Universal Sound Therapy (UST)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Jim
      Happy

Jim Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      This is getting more hysterical everyday. I look forward to your posts. Very amusing.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I do like a sense of humor! Good for you Jim!!!

I thought the headsets looked cool on my bichon - even took a picture of it. She doesn't go for the long 1 hour CDs ... I use the condensed one which is just for cataracts!

Well.... I am still hearing a diminished T sound for today! Faint and noticeable only when I pay attention and listen for it. Hope it just keeps getting better and better.

How's that Jim?

3. bob

bob Member

Still waiting for the cd. Can you put these headphones over your clothes since you said you put your headphones on your legs. Got a cheap cd player Wal- mart with cheap headphones with it. Do you need a good set of headphones or little earbuds work.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi bob!

I haven't seen anything about having a quality headset. Dick never mentioned it on the phone or on his site. Earbuds were less effective is all I am understanding. I use both... cheaper and expensive depending on where I am listening to the cds.

My initial cds (2) took 5 days via mail. He is working on getting downloads set up on his site. Much better for those wanting to get started quickly.

Here is his Q&A about the clothes from the site:

Q - Can I put my headphones over my clothes or do I need to have them directly on skin?
      A - Direct on skin seems to be the best, but playing the frequencies through a layer of clothing works too. Don't play the frequencies through multiple layers as it will loose some of its strength.

I am excited about you doing this and see how you do with it. I will have someone to talk to about it! Let me know when you get it!!

Be well!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      My morning T is the strongest I have decided. I have been paying attention to that level recently.

This AM it had diminished in volume. Hoping it continues in this direction!

6. bernard

bernard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      nov 1,2011
      does anyone have vibrating ears using universal sound therapy?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hi bernard!

Can you be more specific about vibrating ears? I use UST tinnitus CD - been about 41/2 weeks now.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Update on progress today.

I have only had a slight electronic type noise today. Very mild. So, mild I am sitting here in the quiet and not even hearing the pulsing difference in the tone it is that faint. It can increase slightly in volume, but nothing bothersome.

Hope it is even fainter tomorrow! ;)

4 1/2 weeks of the cd therapy today.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      6 weeks of using the Universal Sound Therapy for tinnitus.

This morning my T was way down. I am pleased and hopeful that perhaps in a couple more weeks or a month, I will be free of this "extra baggage".

I got the track for tinnitus loaded onto my cell phone and with headphones (around my neck), I am able to play the protocol several times a day while I work. I am bombarding this T thing with this sound therapy! lol

I am at a place were I notice the T less and less. I can go about my day without the 'interference" of the T disturbing me. I'd say that is a change and one for the better!

10. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Calin -
      I have had tinnitus for a couple of months. The tinnitus began after I went to the hospital for atrial fibrilation. The cause of my atrial fibrilation appears to be stress related. My heart went back into sinus rythym when I was at the hospital. As a precaution, my doctor put me on Metapropol (Lopressor) and aspirin.

When the tinnitus began, I noticed a high pitched sound in one ear, which at first wasn't very annoying. Then my ear got clogged-up with a sinus infection, and the tinnitus got louder. For the past couple of weeks I have been very focused on the tinnitus. Two days ago, it kept me up all night. Very depressing. This is the worst Christmas of my life.

I have an appointment with an otolarongolist next week. One thing that I will ask about is if the Metapropol or aspirin may have caused the tinnitus. Another possible cause was a high-pitched hard disk that was in my computer for one day. The fact that I have it in one ear is weird.

I am trying all sorts of things: Ear drops, vitamins, natural white noise. I also purchased the Universal Sound Therapy disk. I began playing it last night. It seems to be an interesting approach. I am very encouraged by the testimonials that I have read. I will try to keep this post informed.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011

Hi Karl.

Oh good - now there are a couple of us here using UST for Tinnitus.

I may have mentioned when I first came here that I suspected the metoprolol had something to do with the T. When I mentioned that to the ENT doc, he seemed to be approving of my discontinuance of the drug due to my suspicions. In fact I have stopped all High BP drugs. I have been using the UST for High BP and mine is now pretty darn good consistently. I measure it many times a day. Metoprolol lists tinnitus as a side effect. I had been taking it for years and had no clue!

