Universal Sound Therapy (UST)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Thanks for the suggestions, Calin! A customized UST cd might just work for me. Since we know pulsatile tinnitus is vascular, the circulation part makes sense. The hearling loss, too. It's worth a try, anyway.

Yes, I listen to the Alignment portion every day, as part of my routine. Haven't skipped a day yet! Then, I listen to the Tinnitus portion about 3 times a day. I always start with the Alignment first, then the Tinnitus.

The liquid melatonin is worth a try, too, for insomnia. Right now, I'm taking 2 magnesium chloride tablets about an hour before bedtime. About 2 hours before bedtime, I take 3 "Restful Sleep" tablets (Golden Flower chinese herbal, from my acupuncturist). Sometimes this combination works great, sometimes not. I also take (but not every day) tart cherry juice concentrate, which is supposed to have natural melatonin properties.

My blood pressure (ironically, this is what started my whole problem in the first place!) is very good almost all the time now. I take only natural supplements, such as COQ10 and fish oil, to keep it under control.

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad to hear that your pulsating and ringing are so much better; that really gives me hope.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Logging progress so far on UST and self-help methods for Tinnitus... my journal. I hadn't realized until now that this is a 5 month anniversary since I have developed a daily ritual for all these months. Since some here want me removed, please skip over this entry so you are not annoyed. Thanks!

Sooooo....5 months today with UST.

This morning I actually became aware that the volume diminished yet again. Last night I noticed that as well, but wanted to see if the decrease lasted. Since my T is the highest upon waking, I found this to be more encouraging. My mind thinks that it is just a matter of time. Slow but steady is good enough for me!!!!

I keep thinking that it is hard to measure the level of T with any accuracy. At least for me. With what I am hearing now compared to the loudest I experienced, I just can't wrap my head around how totally irritating that was months ago!!!! During this experience of T, I have had only a few moments of no audible T - just moments - but, overall, a steady decrease during my active hands-on endeavor to heal myself. The pulsing is usually there as well.

I am taking so many supplements that I had to get one of those big pill organizers to keep track of my intake daily. Actually 2 of them - am and pm. My counter in the kitchen has the inositol to mix with my super greens and vitamin drink each morning and evening as well. At work I also have the Hawtorne capsules that I take during the day (3 times per day). So, since I am using this venue to log this tinnitus experience I will list my supplements as well as the UST therapies.

Oh... I changed my toothpaste and mouthwash - Vita-myr with zinc and CoQ10

Here goes.... lol
      taurine, l-theanine, hawthorne, cal-mag, oQ10, fish oil, probiotics, cucurmin, garlic, resveratrol, grape seed ginkgo biloba, vit D3, celedrin, multiple vitamin powder, inositol (6 grams), super greens, melatonin (a wee bit in the pm), green teas, sleepy time tea and tension tamer tea. I added detox tea in the mid-morning to take for a short while days ago.

Since I went off my blood pressure medication (beta blocker) when I developed the tinnitus, my BP has been great for my age and stressors. Less than 130/80 most of the time. Simple deep breathing exercises and the UST therapy helps bring it under control if needed.

I use the UST therapies daily. I also have others I am working with to assist with other bodily issues. But, the tinnitus one I usually get to daily. Me and my headset are best friends now! lol Putting the cds n my android phone helps make it convenient.

ps... Thanks Mark for your patience and allowing me to continue with my journaling.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Calin - Thanks for the update! Great progress --- and all natural,too! Can't wait to hear how you're doing at 6 months' UST usage.

I've been using the UST for a little over 3 months now, but haven't seen the progress you have. However, I'll keep plugging away at it; at least it has taken the edge off.

Keep up the great progress -- and the updates!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Thanks for your lovely reply.

I am thinking that I might try another alternative treatment by then along with what I am currently doing if I am not free from this annoyance! I am thinking the Magnetic Wave Therapy (electro-accupuncture). I posted a thread on that somewhere here.

