Tinnitus and Sweat — a Connection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bambi, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello!

First tread I´m starting, if it´s in the wrong place, or have already been discussed, I´m sorry.

After the holidays my tinnitus has spiked, and reached a higher level than it´s ever been. Worst christmas ever :( When going to bed last night, I had to concentrate on my breathing, to avoid loosing my mind.

Anyway, to the topic: is there a connection between sweat and tinnitus? Not a delicate subject, I know. When my tinnitus became so bad I had to seek medical help, three-four years ago, I talked to a doctor (not sure what his title would be in english, so I´ll only refer to him as "doctor"). While he was trying to help me figure out my tinnitus, and how to react to it, I asked him if there could be a connection between sweat/hot flushes and tinnitus. When my tinnitus is bad, I also sweat a lot, and get a lot more frequent hot flushes than normal. He said there could be that the part of the brain causing/reacting to my tinnitus, also could effect the part that has to do with temperature regulation in the body. And that this somehow could work into overdrive when my brain tried to deal with my tinnitus.

I´ve never heard of this happening to anyone else.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

2. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

I haven't heard of this before but it definitely sounds reasonable. Everyone has different tinnitus triggers and if your temperature is off perhaps your body is then under more stress which makes the ringing worse.

I do know that working out and sweating from that is supposed to increase your tinnitus temporarily because of increased blood flow. But I'm not sure in your case.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help but all any of us can do is try to relax. Easier said than done but life is better when there is less anxiety... too bad T makes that so dang hard.

3. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Id say its part of the fight or flight response..

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bambi

Bambi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you both :)