The ENT also asked me about taking aspirin. I don't, so he ruled out aspirin as a cause of T.

My ENT doc said he heard a heart murmur. He thinks that may had something to do (at least partially) why I am getting the pulsing T. So.... I also got the UST cd for circulation. I have been doing that as well - and the anxiety one. I am doing everything I can to get rid of this annoying T. I should correct one word (annoying)... it does not bother me much anymore. The UST cd took care of that. I now just notice it to check for changes.

What kind of vitamins are you taking? Maybe we can compare. I am taking a bunch of them with supplements!

Stay tuned Karl! lol (get it??)

12. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Hi Calin.
      Am I glad to read your response about the Metoprolol! A pharamacist I talked to said that Metoprolol has Tinnitus as a possible side effect, but I haven't been able to find that listed anywhere. You have given me a glimmer of hope. I was taking that stupid aspirin for about two months!

The vitamins that I'm taking are called "Lipo-Flavonoid Plus". These capsules consist of Vitamins C, B-1, B-2, Niacin, B-6, B-12, Parthotheric Acid and Calcium.

I'm on day 3 of the UST. I don't know how it works, but I will give it a chance.

The source of my atrial fibrialation was STRESS. In September, my 92 year old mother broke her arm. We put her in a rehabilitation center, and medicare was running out. She could no longer live by herself. My brother and I had a difference of opinion of where she should live. I have been under a lot of stress due to my mother's situation, my job, plus the holidays.

My plan of action: 1. See the Otolaryngologist on Wednesday. 2. Get off Metoprolol gradually. 3, Perhaps try an anti-depressant, like Cymbalta. 4. Keep using the UST.

The past year, I have been taking jazz guitar lessons. The Tinnitus is really depressing me, because my ears and music are very important to me. Gettting enough sleep is the my major priority. Last night I took Melatonin, which seemed to help.

Thank you so much for this discussion.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Melatonin is great! I started taking it about 6 weeks ago and I sleep through the night. That is good for me! I use the liquid kind and don't take the full dose. works just great.

I used to have to sleep with a rain and thunder CD to distract me from hearing the T so I could get to sleep. the T is not bothersome that much - yes I notice it and especially in bed as it is quiet and more noticable. but, the CD must be helping me cope as well as the reduced volume. sometime it is very faint. cool!

I still have some time to go I think on the cd. I am on week 6 going on 7.

I take many more supplements than you do! haha. I will list them (or I have somewhere here) if you wish.

Plan on going for weeks on the cd. Don't put too much expectation in the effects and healing time as the body must take time to align with healthy frequencies again.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I had a nice Christmas present yesterday. My T was not noticeable for hours yesterday I would say. I can't be exact as to how long - only when I first noticed the silence. It lasted all the way up until I got into bed. Then I heard the T again. It was there when I woke and still there now... about 2 hours. It gets fainter the longer I am up.

Interesting change.

I bought the candida UST sound therapy for my niece, but listened to it several times in the last couple of days. I just load up my cell phone with the sound therapy protocols and let them play one after the other as I go about my day. I read that candida can be harmful causing Tinnitus, so I tried it as a "what the heck- try everything!"

15. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      I read a book, "Tinnutus Miracle" by Thomas Coleman, which I purchased from his website. He explains just about everything anyone would want to know about Tinnitus.

Coleman mentions the use of Klonopin for Tinnitus suffers for getting sleep. I had taken this about 10 years ago. It works great, but it can lead to depression in some people. This is my big concern, because 9 years ago I suffered from depression. I will try the melatonin again.

Tomorrow I see the Otolaryngologist. It can take weeks to get an appointment with these doctors.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Good luck Karl with the Otolaryngologist. I had to be tested with an audiologist first before he would see me to rule out hearing loss s a cause. The doctor found a heart murmur and cleaned the wax out of my ears. He also want;s me to have an MRI and a sonogram for cardio vascular issue in neck.

Do you have pulsing tinnitus?

You are right - weeks for an appointment.

17. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      My appointment with the Otolaryngologist was a disappointment. It was the first time that I met this young doctor. Basically, "Sorry, there is no cure. You'll need to live with Tinitus". Also, I found that my blood pressure is very high since I skipped taking Metaprolol for only one day!