I sent you a private conversation... I think that is a private message. I am not familiar with this label, so I hope you get it.

Best wishes for your improvement!

5. johnwlsn

johnwlsn Guest

hi......
      I am john Wilson last year medical student now working as a health consultant at stockmeds.com

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      My update for today....

I gave a feedback about the first go around with rife digital in the other thread.

I went to see my primary doc today and give feedback on tinnitus journey ... among other things.

I told her that I am seeing research about serotonin levels being a concern regarding tinnitus. so..... I asked her about getting a neurotransmitter urine test. She had to look it up - she never requested one and didn't know if there was such a thing! There is! It's a 24 hour urine for catecholamines. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003613.htm

I was given a brown plastic jug to use for 24 hours and return it for lab work.

How fun is that??!!! lol

My medical coverage allows free lab work! Cool, huh?!

I am not sure if there is a way to measure the serotonin level with this test, but what the heck!

When I told my doc about the heart murmur the ENT doc said he heard, she was surprised as it had not shown up in my EKGs. She listened to my heart and found no murmur. She also listened to my carotid artery in my neck (am supposed to have an ultrasound to detect blockages) and said it sounded like my blood was flowing nicely. I will still do the ultrasound but probably not the MRI which I have been approved for.

That's it for today. This tinnitus is sure taking me up some new and interesting paths! Learning a bunch of stuff too!

I sure hope the world doesn't end in Dec 3012! At least not before I am cured of this "noise" in my head!

7. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the update, Calin! You're going through some of the same things I went through as regards the pulsating tinnitus. My doctor thought he heard a heart murmur, but no tests proved anything. I've had the carotid ultrasound, and they found nothing. Same with the MRI/MRA and CT scan. Don't know where to go from here, and still hear (and feel) the pulsating. I'll be interested to hear about the results of your catecholamine test. Keep us posted!

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh wow... I must have missed that post about the heart murmur.... or I am not taking enough ginkgo biloba! hahaha

I should take the ultrasound just to see what my artery looks like. What did your looks like Karen?

9. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didn't mention the heart murmur (probably should have) because another doctor checked me, and couldn't find anything.

My carotid artery test came back within normal range. They said there was minimal to mild plaque buildup, but it was considered to be insignificant. Blood velocities were within normal limits (below 110 centimeters per second). I'm 65 years old, so this is probably pretty normal for an old gal!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh! good to hear! that's what I am thinking about mine... but no harm to check it out.

Are you following me with the Rife machine thread?

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I am. You really do a great job of giving us a blow-by-blow description of how you feel! Will keep watching that thread, too. Best of luck on your carotid artery scan.

Since this is the UST thread, I'd like to report that I've been using the UST for tinnitus for over 3 months. What it does for me is take away the "edge" of the tinnitus, but it has not cured it. It's a life-saver for me in the evenings, since listening to sound in my right ear is the only way I can watch television (something about the sound level makes my tinnitus seem worse, especially in the evening). I'm not planning to return the CD for a refund, because it has helped me --- but not cured me, so far.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Well, at least you are not going crazy at night! You are finding some comfort with the UST.

Has the T diminished any at all?

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I think it has diminished. I'm not so bothered by it during the day any more. It's in the evening that I have the worst problems. I'm not giving up, though! Will continue using the UST daily, taking vitamins and herbs, acupuncture, etc.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Great! I have a feeling that the kind of therapy we are doing requires taking some time for the body to assimilate the correct healthy states. Hang in there! No cures yet out there!

I am going to give my body a break from UST and Rife for the rest of this afternoon. I will do some other UST treatments later and give my tinnitus issue a break. Beside, I want to see if there is any further changes since the Rife.

I emailed Dick and Magg (UST) about a possible conflict between the two protocols. They weren't sure, but will do some research and get back to me.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Today is the collecting of urine - 24 hours - for my neurotransmitter lab workup. Fun stuff! ;)

I am curious how about my levels since I found the research attributing to serotonin/GABA levels - see https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...tments-for-tinnitus-says-dr-tzounopoulos.296/ "This means that agents that increase GABA-mediated inhibition might be effective treatments for tinnitus, he added."

