Time to Say Hello

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by nologic, Jun 5, 2014.

1. nologic
      Sunshine

nologic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2006
      I've been a member of this forum for a year. I visit time to time and read, but haven't really joined by introducing myself or contributing to any topic. It's time to join.

I have had tinnitus for several years. Don't really remember how many because it's no longer important. It started off and on in my right ear. Slowly became more permanent and much louder. I guess the left ear felt left out as it now has the high pitched cicada sound, too. The loudness changes day to day. The quieter days really stand out and always surprise me. On quieter days I will sit with everything turned off and just enjoy the quiet---well, quieter time.

I did go to an ENT about a year ago. I have some hearing loss, but not bad enough to try hearing aids. The doctor was sympathetic, but offered no solutions. He also had tinnitus. The biggest frustration I have with hearing is that when the tinnitus is really loud, everything else has to be even louder for me to hear and understand. It drives my dear hubby nuts.

I do take the occasional Clonazepam--0.5mg or half of one. I take them mostly at night. Years ago a wonderful doctor prescribed them along with antidepressants to help with anxiety and depression, so I know how my body deals with them. Yes, I know the antidepressants and Clonazepam may have contributed to tinnitus. I was never around loud noise. I think the chronic ear infections as a child has a great deal to do with my tinnitus. The right ear had more infections than the left. About 15 years ago I had a virus that caused loss of hearing in my right ear. After a round of prednisone, most of the hearing returned. I wonder if that also contributed toward the tinnitus. It is frustrating to not know.

Sleep is so very important in dealing with this condition from day to day. I hate white noise or any constant sound. I need a variance in tone and pitch. I often fall asleep listening to a transistor radio through ear buds. I have a wonderful little radio that will play for 90 minutes and then shut off. I usually listen to the BBC on Public Radio, talk radio, or even sports. I like to turn the volume down so I can just hear it, but not make out the words. Sounds crazy, but it works. :) There is something about the voices on BBC at low volume that is so very relaxing. We also have a sound machine that has various sound track such as ocean, water fall, river, train.

I have a sound meter app on my phone and use it often. I have discovered that louder noise makes the tinnitus worse. I usually turn on close caption instead of turning up the TV volume. I wear ear plugs to vacuum, mow the grass and anytime I'm around loud noise. I have been know to leave the room when with friends because the sound level is just too high.

I guess my approach is adapting and finding ways to cope without thinking about it too much. I don't know if that is the best approach, but it is what has worked for me.
      It has been said that the ways I deal with life with often have nologic. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      HI nolo, 'mow the grass'? You are a keeper.:) I have 'T' for 24 years. It ain't too good these days. But I'll be back!