Tinnitus Woke Me Up in the Middle of the Night?

Discussion in 'Support' started by amybu22, Nov 25, 2015.

1. amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      this only used to happen at beginning and now nearly eight months on I've literally just woke up its nearly half two in the morning and my head was just full of this really loud tone and it sort of got a bit quieter but it's still there along with my usual static noise which seems louder.
      I feel sick and shaky I can't cope with this :'( keep thinking I'm habitating but then something like this happens

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Tinnitus has lately been waking me up twice. The first time tends to be about an hour and a half after I've gone to sleep, and the second time about 4:30 to 5:00 in the morning. It's always louder than baseline and feels like it's rattling my head. This used to happen a lot, about a year ago, then for a long time I was able to sleep at least 6 hours. Now it's waking me up again.

Try time-release melatonin and see if that helps you. It will probably eventually pass. It's just another strange behavior of tinnitus, and very frustrating when you need sleep to function.:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I notice if I wake up in the night or morning and had like a busy dream ,
      I wake up with ears raging and a bit out of it for a few minutes till come around...lots of love glnis

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Amybu22. Are you sleeping in a quiet room by any chance? It all depends what is causing your tinnitus. If you have normal tinnitus that was caused by exposure to loud noise/sounds, it's a good idea to use a sound machine that plays nature sounds by the bedside and set it to play throughout the night until morning. A quiet room especially at night will make the brain focus more on the T and it will seem to be louder and more intrusive.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      It took about two hours to go down to a normal level didn't get to sleep till past 4 :(
      And honestly I'm not sure what caused it, it started after my second night out in my life but I also had a really nasty ear infection at the same time so I can't say.
      Normally I can sleep without any sound machines but last night was awful dunno why it would do that was terrified

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Anyone that has intrusive tinnitus, it is always best to have a sound machine placed by the bedside and set to play throughout the night until morning. By not using a sound machine the tinnitus over time is likely to become louder and more intrusive. Even on days when the T is quiet it's best to use a SM at night. It works when we are in deep sleep, supplying the brain with sound enrichment. Over time the tinnitus is pushed further into the background making it less intrusive during waking hours. The volume of the SM should be set just below the tinnitus and not masking it or covering it up.
      Michael

7. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Yes, my T is 3 weeks old now, and this used to happen to me every night the first 1.5 weeks.. Then it relaxed and I found that upon waking in the morning it was very quiet and got louder as I exposed myself to noise throughout the day.
      Last night I woke up at 5:30 from loud ringing again.
      I'll have to have a conversation about my subconscious one day and tell it to turn that crap off indefinitely because I don't need it.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      amybu22

amybu22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Are you saying my T is gonna get worse and worse over time instead of better? :( where do you get sound machines from and what noises do they play

9. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I hope not!

10. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis hi Glynis same here. I awake and tinnitus is very loud but goes down to baseline after you come around from sleep. It puzzles me because aren't you supposed to be in a relaxed state when you are asleep so when you awake your tinnitus should be low?

11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi@Richard zurowski,
      For me it never goes but wake up with it so loud and wuzy head I need come round a few minutes before I get up.
      Then get up and ready then in go my hearing aids with maskers and then get a bit of relief....lots of love glynis .

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis . What maskers do you have. Mine is built in with my hearing aid which is a white noise.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Amybu22,
      I have no wish to frighten you and can’t predict how your tinnitus is going to react by not using a sound machine at night. However, most ENT Drs and Hearing Therapists/Audiologists recommend people with intrusive tinnitus use them and I agree with that, having had tinnitus for twenty years.

All I’m saying, it’s not good for someone with intrusive tinnitus to sleep in a quiet room. The brain and auditory system never switches off. That’s why people that are in a coma, Drs often recommend the patients’ relatives etc talk to them as the person can still hear.

When we are in deep sleep, if the brain hears silence, it has the ability to increase it’s own background activity. The tinnitus is generated in the part of the brain known as the limbic system, at the same time the tinnitus will also be increased making it more intrusive during our waking hours.

While the sound machine is supplying low-level sound enrichment (nature sounds) the brain’s auditory receptors or gateways will not open like they would in a quiet room - in fact they’ll do the opposite and close down. In doing so the tinnitus is slowly pushed into the background.

Michael

Oasis sound machines are one of the best. They have a website just google it and they can be bought at Amazon. Model S-650 is popular. You might find the articles in the links below helpful.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/an-introduction-to-tinnitus.12100/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/sound-machines-and-tinnitus.12072/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Michael Leigh. Hi well that answers my previous quote that is the one thing that puzzled me, now I know why thank you.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm pleased you find the post helpful Richard
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    16. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Richard zurowski ,
      I have maskers that I dont use now as I also have
      my duel purpose digital hearing aids that have a masker setting also that I wear daily..lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    17. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Michael,
      I used the sound machine for 2 nights with no issues. Last night I tried to sleep with it on but it seemed to make my T so much louder/more intrusive I literally could NOT fall asleep. After about 30 minutes I ended up turning it off and my T calmed down to an acceptable level almost immedately so I could fall asleep.. I 'm pretty sure I have hyperacusis as well and am not really sure how to deal with it when even the sound machine causes a reaction to my T. Seems that my T prefers quiet over noisey rooms. Yesterday in particular was a very noisy day with the kids/tvs etc which is why I'm sure it was so intrusive. Right now, I'm at work and its very quiet and I only hear the T when I focus on it.. I feel my T is not typical in the aspect where it prefers quiet so I'm starting to debate seeing the audiologist because some days my T is really really intrusive while others its managable/not there. I'm worried by waiting to seek treatment I may make it harder for myself in the long run.. Any opinions on this?