I think there was another thread here about that although I don't want to go looking for it right now..... too much stuff for me to keep up with.

Some back ground about why I want my levels checked....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/n/neurotransmitter.htm
      Neurotransmitter

Neurotransmitters are chemicals that are used to relay, amplify and modulate electrical signals between a neuron and another cell.
      Substances that act as neurotransmitters can be roughly categorized into three major groups: (1) amino acids (primarily glutamic acid, GABA, aspartic acid & glycine), (2) peptides (vasopressin, somatostatin, neurotensin, etc.) and (3) monoamines (norepinephrine NA, dopamine DA & serotonin 5-HT) plus acetylcholine (ACh).
      The major "workhorse" neurotransmitters of the brain are glutamic acid (=glutamate) and GABA.
      For more information about the topic Neurotransmitter, read the full article at Wikipedia.org, or see the following related articles:
      Motor neuron — In vertebrates, motor neurons (also called motoneurons) are efferent neurons that originate in the spinal cord and synapse with muscle fibers to ... > read more
      32px-Portal.svg.png Neurobiology — Neurobiology is the study of cells of the nervous system and the organization of these cells into functional circuits that process information and ... > read more
      150px-Serotonin-skeletal.png Serotonin — Serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine, or 5-HT) is a monoamine neurotransmitter synthesised in serotonergic neurons in the central nervous system and ... > read more
      33px-Circle-contradict.svg.png Glutamic acid — Glutamate is a key molecule in cellular metabolism. In humans, dietary proteins are broken down by digestion into amino acids, which serves as ... > read more

The test I am taking is for catecholamines -
      Catecholamines - urine

Catecholamines are small substances made by nerve tissue (including the brain) and the adrenal gland.
      The major catecholamines are dopamine, norepinephrine, and epinephrine. These substances break down into other substances, which leave your body through your urine.
      A urine test can be done to measure the level of catecholamines in your body.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      My tinnitus was louder when going to sleep last night than what it has been in some time. Bothered me - hard to get to sleep.Upon awakening, it was weak again. :( Rife changed the cycle?? don't know... the pattern changed. Of course I had to also deal with the urine collection thing after I got to sleep which was distracting to regular sleep patterns. I always have to go at least once a night.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Had a decent night - tinnitus low enough to doze off ok - with my liquid melatonin of course.

Right now, it is very very low.

I get the sense that the sound is more in my head and it emanates or echos out to the ear canal area so that I sense it coming from my ears. There is a strong pulse spot right next to the ear flap. The pulse there matches the pulse of the tinnitus.

Oh, my right ear is quiet most times. Sometimes I think I hear it, but it is really in my head area. That's why I don't hear it most times when I close the ear flap.

I picked up on my UST treatment yesterday. Did it only once.

I know it helps but very slowly. I feel safe using it. It has done no harm or given me any surprises. I like that. I don't need panic on top of tinnitus.

I also do a kind of meditation... eyes open and closed. It is really not meditation, but that is the best way I can describe it. It takes the edge off big time. I also think my tinnitus is much quieter after doing it. I will post sometime soon what I do and you can try it out and see if it helps you.

Checked again - I have to close the right ear flap to check. Nope - Still no tinnitus sound. Boy that feels good. Very encouraging. However when the tinnitus is at it's loudest it carries through to the other side of my brain/ head giving me the sense it is in my ear area. Not of the ear, but in the ear area.

Does anyone else get the sense that it is more in the side of the head area?

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/non-rx-methods-for-taking-the-edge-off-tinnitus-sufferers.351/

19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I feel that it's more in the side of the head area. I especially notice it at the worst time of my day (afternoon/evening),
      when the pulsating/ringing is at its worst. Sometimes it has felt as if the whole side of my head is vibrating; that's when I have the most trouble with this cursed condition!