To make matters worse, my wife is completely unsympathetic. She describes Tinnitus as "a little buzzing in my head". After 24 years of marriage, once again she demonstrates her lack of empathic skills. I am on my own with this "little buzzing problem", searching for support from strangers on blogs like this! It's not enough I support the family, will be paying for college for our daughters, and I'm taking care of my 92 year old mother!

I certainly hope that the UST may work eventually, for a neurological reason. Based on what I read in "Tinnitus Miracle", there is frequently a mental connection with the perceived sounds in our heads and a negative emotion, causing a feedback loop in the brain. Thomas Coleman explains, "In other words, without a negative reaction, the loop cannot be established, and this why some people barely notice their Tinnitus, and others are greatly disturbed by it." It makes senses. Perhaps "too much sense", but I'm open to this idea!

If the "feedback loop" applies to my Tinnitus, I think this sound started a couple of months ago, but I began dwelling on it just recently. I made a mental connection which I cannot break. I seem to be good at that.

Coleman's book discusses how to break this negative emotional loop. I haven't finished reading the book yet, but I did read that one approach to "breaking the loop" is to disensitize ourselves to the sound by listening to similar sounds. It would appear logical that the UST works that way, because the buzzing on the UST is very similar to Tinnitus.

18. bob

bob Member

Big write up in our newspaper last nite about tinnitus, I do beleive the only hope is a hearing aid to quiet things down Tried one on couple of weeks ago, it was beautiful no chirping crickets. Tried the cd Calin was talking about already sent that back in the mail. I'm tring to find a cheap hearing aid just to wear at night. Blood pressure could be part of your problem. Mine just bothers me at nite time, usually run a humfider all nite, it's about the perfect noise for me. Have to beleive their will be a cure for this sympton since it is not called a disease

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      hana... my ENT was in his 80s! No kidding!

At least he cleaned out the small bit of wax in my ears and tested my heart and heard a murmur.

Yes, I tend to agree that the T could be an underlying emotional issue.

Ya know, I found the easiest way to get people to understand what the T is like is to have them hear what it sounds like... for more than a minute or so. One example I recently had the chance to show someone was the incident of the leaky toilet. You know how toilets can get a leak and the innards need to be replaced? Well, that happened in my house. When the innards were replaced my partner commented how silent it was now that the constant running water was fixed. I mentioned that it is not as bad as I was experiencing and how great that would be to have silence for me! Instant empathize!

There are also examples of tinnitus sounds on the internet. Just google or go to You tube.

The doctor told me I could cease metoprolol as I was down to 25 mg per day. I also take supplements and do the deep breathing exercises to gain more nitric oxide in my system to widen the arteries. I also do a sound therapy for the high BP. My BP is good now after 35 years. If I get too hypertensive for some reason I can always take an ativan for immediate effect.

I bought the Tinnitus Miracle but only skimmed it.

Did you know that just the anxiety of going to the doctors can elevate your BP? One of the doctors I see doesn't wear the white coat because of the "white coat syndrome" experienced by patients who have high BP.

Thanks for that detailed post!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      My employee wears a hearing aid for his hyperacusis. He developed it after having surgery.

Sorry bob that you didn't take more time with the cd. My T is fading tremendously. It is not a quick fix and of course I don't expect it to based on the technology. I am giving it 3 - 4 months. Even if it doesn't ever cure me, the reduction in volume and intensity alone is beneficial! I do have no T on occasion... hopefully the quiet time will become a regular occurrence.

But you know, not every one has T for the same reasons and the "cure" is not the same for everyone either. I can't believe how many things can cause T. that's why they say to go the te otolaryngologist and get checked - and do MRIs and sonograms, etc.

Wishing you the best bob!

21. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Calin -
      Perhaps you're right about the "white coat syndrome". I was putting a lot of faith in my exam with this doctor.

If anyone wants to know with my T sounds like, the UST is very similar. I may ask my wife to listen, then, "Now how would like hearing that 24 hours a day?"

