you don't use it too near the auditory nerve on the scalp area.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The auditory nerve is the nerve connecting the inner ear and the brain. How is that on "the scalp area"? Are there more than one auditory nerve?

3. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Electricity cuts through the scalp to the nerve, and the areas surrounding it.

4. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hmm, I see. But isnt the "scalp" the top of your head? English isnt my first language so I might be mistaken though.

5. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      zsUfy6BeXalqdjOXewDfVA_m.jpg

anerv2.gif

6. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      I thought I would revive conversation here. In my case, I've got confirmed diagnoses of somatic pulsatile tinnitus syndrome, and physical therapy has significantly lowered the volume and intensity of my tinnitus. When combined with proper posture overnight, my tinnitus becomes barely noticeable -- but it is not gone.

I have been reading many studies that indicate that SPTS can be cured through the use of TENS units. How would I go about trying to figure out using a TENS unit? My problems are confined to the C2-C6 region.

7. Neilpk

Neilpk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Hi there I am considering purchasing a TENS machine.

My tinnitus has always been somatic in nature I.e it's only in my left ear and when I press on certain parts of my neck, temples and head. Recently it has changed in nature. It has started to sound like a different tones of hissing but is still very much intermittent. Some days are worse than others.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with using TENS machine for somatic tinnitus, if so can anyone give any advice on how might be the best way to use it. Has anyone had any success with this?

Thanks

8. RileyGirl

RileyGirl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2112
      I have suffered typewriter tinnitus for about 5 years (this is a rare tinnitus in that I hear a sound in my ear in response to noise, not in the more usual absence of noise). After seeing 6 doctors and many alternative doctors, I finally found a doctor who understands my type. She put me on Xanax and I use the TENS machine 2x a day. (I did that myself, she did not suggest it. I saw the article and bought one online through Living Social) It took eight months but it is beginning to get better for the first time in five years.

• Like Like x 3
    9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I can't help the feeling that using a TENS is kind of like a tactile variation of the TRT model.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I'm at a high end dental office about to do tens - it would not be placed on the head or the neck. Just on the jaw and upper back. I have a few minutes to decide, I hope someone sees this!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    11. gintas

gintas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015-05
      Did it help?

12. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      No, I think it made me worse. It amplified my electrical tinnitus. I wouldn't recommend it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      I've scoured the internet high and low and these are the only actual instructions I could find for TENS placement for T.

https://tensaustralia.wordpress.com/category/pain-management/

I'm just going to copy and paste the entire article here so that in the event that website becomes inactive at least the information is here.

TENS Tinnitus

TINNITUS AND LOW LEVEL ELECTRONIC STIMULATION
      A recently completed four year preliminary study by the Cochlea Company in Victoria has found low level electrical stimulation could provide temporary relief for people suffering chronic intractable tinnitis.
      The hand held TENS (Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulator) supplies low level electronic stimulation with adjustable pulse rates of 1-4 pulses per second. This combination is ideal for treating chronic tinnitus.

How does low level electronic stimulation work?
      Electronic stimulation works on the same principles as acupuncture – without the pain, risk, inconvenience, or expense. Hand held TENS incorporates two, proven natural modalities in the one unit.
      Transcutaneous Electronic Nerve Stimulation
      T.E.N.S. is used for nerve regeneration, passive muscle exercise, improving blood circulation, and blocking and treating pain.
      Acupuncture
      Stimulation of acupuncture or trigger points clears blocked meridian pathways, increases the white blood corpuscles, and the phagocytic action on germs is increased.

Where to place TENS Unit Pads for treating Tinnitus

1. Behind the ear lobe in the depression between the mastoid bone and the angle of the jaw.
      2. In the hollow formed in the cheek when the mouth is opened.
      3. On the back of the wrist approx 2″ or 5cm
      above the wrist crease between the forearm bones.
      4. On the mound formed when the thumb is pressed against the side of the index finger.
      5. On lop of the foot approx 1′ or 2.5cm above the web of the first and second toe.