Glad to hear that you're doing better; you are so good at describing what you're going through when you test these different therapies. What would we do without you!! I really enjoy reading your posts; you give me hope on a daily basis. It sounds like you're benefitting from a combination of everything: The Rife, the supplements, the meditation, the UST....all of it. Maybe that really is the best way we can heal ourselves --- through a combination of treatments.

My tinnitus is quieter today, and I'm feeling better. Your post really makes me feel like we're going in the right direction!

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Yeah for quieter and feeling better!!!

Are you able to do the Gate Technique "meditation"???

Yep... combination of stuff relieves the expectation and waiting around for just one kind of treatment at a time to work. I like to throw everything at it! haha

Last night before taking my melatonin and going to bed I noticed a sudden change in the tinnitus. It's like the tinnitus volume or pitch switches. I get that once in a while. It's like the brain signals decide it has enough of that frequency and switches. bizarre!

So, I did a quick round of listening to the Gate Technique with my modification and the volume stayed down when I went to bed. And of course... my tinnitus loves me sooo much it is there for me when I wake! Tenacious thing for sure! lol

Even when the tinnitus volume is low, I still can allow it to bother me. When that happens I put a slight pressure on the acupuncture point (just outside of the ear flaps) and close off the outside noise. I listen to my breathing and tinnitus sound in my brain. I keep listening to the sound and "watch" it. Literally become aware without judging it complaining about it. I then move into a quiet space - no thought - which is peaceful and restful. If thoughts reappear I focus on the tinnitus and watch it some more until my thoughts fade and I am in the no thought place. Peaceful again. I do this for some minutes and by the time the recording is done (if I am listening to it) I am very peaceful. When I notice the tinnitus again minutes or an hour later, it is low enough to ignore. Sometimes I will think "shhhh" or think the word "quiet" or "silence".... Seems to help me.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      geez.... I just had a weird experience.

I turned on my computer at home (I have two - one at work) and I was getting this tone. Not the tinnitus tone I always hear, but a mid range one....in my right ear. That is the ear that is mostly free now of the tinnitus tone.

I turned my head and the noise softened. I left the room and the tone faded. I turned off the computer and the tone ended. I turned on the computer and put my ear close the computer. Couldn't identify the tone emanating from the computer box. I only heard the tone in the air around the computer.

What am I now??? Some kind of frequency receiver???????? geeez!

This freaked me out at first. I certainly don't want another friggin tone going on!!!

Anyway, I put on my headsets and am playing the UST tinnitus protocol. It is making me feel better!

Does this happen to anybody else or am I nuts?

(Don't answer that Jim! lol)

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
    23. Molan
      No Mood

Molan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Calin yet more excellent posts!!

You might be very interested to know that I read somewhere that when that Russian woodpecker satalite was switched on decades ago people in American citys reported ringing in the ears?? The woodpecker made a high pitched ringing sound.

Maybe when the brain turns up the power in response to hearing loss it can now pick up all these crazy frequincies!

Like they say truth can be stranger then fiction!

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Oh wow! never heard of that!

I am picking up a faint repeat of the weird frequency again. I am not as freaked about it now as I know it will cease when I turn off my computer.

The above cymatics video is what UST is based on.

Appreciate your feedback and responses. ;)

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      I am almost afraid to type this, but my tinnitus just went down another notch. And it has sustained that lower volume for many hours today..... and continuing right now.

Just before I noticed it in the early afternoon time , I sensed something was different. It's strange how one gets used to the sound in the background.I had to go to a qyiet area at woek and close my ears and listen attentively for the tinnitus sounds. Very very weak.

So, when I noticed that, I closed my ear flaps, and closed my eyes and put light pressure in the acupuncture point (you can feel your pulse there). I watched the very faint sound until my thoughts stopped and I rested in that peaceful place. I just kept doing that over and over as the thoughts just keep on coming. I did that about every hour... for minutes at a time.