I have poor coping skills in certain situations. If I "can't find a way out", I get desperate, like I'm a caged animal.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    23. LWits

LWits Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05
      THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I stumbled upon this forum yesterday while looking for reviews of the Universal Sound Therapy. I was looking for help with inflammation, but when this site was one of the results on my Google search, I clicked. I didn't know there was any help for tinnitus. I've had mild tinnitus for five or six years now. It's a hissing sound, mostly in my left ear. I forget about it in noisy places, but it's very annoying when I'm in a quiet place. (I know I'm lucky to have had such a mild case.)

ANYWAY...I watched the video and, even though it sounded crazy, I tried the electric toothbrush thing last night. My tinnitus disappeared completely for about thirty seconds, then came back. I was shocked. It was actually a little unnerving, not to be hearing anything but silence. Even though it came back, I decided it was worth trying again. I did it again this morning and thought I noticed a slight diminution, but not much of a change overall. And then, a little while ago, I realized that I have SILENCE in my ears.

IT'S GONE. I started walking all over the house, trying to find the quietest spot, lol, and no matter where I go, I can't hear the hissing in my ears anymore.

According to what I read online last night, it can come back and then you have to do the toothbrush thing again. I don't care. This is unbelievable.

I don't know if it would work for everyone, but I wanted to let people know that it helped me, and it might help other people.

Thank you again, Calin, for posting this information.

24. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      LWits -
      This is GREATEST NEWS for you!

I also came across Calin's earlier post about the toothbrush. Dr. Douilards' remedy makes sense: Basically crap from sinus infections/allergies may accumulate on ear hairs, causing Tinnitus, which can be shaken loose by a sonic toothbrush. It's surprising this remedy hasn't been discovered before.

I've been trying the toothbrush thing for about 4-5 days, but haven't been successful. Next time I will try it longer. The only worry is, the vibrations from the toothbrush get really loud!

I've had Tinitus a few weeks now. It started when my ear got all clogged-up, for some reason. I saw my psychiatrist twice this week. Now I'm on an antidepressant, Remeron. I have an appointment with an audiologist in 3 weeks.

You have given me new hope. God, I hate this thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      LWits.... Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Mine always disappeared for moments after the sonic tootbrush treatment too. Came back though.

I just tried it again and the hissing (like yours, but with pulsing) returned. Maybe a bit softer. I will give it a go now more often.

So tell us... has it returned?

Thanks soooo much for sharing your good news! That's what this forum is all about!

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      What about if you put some cotton or plugs in your ears when you toothbrush your ears? (haha - that sounds funny)

27. LWits

LWits Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05
      Update:

Well, I was so busy telling everyone about my tinnitus disappearing that I forgot to use the toothbrush again Friday night! Saturday I was away from home all day and didn't even think about it until the hissing came back that evening. It was an overnight trip so I wasn't able to use the electric toothbrush again until late last night. No real change (after a momentary respite, just like the first time). Used it this morning and the tinnitus has diminished again somewhat, but is not completely gone.

I will have to remember to do it twice a day, and will report back at the end of the week. I'm still hopeful.... :)

28. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      LWits -
      What type of toothbrush do you use?
      I use a Philips SoniCare. I think it's ultrasonic, but not quite sure. Would like to compare specs to your toothbrush.

29. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Calin -
      You said earlier that you discontinued Metoprolol. Did you specifically ask your doctor to eliminate because of your Tinnitus?

I am on a low dose of Metoprolol. Began taking it in October. I asked my doctor if I can try stopping the Metoprolol. He agreed to give it a try.

Unfortunately, my BP shot way up. I was obsessively taking my BP every hour-on-the-hour. My doctor said that my BP went up due to my anxiety. I freaked-out so bad, that I went back to taking the Metoprolol.

I've been taking an antidepressant, Remeron, since last Wednesday, which seems to help some with my anxiety. But the Tinnitus seems loud sometimes, then soft othertimes.

Did you eliminate Metoprolol because of Tinnitus?

30. Judy

Judy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Tinnitus since 2009
      I am very skeptical about trying new things for Tinnitus, but at this point, I need something that really works. You mentioned before that your hearing is ok, mine is fine as well. An Audiologist told me that I had very good hearing. However, my Tinnitus seems to be increasing every day. - I do not have Pulsatile Tinnitus. I need something that really works; Do you really think that UST works? I am just tired of reading about negative things about T (that I shouldn't eat this or that, that I should sleep in certain positions, that I shouldn't go to the movies, or go to parties, that there is no cure... etc).