Using TENS for TINNITUS
      1 Refer to the chart for tinnitus stimulation points. Points on both side of the body and ears must be stimulated.
      2. Switch the frequency control switch to No 1. This will give you a slow pulse rate of 1 to 2 pulses per second.
      3. Place both terminals in contact with the skin – otherwise no stimulation will be felt. The front terminal is located over the selected point.
      4. Should you have difficulty locating acupuncture or trigger points – wet the skin to aid conductivity.
      5. S-1-o-w-l-y turn the intensity switch on the side of the machine up until you feel a comfortable stimulation.
      6. Do not have to Intensity too high – painful stimulation has no extra benefits. Tinnitus responds better to low pulse rates.
      7. Treat each point for 5 to 10 minutes, 3 – 4 times daily.
      Most people have a point of optimal response, but initially, all points should be stimulated. After a few treatments you may notice one specific point gives you maximum relief – this is your point of optimal response and depending on the degree of relief obtained you may choose to stimulate this point only

In some case the tinnitus may become worse a few days after stimulation. This is fairly common and is due to improved blood circulation. Once normal blood circulation has been restored (usually within a few days) this initial increase in noise should disappear. If after ‘the initial noise increase your symptoms get worse and remains worse cease TENS therapy, or vary location of stimulation. Once relief has been obtained discontinue treatment. If your tinnitus returns intermittently, regular stimulation should be continued.

TENS Unit & Phantom Limb Pain

Amputations often result in both local and ‘Phantom Pains’ — pain which appears to come from the amputated part of the body even though it is no longer there. It is caused by continual irritation of the nerve endings interpreted by the brain as still coming from the removed part. Time usually causes it to become less severe.
      TENS therapy can be a very beneficial adjunct to traditional medicine for the treatment of chronic and acute pain, oedema, poor circulation and muscle wasting due to the amputation.

Electrode placement — Muscle motor points. Place the positive electrode on the site of pain (usually the stump). The negative electrode is placed at the end of a muscle band. If the electrodes are too close together, move the negative electrode to the end of the next muscle band. For radiating pain, place the electrodes along the pain pathway.

Electrode placement — Dermatomes
      The positive electrode is placed on the site of pain (usually the stump). The negative electrode is placed close to the spine within the dermatome (the skin area supplied with nerve fibres by a single posterior spinal root) which has distribution to the source of pain.

TENS Unit Controls

The controls

The amplitude, pulse rate, pulse width and the mode selectors operate independently of each other, but interact to give pain control which is unique to TENS. As individual pain syndromes differ, the controls are adjusted by the patient to a setting which gives him/her optimal comfort and pain relief. There is no benefit in painful stimulation.

The amplitude

The amplitude controls the intensity and the depth of the pulse. The higher the amplitude, the higher the pulse peak and the stronger the pulse. If the unit is to be used on areas of scar tissue or thick skin density, test that, the amplitude is strong enough to penetrate the adipose tissue and cause sufficient stimulation.Low frequency TENS (usually hand held types) have an amplitude range between 0 and 10 milliamp (m.A.). High frequency TENS units range will usually 24 be between 0-100 m.A. Units using NiCad batteries may give out slightly less amplitude.

The pulse width control

The pulse width control governs the width of the pulses. The wider the pulse width the deeper the stimulation. The narrower the pulse width the more shallow the stimulation. Basically, large areas of deep pain require wide pulse widths between 120-200 US, shallow surface pain is best treated with narrow pulse widths between 40-120 US.

A comfortable sensation covering the injured area is the main purpose of the pulse width control. As each patient is an individual with different skin thicknesses and tolerance to pain etc., it is often a matter of trial and error in selecting the optimal pulse width control.

The above instructions are general as pulse width specifications will vary according to the type of TENS selected. Refer to your instruction manual or health practitioner for further specific details.

The Pulse Rate

This controls the number of pulses emitted through the electrodes to the skin. The pulse rate is also referred to as:

1. Frequency.

2. Cycles per second (c.p.s.).

3. Pulses per second (p.p.s.).

A Hertz is a unit of frequency equal to one pulse per second, e.g. 50 Hertz=50 p.p.s.

Which pulse rate (Hertz) should I select?

As a guide, high pulse rates are used for blocking pain (sedation) and low pulse rates are used for treating pain (tonification). Some machines can only be used for chronic pain syndromes, i.e. their range is not high enough to block acute pain signals. Hertz range is a major deciding factor in the selection of TENS.

30 Hertz

Hand-held TENS units have a minimum of 1 Hertz and maximum of 30 Hertz. The extra low frequency has proved to be the most successful in the treatment of arthritic-type pains. The lower the frequency used, the longer the pain relief fasts. This unit is used for chronic pain syndromes.

200 Hertz

Most home use (Walkman type) TENS units will have a pulse rate control within the 1-200 pps range. This has been found to be more than sufficient for most acute and chronic pain syndromes.