Sometimes I would visualize lit up places in the brain where the tinnitus was mapped on MRIs (pictures shown on research sites for tinnitus) and mentally faded out the brightness until there was no lit areas in the brain. Visualization.... Other times I would just watch/listen to my breathing in my head. You can hear it really well when your ears flaps are closed off. When you watch your breathing, your thoughts stop....then one becomes relaxed and at ease.

Every time I did this I slowly came back to normal functioning as the exercise would set me into a deep meditation type rest. It isn't very comfortable to be jarrred out of a state like that.

Oh, I am trying to be calm about this "change" in intensity. I seem to be a bit anxious... wondering if I will get blasted when I go to bed or when I wake up to make up for the good progress. lol

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      journaling........

My tinnitus as usual increased after going to bed, but not blasting as I was worried about. whew.. Pattern is still pretty much the same.

I had to get up as usual to eliminate the Sleepy Time Tea I take each night and did a round of my "one minute meditation" - happily, that did the trick. The volume went down to a whisper.

When I got up this morning, it was lower than it has been. Another round of the one minute meditation and it is back to the whisper.

40 minutes after getting up (now), I did another round of one minute meditation and it went down even more.

(My "one minute meditation" is short for what I am doing. Close ear flaps with index fingers applying light pressure on the acupuncture point, eyes open or closed, watching my tinnitus until thoughts fade and I go to a peaceful/quiet state. Or visualize the brain circuitry lit up for the tinnitus and then fading to dark. Or using words like quiet or shhhh, or silence and watching it. Or, becoming aware of breathing and stopping thoughts.)

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Sunday (day before yesterday) my T was a bit stronger. Did the usual OMM.

Monday it seemed much better - all day. At bedtime T was weaker than ever for that time period.

This morning, I woke up to the closest to quiet since I got the issue. The T started creeping in and seems to be more balanced in right and left ear (middle of head) now. Still faint - so much so that it's hard to distinguish the pulse. I even noticed the abrupt change from quiet to faint ... like a light switch turn on.

When the T is at it lowest, I started adding to my OMM thinking the words yes, yes, yes. It's an instant release in tension about the T.

As far as the UST that I have done lately ... the hearing loss, circulation and tinnitus ones.

Noticed my body Ph level was 6.9-7.2 range - steady. I check my urine ph levels twice a day at least. Don't know if that is an indicator of anything.

With the tinnitus this low over the last day, I have been much calmer. It's amazing how much the T can keep you a bit more tense.

Hoping the T stays low and even fades back to the place it was when I woke. That would be a very good change.

• Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Last night as I was dozing off in bed I became aware of a slight twinch in my head. A mild headache I would say. I then realized everything was quiet. I got nervous thinking that I lost my hearing. I sat up and then realized that I heard dogs barking in the neighborhood - it was about 11pm. Whew. I hadn't lost my hearing. I then focused on what was happening with my tinnitus. I closed my ear flaps and listening attentively. I could barely make out a whisper of it in my right ear. I talked myself into thinking that was good sign as opposed to it being something to be alarmed about and went to sleep with my rain and thunder cd playing.

This morning when I woke, the tinnitus was there but still very low. It is still very low now.

It's funny how I got nervous when I couldn't hear the usual constant tinnitus. I got so used to it that I thought something was wrong with my brain!

I am still taking the DE, the usual supplements, doing all the OMM and UST therapies. Albeit, not as much as, the tinnitus is not getting most of my attention. I still have times when it is of a higher volume and when it is barely noticeable.

29. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow! That is great news, Calin. It sounds like all your therapies are working well for you. Do you think getting back to taking the DE has improved things any?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      calin
      Inspired

calin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2011
      Hey Karen!

I don't know ... I am just taking it day by day. I think to myself that every day I am getting better and better.

I am not quite sure why DE would make a difference other than what is known about silica being beneficial to our body. I am still trying to get more on that. Not much out there.

Nice of you to care and chat with me about this! ;)

It sure would be helpful if someone else would try it and see what happens. I guess it takes about a month based n the one article I posted.