I Had a Car Accident and Now Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jayne, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Hi
      I had a car accident and am suffering with a concussion and constant ringing in my ears since November 2014. I have had test and have seen Neurologist and ENT.
      Dimes days I could just scream!!! Any suggestions or help would be great.
      Thanks

Jayne

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @Jayne
      I'd ask my regular doctor to be referred to the psychiatry department (who are medical doctors), just so you can get some medication prescribed to you which is associated with helping Tinnitus issues. Like medication in the form of a low dose of anti-depressants. Perhaps coping with T it isn't working enough and you need some drugs. Focus on sleeping good and structure your life to get back to a normal schedule where you can be distracted from the constant onslaught of T. Just a suggestion.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      James,
      Thanks for the reply. Since the accident I haven't been able to work so sitting around is frustrating. I see the doc next week and I will ask. I know it can always be worse but it is a struggle with the constant ringing.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome Jayne. You may consider masking your T if it bothers you a lot. Have you tried any white noise or nature sounds? You can download this free sound generator to you PC 'aire freshener'. It has many sounds to choose from. You can also buy a sound machine for bed time, those from Sharper Image or Homedics will be good. If you have smart phone there should be APPs for sound generation. If you have ipod like me, you can download music or nature sounds from itune or amazon. The ipod gave me mobile masking back then a few years ago when my T started. I encourage you to check out the success stories on TT as they will give you hope and insights on how to cope with T. All the best to your recovery.

5. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      Hi Jayne,

Sorry to hear about your T. Can I ask you a question? After how many days since your accident did you develop Tinnitus, was it right away or after a few days?

My Tinnitus started 50 days after an assault which triggered an ear infection so I'm not sure what caused my T.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      My T started a few days after the accident and it is 24/7. I started brain therapy for my concussion symptoms and hope they can also help with the T.
      How about you? Do you do any therapy? I have not read any success stories so far.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Ricky81
      Worried

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had high intracranial pressure after the assault so I got a Lumbar Puncture done. It lowered my T, but I still have 24/7 low whooshing sound in both ears which I only hear at night and quite rooms.

Hopefully there will be a cure for this condition in the next few years.

My dad had T for several years which went away on its own. His T started after he put water in his ears. Maybe he was trying to clean his sinus.

Did you get brain, ear mri done?
      Here are the details of my T story and mri results

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-spikes-when-i-bite-my-molars.7361/

8. Jesse Pinkman
      Badass

Jesse Pinkman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      There is definatly a link between physical trauma and tinnitus. Its most likely due to some nerve getting damaged from the trauma, wich could be seen on an MRI.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Ricky81,

Yes I had an MRI and an EEG to see if there was any nerve damage. I do have nerve damage to the vestibular nerve. I see the doc next week to get the results. Stay tuned

Glad to hear your Dad recovered. Do you know how long it took?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Jesse
      I agree almost all the cases I have read about there was some kind of trama to the head.
      How long have you had it?

11. Ricky81
      Worried

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My mri does not show any nerve damage. Only intracranial pressure pushing my optic nerve which is now resolved after a Lumbar Puncture.

Maybe the high intracraenal pressure damaged some tiny auditory nerve? Who knows. .but mri shows no nerve damage.

12. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Hi Jayne! I'm wondering how the doctors dissevered you had nerve damage? through a hearing test?

similar story here. hoe for some sort of recovery!

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jayne

Jayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Hi:

Yes I had 4 different balance test done that determined this damage. I am now going thru brain balance and vestibular therapy however it is not helping with the T so far. The therapist is optimistic though so I am not giving up hope yet.