500 Hertz

Units with maximum pulse rates of between 1-500 Hertz are initially used with clinical supervision for difficult to treat pain syndromes such as cancer. Many hospitals and clinics are using extra high frequencies for childbirths, dental, post-operative and post-surgical pain. Units with this range can also be used for all pain syndromes by the lay person with very little training.

1000 Hertz

Units on a fixed frequency cycle range of 1000 Hertz or more are mainly used for chemical addictions such as opium, morphine, alcohol, prescribed medicine addictions and nicotine. These machines should be used initially under professional supervision.

Mode selectors

The mode selector is used to alter the sequence of stimulation from a regular conventional continuous waveform, to an irregular one. A conventional TENS ha only one waveform conventional. More sophisticated TENS have a variety mode selectors — burst, modulation and conventional. The wave forms are dialled up automatically by the mode selector control.

A TENS with a selection of waveforms is useful for a patient whose body has adapted itself to the conventional waveform and thus the efficacy of the treatment is reduced. Some patients find switching to burst or modulation mode gives longer pain relief due to the regenerative effect these two waveforms have on the endogenous opiate system.

Some waveforms will provide better pain relief than others. Selection is usually done on a trial and error basis by the patient in the comfort of his own home and at his own pace. The patient will progressively find the waveform which gives him the most pain relief. Try each waveform for at least one day before changing to another as sometimes the beneficial effects are not experienced until treatment has ceased

Conventional waveforms

Conventional waveforms are also known as square or normal waveforms. They are continuous wide-ramped waveforms which emulate a natural muscle movement. Most patients prefer the comfort of the square waveform to start off with as there are no sudden ‘spikes’ of contraction. For acute and chronic pain syndromes.

On conventional TENS units the waveform is fixed by the frequency pulse rate control.

Burst waveform

This is a narrow spiky waveform which consists of approximately seven bursts which are interrupted every 1-3 seconds for a period of 1-3 seconds. The low frequency and fixed pulse width of burst mode increases the tolerance factor for patients using the stimulator for extended periods. For chronic pain syndromes.

Modulation waveform

Modulation waveform automatically varies between wide and narrow in regular cycles. Whilst one waveform is increasing the other is decreasing. This mixed mode provides variation for acute and chronic pain syndromes which may have become accommodated to the conventional waveform.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulationfor Treatment of Tinnitus
      A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Abstract
      Objective:
      To evaluate the treatment efficacy of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) in patients with tinnitus.

Data Sources:
      PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, and Cochrane Library were searched for the following concepts: “Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation” and “Tinnitus.”

Study Selection:
      Inclusion: 1) double- or single-blinded randomized controlled trials; 2) double- or single-blinded randomized comparison trials; 3) prospective or retrospective observational studies; and 4) case series. Exclusion: Non-English studies, nonhuman studies, case reports (n ≤ 5), and review articles.

Data Extraction:
      Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI), the Visual Analog Scale (VAS), and perceived tinnitus suppression after treatment. Additional data collected included tinnitus laterality, duration of symptoms, location of electrode placement, time to follow-up, etiology of tinnitus, and treatment side effects.

Data Synthesis:
      The literature search yielded 2941 unique articles. After reviewing 118 full-text articles, 17 studies reporting on 1,215 patients were included for final analysis. Four studies provided data available for meta-analysis of pre- and posttreatment THI and VAS (Cochrane Review Manager). TENS showed significant overall reduction on THI (–7.55 [–10.93 to –4.18], p < 0.0001) and VAS (–0.65 [–0.99 to –0.30], p < 0.0002). Subjective improvement of tinnituswas pooled across 13 studies using meta-analysis of proportions (MedCalc). Tinnitus suppression occurred in 40.0% [28.9–51.7%] patients. Among those who responded, 22.2% [12.2–29.7%] experienced complete suppression and 10.2% [0.2–31.9%] experienced persistent improvement at 3 months.

Conclusions:
      TENS represents a safe and feasible treatment option for tinnitus and might be a worthy consideration among the spectrum of interventions developed for tinnitus.

Source: https://journals.lww.com/otology-ne...s_Electrical_Nerve_Stimulation_for.96107.aspx

15. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I tried with my Dr Ho system (which I like for sore back / muscles), but it never did anything for my tinnitus. Placed back of neck between the lobe and ear on the ear ect. Never got benefits or adverse reaction.