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Natalie.

What you are experiencing with the sound machine is typical and affects many people the same way. Remember, all your life up until now you've slept in a quiet room ok. Your brain and auditory system isn't used to the tinnitus that's the first thing. Introducing another sound in this case the sound machine complicates things further, I was just the same when I first got tinnitus. This is why I said to you, the sound machine takes time to get used to. Taking into account what I've said above keep the sound machine at a low volume as it maybe set to high. Sound enrichment takes time to get used to.

Just imagine you moved to a new location where there is busy road traffic near by or a train station. At first your brain will find it difficult to adjust to the background noise but after a while the brain accepts it as unimportant, and pushes further into the background. It is the same when we habituate to the tinnitus and the sound machine.

Start by turning the volume of the sound machine low, so that you can just about hear it but, it's not preventing you from sleeping. Gradually increase the volume over the next week or two. Be careful not to make the sounds coming from the sound machine cover your tinnitus.

A good sound to use is "stream" something that won't draw your brain's attention. In my opinion, when you're at work it's not a good idea to work in a quiet room. You need to slowly make your ears/auditory system and brain acclimatise to sound enrichment, it takes time. As I said, all your life you've been used to not having sound enrichment around you unless you wanted to listen to music etc.

It is very early days. I have had tinnitus for 20 years. In 2008 my tinnitus increased to excruciating levels I was at the end of my tether. On occasions when I couldn't take the noise anymore If someone gave me a bottle of pills and said- "take these and you'll be out of it". I probably would have. However, my ENT consultant said to me because I was getting depressed: " I will never give up on treating you". Her words meant so much to me. So I thought, if she's willing to still try and help me, the least I can do is try and carry on, and that's why I'm here today.

Our greatest glory is not in ever falling but getting up every time we fall.

Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your reply :) I will try to start with a lower volume at night and move up. We tried ocean surf the first night and then rain fall the second, ocean surf the next (I like the water sounds). At work, I have to wear a headset (emergency operator) and the volume is generally quiet other then the phones ringing, conversation etc. We can't really play music at our desks because we work in a small space so too much noise is overwhelming. I also can't use head phones at work. I can keep white noise maybe turned on on my phone at a very quiet volume if no one complains.. I'm glad you haven't given up and that you were lucky enough to find such a caring ENT. I have had thoughts in my mind where I think I can't deal with this every day for the rest of my life.. or what if it never gets better, or even worse what if it does get worse? What will I do? But I know its depression setting in and so I try to stop my negative thoughts right then and just take it one day at a time because thats really all we can do, right? :) I am glad you are here to give us all support!

• Like Like x 1
    20. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi Natalie,
      The extra water retention in pregnancy is enough to cause tinnitus and for some diuretics help and low salt diet but not during pregnancy....when do you start Maturninty leave ?.....lots of love glynis

21. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have been trying to limit salt/sugar intake because I read it could cause a spike. I also don't drink caffiene any longer. I wont start maternity leave until baby arrives, so mid January. :) I usually feel better at work then I do at home for some odd reason. Maybe at home I feel worse because of the tv noise which at work we don't have. I'm also preoccupied at work so I'm not thinking of my T as much..

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      It's nice be happy at work and love my job too.
      I only know you from on here and I'm getting excited for you and your little one arriving.
      Been Xmas shopping for my little grandsons presents ......lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. wishingluck
      No Mood

wishingluck Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure, but probably acoustic trauma
      same here. Does your spike goes away a while after you get up? And do you ever get the SAME when you are awake, for example during the day? I don't. It ONLY happens while I sleep.

24. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      do you ever get the same when you are awake, i.e. during the day?

25. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I disagree....It doesn't 'seem' louder. It IS louder. I sleep with a masker and with a separate source playing back an audiobook.

26. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      But having a ear infection means that the T is likely to be caused by it, so if the infection goes away, the T goes away too. What happened since then?

27. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      what's 'intrusive' tinnitus? Like, loud? It happens even with plenty of noises in my room. I sleep with a masker

28. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I made a few custom files that I listen back through earphones when I sleep. It helps me a lot. It's the sound of purple noise, falling rain, and an hairdrier on. The file lasts about 30 m to 1 h, and it loops back. I mixed the sounds with an audio program. If you want the file, let me know and I'll try to upload the file somewhere that can be downloaded from.

29. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree. I have never slept without masker, since my onset. I could not do it even if I wanted to. A cheap masker is an mp3 player, earphones, and some masking files. Lately I tried some android software on the smartphone (only got the smartphone a few weeks ago) but I use the latter to play back audiobooks at the same time.

30. wishingluck
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      your T seems very reactive. I too have 'hyperacusis' (I put quotes on because it always alternate to much better or worse). But my T is not reactive. I always use a masker