Why is tinnitus louder in the middle of night?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Asian, May 1, 2014.

1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Why is this T screaming in the middle of night when I wake up ? And it settles down fairly quickly it seems . Is it common with most of us ? It freaks me out every time and thinking it will be like this for the rest of my life :(

2. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Yes mine is worse at night - before bed, going to sleep, when I wake up - when I actually get up it tends to settle down very quickly. I suppose it's better than being loud all day.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I guess it has to do with our head/neck position ? Just wondering:sorry:

4. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      My T is like almost gone during the day
      And now that its gettin late the hissin
      And windchimes are gettin lil bit louder.. And lately ive been getting fleeting T every night too which scares me... Weird how it happens.

5. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      My T is loud when I wake up to go to the restroom at night but I have been falling back to sleep--don't ask me how--I just acknowledge it then go back to sleep. My T is also loud in the morning but changes during the morning to either a loud day (mostly) or the twinkling/squealing noise--those days are great!

• Like Like x 1
    6. jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Mine is fully awake in the morning I have those windchimes and what I describe as someone tapping on a hollow pipe. It really scares me I get a little sick of my stomach but I try and take deep breaths and listen to nature sounds it doesn't mask it but it helps. A early bath helps to.

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Mine is just the opposite -- It's at its quietest in the morning when I get up, then gets gradually louder as the day wears on. It is at its worst in the late afternoon and early evening, then tapers off (or at least seems calmer) in the late evening.
      Weird!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I used to have the same in the beginning - T got very loud at night and then settled when I woke up for a while. Now luckily it's improved. Maybe it's part of habituation...

• Like Like x 2
    9. tychobrae
      Alone

tychobrae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2008
      I always assumed it seemed louder at night just because there are less sounds around to distract from it, in the same way that pain can seem worse night because there's nothing happening to distract from it so you tend to focus on it more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I wonder if people who consider themselves to be habituated still have problems
      at night sleeping??

11. Maddy
      Doubtful

Maddy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/3/14
      My T is always extremely loud when I wake up in the night, sometimes louder than it's ever been before but whenever I wake up in the morning it seems barely noticeable until I get up and start doing things! Recently though the loud T at night has not been bothering me, I get up, acknowledge it, go to the bathroom, and eventually fall back to sleep in bed! Weird!

12. sgal

sgal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? probably hearing loss.
      I first got T 8 or so years ago and I can tell you that once I had completely habituated, it didn't bother me at all at night. Now, I'm dealing with new T sounds and volume and I'm having to habituate again. At the moment, it does bother me at night but I hope to get to the place I was with it before.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      One other theory in my case is the change in background noise I have used. In the beginning I put a fan on but then later changed the sound to rainfall (http://rain.simplynoise.com). The fan noise was probably too low in frequency for my high pitched T. Rainfall is MUCH better. I actually enjoy it now a lot and would probably continue to use it even if my T would disapper! :)

14. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      I was masking for 2-3 hours a night before going to sleep it was giving me relief
      and about 5 hours of sleep. I am still doing this but it does not have the same effect?
      I might have to sleep in a different room my Wife refuses to have a sound machine
      in the room.